shape
carat
color
clarity

Does anyone have spring/horseshoe inserts in their rings?

CBianco

Brilliant_Rock
If so, how do y'all like them?
Screenshot_20221102-153825_Gallery.jpg
My custom made spinel ring is size 5.25 because I intended to wear it on my left middle finger (don't know what i was thinking lol), it doesn't look good there and looks right at home on both my left and right ring fingers at 4-4.25 and 4.75. I don't want to resize it as it'll probably ruin the uniquely shaped shank it currently has.

20220512_095602.jpg 20221020_150628.jpg

I also want to have the prongs redone more delicately and the stone is set very slightly tilted although not too obvious. The bench that set my stone back into the ring after the recut didn't do a great job, so I'd be sending it to DK or another more experienced bench in the near future for all of these things.

DAF

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have several Kat Florence rings that have the sizing spring in them. I ordered the rings bigger because I swell, and I wanted to wear them on different fingers. I like them because the rings look somewhat loose on my finger, but they don't budge because of the spring. If anyone has ever seen a Kat Florence ring, the center stone setting is usually on the larger side, which usually causes the ring to slide off-center.

CBianco

Brilliant_Rock
I have several Kat Florence rings that have the sizing spring in them. I ordered the rings bigger because I swell, and I wanted to wear them on different fingers. I like them because the rings look somewhat loose on my finger, but they don't budge because of the spring. If anyone has ever seen a Kat Florence ring, the center stone setting is usually on the larger side, which usually causes the ring to slide off-center.

This ring is actually inspired by Kat florence! I like the concept of it being able to wear it on different fingers but wasn't sure if it actually worked in practice, so thanks for your response! Great to know that it would help with top heavy rings as well, mine sort of is.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Would you consider using the plastic resizing thingies?

It's like a plastic spring that you wrap around the ring at the bottom and it shrinks the ring by heaps.

It does like quite haphazard on the underside though but it's cheap and fast and not permanent!

Gemzy

Rough_Rock
I agree with DAF, the original Kat Florence designs with the sizing spring are excellent, well engineered and very comfortable, the stone does not move (well at least on my rings from her, one of which is similar in profile to yours). However if you have to 'cinch' the spring in too much that might be an issue. Her sizing suggests two ring sizes so you should be ok - make sure what is inserted is not flimsy it needs to be robust.

CaseyLouLou

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with DAF, the original Kat Florence designs with the sizing spring are excellent, well engineered and very comfortable, the stone does not move (well at least on my rings from her, one of which is similar in profile to yours). However if you have to 'cinch' the spring in too much that might be an issue. Her sizing suggests two ring sizes so you should be ok - make sure what is inserted is not flimsy it needs to be robust.

I need these desperately for a couple of rings. Are they available to order online or does a jeweler need to install it? Thanks!

CBianco

Brilliant_Rock

It's like a plastic spring that you wrap around the ring at the bottom and it shrinks the ring by heaps.

It does like quite haphazard on the underside though but it's cheap and fast and not permanent!

This is what I currently use, but I wanted a slightly more permanent solution. Thanks anyways, and love your new spess ring :)

Thank you for the response! I only need to go down in range for about 1 size or so, hopefully it'll work out okay

CBianco

Brilliant_Rock
I need these desperately for a couple of rings. Are they available to order online or does a jeweler need to install it? Thanks!

A jeweler will need to install it. I think it needs to be soldered into the bottom of the ring shank

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
A jeweler will need to install it. I think it needs to be soldered into the bottom of the ring shank

Usually with a laser or PUK soldering device. If heated too much with a flame the spring is sprung.
The spring will usually be made of a white gold that has some nickel content to make it springier. Platinum has very little spring.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

Can you send a photo and supplier MellowYellow?

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Inken made me one for a vintage ring that has a thick and wide shank that I didn't want to mess with too much. The ring and spring are 18K palladium (nickel-free) white gold and the color is more like the second picture. In this case it is more "space-occupying" than "springy" since it is only sized down 1 - 1.5 sizes (US). But it still seems springy when I push it. I figured it would not be too hard to remove.

I like it. It is nice and wide. It is a tad sharper that a nice rounded interior contour. To get the most circumferential coverage (for comfort), there is some compromise on accessing side stones -- but they are still plenty accessible. All in all, it is my most wearable ring, size-wise, since my finger size fluctuates a lot. It also takes away some of the anxiety around achieving the "perfect" size.

Screen Shot 2022-11-02 at 9.09.39 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-11-02 at 9.10.03 PM.png

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Inken made me one for a vintage ring that has a thick and wide shank that I didn't want to mess with too much. The ring and spring are 18K palladium (nickel-free) white gold and the color is more like the second picture. In this case it is more "space-occupying" than "springy" since it is only sized down 1 - 1.5 sizes (US). But it still seems springy when I push it. I figured it would not be too hard to remove.

I like it. It is nice and wide. It is a tad sharper that a nice rounded interior contour. To get the most circumferential coverage (for comfort), there is some compromise on accessing side stones -- but they are still plenty accessible. All in all, it is my most wearable ring, size-wise, since my finger size fluctuates a lot. It also takes away some of the anxiety around achieving the "perfect" size.

Yup, that is just taking up space more than adding springiness.
And works on such a wide band.
On a narrower band the nickel white gold is a better option.
For the record until about 20 years ago almost all WG had a nickel component.
WG was invented after WW I buy newly unemployed metalurgists in north of England. So we have only had antique WG for 5 years max. And it was all nickel based originally, at least on bands. But nickel is not good for setting - too springy!

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
On a narrower band the nickel white gold is a better option.
For the record until about 20 years ago almost all WG had a nickel component.

I was not able to use a nickel alloy, hence the palladium.

I thought a lot of old French white gold was nickel-free...?

CBianco

Brilliant_Rock
Usually with a laser or PUK soldering device. If heated too much with a flame the spring is sprung.
The spring will usually be made of a white gold that has some nickel content to make it springier. Platinum has very little spring.

I didn't know that the springs are usually made of white gold, my ring is made in platinum so I'll have to ask the jeweler for a solution. Thank you!

Thanks so much for this lilalex, very helpful! Good to know they can be made to work with a thick and wide shank. Looks very sturdy, not like an add on and gives some wiggle room for fluctuating finger sizes.

VividRed

Brilliant_Rock
If so, how do y'all like them?
Screenshot_20221102-153825_Gallery.jpg
My custom made spinel ring is size 5.25 because I intended to wear it on my left middle finger (don't know what i was thinking lol), it doesn't look good there and looks right at home on both my left and right ring fingers at 4-4.25 and 4.75. I don't want to resize it as it'll probably ruin the uniquely shaped shank it currently has.

20220512_095602.jpg 20221020_150628.jpg

I also want to have the prongs redone more delicately and the stone is set very slightly tilted although not too obvious. The bench that set my stone back into the ring after the recut didn't do a great job, so I'd be sending it to DK or another more experienced bench in the near future for all of these things.

Wowza!!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm no help, but LOVE the shank shape of your ring! And think the spring idea Is brilliant to help make a ring wearable on different fingers

CBianco

Brilliant_Rock
I'm no help, but LOVE the shank shape of your ring! And think the spring idea Is brilliant to help make a ring wearable on different fingers

Thank you!=)2
I think it's a brilliant idea too for cocktail and non E rings.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results