shape
carat
color
clarity

Does anyone have the *authentic* Italian recipe for tiramisu...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
...that's also idiot-proof, LOL?

I've loved this dessert for yonks and have wanted to make it for even longer!
1.gif

There are so many recipes on the internet and I am so confused! Some recipes call for beating the eggs into a bowl over boiling water. Seems a bit complicated for me.

I don't make desserts very often (for obvious reasons
2.gif
9.gif
), but would LOVE to be able to make this. Would love to learn to make it the authentic way, provided it's not too complicated, he he.

Thanks.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''ve always found Giada''s recipes to be pretty authentic and fool proof. Have you looked on foodnetwork.com?

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
It''s not too hard at all IMO. I also was going to point you towards Giada''s recipes. Depending on who you learn your recipe from in Italy they are all a bit different. It''s like making anything that is a staple/common, everyone has their own variation.

This recipe is very basic and easy but looks good to me. It''s very similar to one that my host grandmother gave me when I was living in Italy. I can''t find that one for you right now but I know it has the same basic ingredients and techniques.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada-de-laurentiis/tiramisu-recipe/index.html

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yummm...now I have a craving...

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm curious to know what a really 'authentic' recipe is from Italy since I have seen so many variations.

The best ones I have had I would imagine are pretty traditional... I LOVE making it, and the recipe I use is one in this old cookbook I have had for about 15 years. It is one that does not cook the egg yolks though. The typical method I think is to make it in a large pan, but a really fun and pretty way to present it is layered into a martini glass or similar as well.

If you find a great recipe, please let us know, I'm curious now ..(and craving too!!).

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
Each cook in Italy has their own "authentic" version [of whatever - tiramisu, tomato sauce, etc.]. If you find a recipe, the ingredients and measurements are only suggestions. Everything is done by eye and feel. "Some" is a common unit. It kills me when somebody asks for a recipe from me! LOL!

Lulie

Shiny_Rock
Hi Phoenix, here's a recipe from Veneto, DH's fave, [we've tried quite a few] large recipe, 12 servings.

Veneto 'pick me up'

6 egg yolks
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 lb. mascarpone cheese, softened
2 cups chilled heavy cream
2 tbsp. rum or Marsala optional
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 tbsp. plus 2 to 3 cups brewed espresso -cold
5 egg whites
40 to 50 savoiardi bisquits [or ladyfingers if you prefer a softer texture ie UK]
Cocoa powder, for dusting

In a mixing bowl set over a pan of simmering water but not touching the water, whisk the egg yolks and sugar until the mixture is pale yellow and thick ribbons fall from the whisk, 4 to 5 minutes. Transfer the mixture to the bowl of an electric mixer. Add the mascarpone cheese and beat until smooth and creamy, 2 to 3 minutes.

In a chilled large mixing bowl, whisk the cream until stiff peaks form. This takes only a few minutes, Kitchen Aid ok, just make sure is not too stiff. Add the optional rum, vanilla and the 2 tbsp. espresso and whisk until smooth.

In a clean mixing bowl, whisk the egg whites until stiff peaks form. (When the whisk is lifted straight out of the bowl and inverted, the whites should hold their shape.)

With a rubber spatula, gently fold the mascarpone mixture into the cream until blended and smooth. Add about 1 cup egg whites and fold gently until blended. Add the remaining egg whites and fold gently until the mixture is smooth and blended.

Place the 2-3 C espresso in a pyrex pan, lay a few bisquits [if using lady fingers ONE AT A TIME] Lay enough ladyfingers on the bottom of a 9x13 or 6-quart pyrex baking dish (about 2 inches deep) to form a single layer. Spread half of the mascarpone mixture over the ladyfingers until evenly covered. Arrange another layer of ladyfingers over the mascarpone cream, then spread the remaining mascarpone cream evenly over the top. Dust the tiramisù with cocoa powder to create a rich, dark topping. Cover w/seral wrap and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or up to 1 day before serving.

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
I just made Tiramisu - authentic (at least in my definition). It was WAY, WAY easy.

Ingredients:

1 c heavy cream

1 small container marscapone (8 oz)

1/2 c powdered sugar

2 tbs light rum (I used 3, it was delish)

12 ladyfingers

1/2 c cold espresso (although I recommend a little more, maybe 3/4-1c)

cocoa for dusting the top

1) Mix the marscapone with the powdered sugar until smooth. Beat in rum on slow speed, set aside

2) Whip cream until stiff peaks form. Fold in marscapone mixture until blended (this is seriously the only tricky part, since you don''t want to smoosh the air bubbles in the cream - but I didn''t think it was too hard with a rubber spatula)

3) Split each ladyfinger horizontally in half. Arange half, cut sides up, over the bottom of an ugreased pan. Drizzle half of the espresso over them.

4) Spread half of the cream cheese mixture over the lady fingers.

5) Repeat steps 3 and 4

6) Sprinkle cocoa over desert (works best with a strainer or sifter). Let chill for at least 4 hrs.

**I couldn''t find lady fingers, so I used packaged spongecake cups (you know, the ones used for strawberry shortcake?). I cut them in half like a bun and then half vertically so they were half-moon shapes. Ladyfingers would have been better, but this thing tasted AMAZING anyway.

Also, I did find one or two recipes where it called for making a custard, but this is the texture I remember when I studied abroad, and it was yum, yum, yum.

shimmer

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
If anyone is interested in a "light" version, I have made this recipe several times (it is so good!). It's not 'authentic' though. Oh, and I substitute real whip cream because I don't like the whipped topping stuff. I really want to make a tiramisu cupcake....haven't been brave enough though.

Cooking Light's Tiramisu

Serves 8.

Ingredients

* POWDERED SUGAR, 2/3 cup sifted
* REDUCED-FAT CREAM CHEESE, 1 8-ounce tub
* REDUCED-CALORIE WHIPPED TOPPING, 1 cup + 1/2 cup thawed
* SUGAR, 1/2 cup + 1 tablespoon
* WATER, 1/4 cup
* EGG WHITES, 3
* HOT WATER, 1/2 cup
* INSTANT ESPRESSO GRANULES, 1 tablespoon
* KAHLUA or OTHER COFFEE-FLAVORED LIQUEUR, 2 tablespoons
* LADYFINGERS, 20
* UNSWEETENED COCOA, 1/2 teaspoon

Directions

1. Combine powdered sugar and cream cheese in a bowl; beat at high speed of a mixer until well-blended.
2. Gently fold 1 cup whipped topping into cheese mixture.
3. Combine 1/2 cup sugar, 1/4 cup water, and egg whites in the top of a double boiler; place over simmering water.
4. Beat at high speed of a mixer until stiff peaks form.
5. Gently stir one-fourth of egg white mixture into cheese mixture.
6. Gently fold in remaining egg white mixture; set aside.
7. Combine 1/2 cup hot water, 1 tablespoon sugar, espresso, and Kahlua; stir well.
8. Split ladyfingers in half lengthwise.
9. Arrange 20 ladyfinger halves, cut sides up, in the bottom of an 8-inch square baking dish.
10. Drizzle half of espresso mixture over ladyfinger halves.
11. Spread half of cheese mixture over ladyfinger halves.
12. Repeat procedure with the remaining ladyfinger halves, espresso mixture, and cheese mixture.
13. Spread 1/2 cup whipped topping evenly over cheese mixture; sprinkle with cocoa.
14. Place 1 toothpick in each corner and in center of Tiramisu to prevent plastic wrap from sticking to whipped topping; cover with plastic wrap. Chill 2 hours.

NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION: Calories 226 (28% from fat); protein 4.7g; fat 7g (sat 4.1g, mono 2g, poly 0.8g); carbohydrates 30g; fiber 0g; cholesterol 41mg; iron 0.1mg; sodium 199mg; calcium 49mg.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks so much, everyone, Hudson Hawk, Neatfreak, Freke, Mara, DiamanteBlu, Lulie, Elmorton and Shimmer.

Wow, all these look so delicious! I will definitely try them out. They look relatively easier, I think even *I* would be able to follow them!
9.gif

One more Q: If I have a party on Saturday and make this and chill it on Friday in the fridge, will it keep (esp. the versions that call for raw eggs)?

Thanks again.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yum I always wanted to make tiramisu. Thanks PHX, now you have inspired me.
9.gif
Pulling out my apron. . .

Lulie

Shiny_Rock
I'd say two days.
There's a very small chance to get salmonella w/fresh AA eggs imho.
I usually pasteurize my own for mousse type recipes, after a few times it's really easy.
Place eggs in a pot cover w/cold water, insert a thermometer and heat on medium, stand by until it reaches 140^ right before bubbles start to form, take away from heating source and watch it rise to 150^ [do not exceed this temp] let stand for about 3 minutes, use.
Some bakers keep a finger in the water for a few seconds before it burns, it's done.
20.gif
others use Davidson's safest choice, WOW eggs.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/21/2009 12:39:58 PM
Author: Lulie
I''d say two days.
There''s a very small chance to get salmonella w/fresh AA eggs imho.
I usually pasteurize my own for mousse type recipes, after a few times it''s really easy.
Place eggs in a pot cover w/cold water, insert a thermometer and heat on medium, stand by until it reaches 140^ right before bubbles start to form, take away from heating source and watch it rise to 150^ [do not exceed this temp] let stand for about 3 minutes, use.
Some bakers keep a finger in the water for a few seconds before it burns, it''s done.
20.gif
others use Davidson''s safest choice, WOW eggs.
Never heard of that, but it certainly wouldn''t work for me. My finger heat sensors don''t work anymore. If we go to the grocery store later, I''m going to get the ingredients...

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/21/2009 12:39:58 PM
I''d say two days.
There''s a very small chance to get salmonella w/fresh AA eggs imho.
I usually pasteurize my own for mousse type recipes, after a few times it''s really easy.
Some bakers keep a finger in the water for a few seconds before it burns, it''s done.
20.gif
others use Davidson''s safest choice, WOW eggs.
Thanks so much for t hat, Lulie. I always feel icky about eating raw eggs in desserts although I have my fried eggs pretty runny and also although I am sure when we have mousse, tiramisu at restaurants, the eggs are raw too. We try to buy organic free-range eggs mostly because we like the taste but hopefully there''ll be less chances of getting salmonella or even bird''s flu.

When you say "let stand for 3 minutes", do you mean take the eggs out of the water once it''s reached 150 degree Fahrenheit and let the eggs stand for 3 mins before I use them?

Thank you.

mela lu

Ideal_Rock
Here is another one. My brother learned this one while studying cooking in Florence, Italy!

TIRAMISU

500 grams Mascarpone (found at any Italian grocery store)
5 Eggs
5 tablespoons sugar
3 boxes of “PAVESINI” brand cookies (these can be found in Italian bakeries)
2 cups espresso coffee (some to be mixed with the Brandy and Marsala)
1 shot glass Brandy mixed with ½ cup of the coffee
1 shot glass Marsala, or white Port mixed with ½ cup of the coffee
Powdered Cocoa –bitter not sweet

This is how I do the mascarpone mix (this is the secret to the sauce). Separate the egg yolks from the egg whites; one bowl for each. Whip the egg whites using an electric mixer until they become fluffy like clouds. Then put the whipped egg whites in the fridge to stay cold. Add the sugar to the egg yolks and whip until the sugar is blended into the yolks. Here is where the magic happens fold the Mascarpone with the yolk mixture into the egg white mixture, do not over blend.

Next is the layering.
1. Pavesini cookies dipped in coffee
2. Layer of Mascarpone mix
3. Pavesini cookies dipped in brandy coffee mix
4. Layer of Mascarpone mix
5. Pavesini cookies dipped in Marsala or Port coffee mix
6. Last layer of Mascarpone mix
7. Sprinkle the cocoa on top of last layer.

Let stand in a fridge for one or two days before serving to let the flavors blend

Enjoy!

Lulie

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/22/2009 12:59:27 AM
Author: Phoenix

Thanks so much for t hat, Lulie. I always feel icky about eating raw eggs in desserts although I have my fried eggs pretty runny and also although I am sure when we have mousse, tiramisu at restaurants, the eggs are raw too. We try to buy organic free-range eggs mostly because we like the taste but hopefully there''ll be less chances of getting salmonella or even bird''s flu.

When you say ''let stand for 3 minutes'', do you mean take the eggs out of the water once it''s reached 150 degree Fahrenheit and let the eggs stand for 3 mins before I use them?

Thank you.
Sorry if I confused you, what I meant was: Take the eggs [pot] out of the heat source and watch the thermometer reach 150^ [it will stop there bc no more heat from underneath] the standing time of 3 minutes is actually ''washing'' off any bacteria on the shells, after that period you can take the eggs out of the water, store or use. Also will like to clarify: for larger eggs jumbo/xlg standing time should be 4-5 minutes.
Same here, we buy organic [any] or EB brand, not much price difference + never had a bad egg vs reg/store brands
11.gif

Def use Davidson''s for hollandaise/cesar salad/carbonara sauce/mousse & ice cream.

Mela Lu...that recipe is delish, love Pavesini hard to find around here
5.gif

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/22/2009 12:11:25 PM
Author: mela lu
Here is another one. My brother learned this one while studying cooking in Florence, Italy!

TIRAMISU

5 Eggs
5 tablespoons sugar

This is how I do the mascarpone mix (this is the secret to the sauce). Separate the egg yolks from the egg whites; one bowl for each. Whip the egg whites using an electric mixer until they become fluffy like clouds. Then put the whipped egg whites in the fridge to stay cold. Add the sugar to the egg yolks and whip until the sugar is blended into the yolks. Here is where the magic happens fold the Mascarpone with the yolk mixture into the egg white mixture, do not over blend.

Next is the layering.

Let stand in a fridge for one or two days before serving to let the flavors blend

Enjoy!
Thanks, Mela Lu. This looks delicious. I''ll definitely try it.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/22/2009 2:24:42 PM

Date: 2/22/2009 12:59:27 AM
Author: Phoenix

When you say ''let stand for 3 minutes'', do you mean take the eggs out of the water once it''s reached 150 degree Fahrenheit and let the eggs stand for 3 mins before I use them?

Thank you.
Sorry if I confused you, what I meant was: Take the eggs [pot] out of the heat source and watch the thermometer reach 150^ [it will stop there bc no more heat from underneath] the standing time of 3 minutes is actually ''washing'' off any bacteria on the shells, after that period you can take the eggs out of the water, store or use. Also will like to clarify: for larger eggs jumbo/xlg standing time should be 4-5 minutes.
Same here, we buy organic [any] or EB brand, not much price difference + never had a bad egg vs reg/store brands
11.gif

Def use Davidson''s for hollandaise/cesar salad/carbonara sauce/mousse & ice cream.

Mela Lu...that recipe is delish, love Pavesini hard to find around here
5.gif
Thanks, Lulie. I''m so silly!
6.gif
1.gif

I don''t know if we have Davidson''s where we are but I''ll for sure look for it.

I think I may try and make tiramisu for our party this Saturday. If it''s a success, I''ll take a picture and show it to you ladies. Wish me luck!
1.gif
1.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
whenever i have made the tiramisu, it typically tastes better the next day, as i think it''s a dessert that has to ''sit'' and meld together flavors for a bit first. also it typically has to set anyway, so most recipes say 4-6 hours before serving is when to make it. but i have also had it in the fridge for 3-4 days before and it is just as good then. as with any raw egg dish, it does have some risk...but i love tiramisu!

on one of the recipes posted it said to put the rum in with the marscapone. i typically mix it in (or sometimes I use brandy or kahlua if i don''t feel like rum) with the espresso. i have also used very strong coffee in leiu of espresso in a pinch. for ladyfingers, they are hard to find at the regular large stores, but if you have a smaller local delicatessen kind of place or here we have Cosentino''s or Zanotto''s...they are family owned chains that always have stuff like ladyfingers and harder to find other things.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
So I made Tiramisu. None of the stores I went to had ladyfingers, so I was forced to make my own. Then I screwed up the lady fingers because a)I was paying more attention to the Oscars than the batter and b)I didn't have a pastry bag, so I just spread it out and made a lady finger cake type thing. I also made up my own recipe for the mousse part and couldn't tell you it if I tried (some of this, some of that) but I used brandy, Creme de Cacao and Kahlua for the ladyfinger syrup. And strong instant coffee (we don't drink it so I just have a jar of that stuff around).

And yes, Tiramisu needs to sit overnight and let it's flavors meld. Plus the ladyfingers need to absorb some of the liquid from the mascarpone mixture.

Oh and I got the mascarpone from Trader Joes. Apparently they have ladyfingers during the holidays, but that's it. The lady I asked didn't get it either...

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/23/2009 2:13:07 AM
Author: FrekeChild
So I made Tiramisu. None of the stores I went to had ladyfingers, so I was forced to make my own. Then I screwed up the lady fingers because a)I was paying more attention to the Oscars than the batter and b)I didn''t have a pastry bag, so I just spread it out and made a lady finger cake type thing. I also made up my own recipe for the mousse part and couldn''t tell you it if I tried (some of this, some of that) but I used brandy, Creme de Cacao and Kahlua for the ladyfinger syrup. And strong instant coffee (we don''t drink it so I just have a jar of that stuff around).

And yes, Tiramisu needs to sit overnight and let it''s flavors meld. Plus the ladyfingers need to absorb some of the liquid from the mascarpone mixture.

Oh and I got the mascarpone from Trader Joes. Apparently they have ladyfingers during the holidays, but that''s it. The lady I asked didn''t get it either...
Date: 2/23/2009 2:13:07 AM
Author: FrekeChild
So I made Tiramisu. None of the stores I went to had ladyfingers, so I was forced to make my own. Then I screwed up the lady fingers because a)I was paying more attention to the Oscars than the batter and b)I didn''t have a pastry bag, so I just spread it out and made a lady finger cake type thing. I also made up my own recipe for the mousse part and couldn''t tell you it if I tried (some of this, some of that) but I used brandy, Creme de Cacao and Kahlua for the ladyfinger syrup. And strong instant coffee (we don''t drink it so I just have a jar of that stuff around).

And yes, Tiramisu needs to sit overnight and let it''s flavors meld. Plus the ladyfingers need to absorb some of the liquid from the mascarpone mixture.

Oh and I got the mascarpone from Trader Joes. Apparently they have ladyfingers during the holidays, but that''s it. The lady I asked didn''t get it either...

This thread made me crave tiramisu SO badly! Sadly, I don''t have like half the ingredients...Freke, will you send me some? I''ll swap you pound cake!
1.gif

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
BEG. Ordinarily I might take you up on that, but I''m thinking I''m going to make some huckleberry poundcake tonight...

And I''m going to go have another piece of tiramisu in the meantime...
11.gif

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A little update: I made tiramisu last weekend!!. It was sooooo delicious!!
18.gif
. Everyone ate it all up and asked for more!
9.gif
Only thing was it didn't look very pretty (I didn't spread the egg/ cheese mixture thinly enough, so it didn't have the layered effect that I wanted). I was a bit reluctant to take pictures
5.gif
. I may try and make it again for another party this coming weekend and if that's more presentable, I will for sure take pics and show them to you.

Thanks again for all your help. I'm really happy I am finally able to make this amazing dessert. YAY
36.gif

Asu

Shiny_Rock

TIRAMISU

5 Eggs

5 tablespoons sugar

Next is the layering.

Enjoy!
This is good,even though I use a different recipe that my grandma give me.
4 egg whites
1 egg yolk
around 50g of powder cocoa
500g mascarpone
300/350g sugar (your taste)
a lot of coffee
a pack of savoiardi(the original biscuits used for make tiramisù,I''ve never liked the pavesini one)

Mix the mascarpone with the sugar with a spoon.when it''s well mixed,whip the eggs white till they are solid(you can see if it''s ready turning the bowl.If the whites don''t move,they are ready).Then mix the whites with the mascarpone mix turning the mix always in the same direction,for keep the whites mounted.then put in the mixture the yolk.
Then,make a layer with the savoiardi dipped in the cold(sugared)coffee(be sure to not let the savoiardi stay in the coffee too much,a few seconds for biscuit is enough)and cover it with mascarpone cream.Make all the layer you want,but I suggest not more than 3.Cover the last layer with mascarpone and a bit of powder cocoa.Put in the fridge for about two hours.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/10/2009 8:00:36 PM
Author: Asu

TIRAMISU

5 Eggs

5 tablespoons sugar

Next is the layering.

Enjoy!
This is good,even though I use a different recipe that my grandma give me.
4 egg whites
1 egg yolk
around 50g of powder cocoa
500g mascarpone
300/350g sugar (your taste)
a lot of coffee
a pack of savoiardi(the original biscuits used for make tiramisù,I''ve never liked the pavesini one)

Mix the mascarpone with the sugar with a spoon.when it''s well mixed,whip the eggs white till they are solid(you can see if it''s ready turning the bowl.If the whites don''t move,they are ready).Then mix the whites with the mascarpone mix turning the mix always in the same direction,for keep the whites mounted.then put in the mixture the yolk.
Then,make a layer with the savoiardi dipped in the cold(sugared)coffee(be sure to not let the savoiardi stay in the coffee too much,a few seconds for biscuit is enough)and cover it with mascarpone cream.Make all the layer you want,but I suggest not more than 3.Cover the last layer with mascarpone and a bit of powder cocoa.Put in the fridge for about two hours.
Thanks, Asu. Appreciate the recipe.

Tell me, I am curious. Your recipe calls for more egg whites than egg yolks. I''ve seen recipes which are the other way round. In fact, I came across one on the ''net that doesn''t call for any egg whites at all, only yolks. Do you know what difference it''ll make the ratio of egg whites to yolks?

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results