shape
carat
color
clarity

Does anyone have...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Leila

Brilliant_Rock
Does anyone have a diamond that does not have a faceted girdle? And does its appearance bother you? I''m considering a stone that has a bruted girdle and since I''ve never seen a diamond with this type of girdle, I''m a little concerned. BTW, it''s a H&A J colored diamond with thin to medium girdle. I''d really appreciate any thoughts on this. Thanks!

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
When I came into the trade there were few if any faceted girdles and stones were beautiful. Now there are few bruted girdles, and stones are beautiful.

In truth, stones are MORE beautiful today because we know more about cutting, when I came into the trade more than thirty years ago there were no EightStars or Hearts and Arrows but still many stones were very beautiful.

Your stone may or may not be beautiful, depending on many factores, the bruting or faceting of the girdle will be only one of the factors, and if the stone is properly cut, only a very minor factor.

Wink

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
Leila, I have a bruted girdle. It does not bother me at all. Futhermore, no one else who has looked at the diamond has noticed it either. Most of the time, I don't even think about it. My diamond is a .76 carat. I do not know if it's smaller size is the reason I don't notice it or not. But again it does not bother me at all. What size is the diamond you are considering? BTW, my girdle is graded as thin to medium by the GIA as well. Hope this helps.

Shay

Edited to add: My stone is a Superbcert H&A color I.

mrs jam

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Leila,

I do have a diamond that does not have a faceted girdle, but it's an old european cut, so the cut differences between that and an H&A won't lend themselves to a comparison.

My OEC (VS1, L color)has a "frosted" girdle, and it's still a very sparkly stone. I don't know if the type of girdle affects the light leakage or brilliance of a stone. I'll be interested in what the experts say, too!

Edited to add that while my sloowwww computer submitted this, the experts had already responded!
twirl.gif

Leila

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the responses. The diamond I'm considering is 0.82ct: http://www.goodoldgold.com/0_82ct_j_vs1_h%26a.htm
Shay and Mrs. Jam, I've read in other threads that the bruted girdle gets dirty a lot easier than a faceted one. Do you find this true with your diamond?

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
Nope. I clean my diamond every day, though. I can't stand a dirty diamond.

Shay

caratgirl

Brilliant_Rock
I had a 1.48ct J color stone (not H&A or ideal cut), and the girdle was bruted as well. The girdle was thin to med, GIA. I did notice the slightly frosted look from the side, but it made no difference to the look of the diamond from the top. I also kept mine clean, so never noticed a dirt buildup of any sort. I now have a diamond with a faceted girdle, and I do prefer that, since I have a very open setting from the side.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results