shape
carat
color
clarity

Does anyone have/has seen this ring?

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Would really love to see actual photos of it but I cannot find any; just stock images. It’s Gabriel & Co #er9090w4jjj.

While I would normally not be a fan of a 4-prong setting (for security purposes), this one looks - to me - much more secure structurally than a regular 4-prong setting would be ... like the odds of bending a ‘prong’ and losing the stone (while not impossible) are far less likely than a normal prong. Thoughts?
Thanks! :wavey:

061097E2-1623-49E7-B8F0-C7485F19E8A5.jpeg
9E6371C8-A336-4AC1-8014-A1F6B148B07E.jpeg
1E81AF3D-B0A5-450E-915F-7D6096CC9C2F.jpeg

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Mother Thing,

I have, years ago, sold similar rings to this. The prongs are extremely secure and when properly set do not stick up as far as the ones in your pictures. (The pictures look as if the stone has been laid into the mounting for the picture, which I believe is why they are sticking up so high above the diamond.)

Wink

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you @Wink :wavey: I noticed the same thing about the pictured diamond looking like it was just temp-set down in there, and agree - it doesn’t look right. That’s why I’d love to see an actual picture of it finished w/a diamond properly set. And I greatly appreciate your observation about the security of it; that would be of primary concern, but felt - given the way the “prongs” are really integrated into the shoulders/shank (all one piece), it’d probably be fine. So I appreciate your input confirming my thoughts.

I *really* love this setting (with a minor change to add 3 small diamonds on each side in those splits, tapering down), but am not necessarily married to the idea of it coming from G&Co, nor do I know if they could/would customize it to have those side diamonds. I know Sholdt makes a similar ring, but would love to see similar examples, albeit they may need to be modified/I may need to go custom to get exactly what I want.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thank you @Wink :wavey: I noticed the same thing about the pictured diamond looking like it was just temp-set down in there, and agree - it doesn’t look right. That’s why I’d love to see an actual picture of it finished w/a diamond properly set. And I greatly appreciate your observation about the security of it; that would be of primary concern, but felt - given the way the “prongs” are really integrated into the shoulders/shank (all one piece), it’d probably be fine. So I appreciate your input confirming my thoughts.

I *really* love this setting (with a minor change to add 3 small diamonds on each side in those splits, tapering down), but am not necessarily married to the idea of it coming from G&Co, nor do I know if they could/would customize it to have those side diamonds. I know Sholdt makes a similar ring, but would love to see similar examples, albeit they may need to be modified/I may need to go custom to get exactly what I want.

The heart knows what it wants, or so many tell us. Obviously, I am a big fan of custom, as many of the minor defects visible under close examination in the picture above can be eliminated. However, the cost will be much higher and the minor things I am seeing in that photo will not be obvious, and possibly not even visible to the unaided eye. Cameras are brutal critics! In my opinion, the actual value will be much higher too!

I have to admit, I love the idea of the three diamonds tapering down in the slots, and to do that properly will take planning and a great diamond setter.

One good thing about that setting, for sure it is not going to need a new shank for maybe a generation or two. If you are a fan, I strongly suggest going with a comfort fit on a shank that sturdy.

Wink

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
P.S. Your custom designer can make some very nice CAD renditions of this ring. While not quite a photo, a good CAD artist can come incredibly close.

Wink

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you @Wink I agree that the shank is definitely ‘durable’, which is part of the reason I like it as well - it’s solid and not going anywhere for - as you said - a very long time. And the comfort fit is a great suggestion! I don’t like rings that feel ‘squared off’ on the inner shank.

It was actually my DH’s idea to have side diamonds, and I’m not against the idea so long as they’re not pave. I mocked up what it might kind of look like with them because I’m a visual person and have to really ‘see’ it to decide if I’d like it.

I have to admit, as elementary as my rendering may be, I like it. :mrgreen2:
56E2EDC8-B9D6-4369-9F92-D48405EB586E.jpeg

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Whoa!

When you said mock up, I envisioned a relatively well done line drawing. Then I scroll down and see six Hearts and Arrows cut melee diamonds all neatly glued in place. (Your jeweler will need to cut proper seats for those of course... ;)2)

Wink

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Whoa!

When you said mock up, I envisioned a relatively well done line drawing. Then I scroll down and see six Hearts and Arrows cut melee diamonds all neatly glued in place. (Your jeweler will need to cut proper seats for those of course... ;)2)

Wink

I have an iPad Pro, and I’m not afraid to use it ... since I can’t free-hand draw my way out of a paper bag. :lol-2:

RetroTreeGal

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I have an iPad Pro, and I’m not afraid to use it ... since I can’t free-hand draw my way out of a paper bag. :lol-2:

I REALLY like what you’re on to here. Keep us posted if you go this route.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think that you just designed a modification of this Sholdt ring.:lol-2: I bet they could easily modify the bezel to be split like your above one. I've pasted another version below I quite like. I love the sholder layering.

upload_2018-3-4_12-40-29.png
upload_2018-3-4_12-41-11.png

Maevona has some cool prongs for inspiration.
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bc8GV0qgzZQ/?hl=en&taken-by=maevona
https://www.instagram.com/p/BcLLn1xgWrQ/?hl=en&taken-by=maevona
https://www.instagram.com/p/BaH2LcTBaXi/?hl=en&taken-by=maevona
https://www.instagram.com/p/BZUYkntgXWd/?hl=en&taken-by=maevona
https://www.instagram.com/p/BYHL5gZB2ne/?hl=en&taken-by=maevona
https://www.instagram.com/p/BVCYCluA-C6/?hl=en&taken-by=maevona

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you don't want the prongs to hold the stones on the shank, you can borrow the upper detail from this maevona setting. as that gives the setting a bezel edge to work from.

upload_2018-3-4_12-45-47.png

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I REALLY like what you’re on to here. Keep us posted if you go this route.
:wavey: Thank you! It’s a compromise for me to incorporate the elements my husband also likes and doesn’t like. Even though I’m the one wearing it, I appreciate that he’s putting in effort to provide sincere input, and he told me to ultimately go with whatever I want. But I really like his suggestions and think it’ll be a gorgeous ring.

@rockysalamander I’m not familiar with the Maevona brand, but I definitely am familiar with Sholdt. The North/South silhouette of the G&Co ring is almost identical to the Sholdt Vashon semi-bezel (which I also lurrrrrve :love:), and that would probably be the easier setting to modify to what I like in the G&Co ring in terms of the split shank/shoulders and adding those couple of diamonds. And actually, I prefer the N/S view of the Sholdt more than that of the G&Co. It’s ‘sexier’ :twisted2: and a little more open to viewing the pavilion.

Sholdt Vashon Semi-Bezel:
FACA32F4-CC63-482E-AA67-96A8ECB9871E.jpeg D5B464EB-FF7B-4679-953B-DCD4E2F8ED3E.jpeg

G&Co:
C45A957C-D25E-490C-A1F2-B23B19B65B80.jpeg

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
When I saw the G&Co setting, I immediately thought of Sholdt. The Sholdt setting is so beautiful! :love:

Last edited:

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
When I saw the G&Co setting, I immediately thought of should. The should setting is so beautiful! :love:
I agree. Sholdt makes this one too which is also very similar, but I don’t want that many diamonds on the side, nor do I like them going all the way up the side to the diamond. I prefer them tucked down in a little; just 3 on each side, and tapering into that split shank/shoulder. I wish I could see the N/S view of this ring but this is the only view they have of it on their website.

0591A184-270F-4CE0-BDD9-893B0855F3AB.jpeg

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree. Sholdt makes this one too which is also very similar, but I don’t want that many diamonds on the side, nor do I like them going all the way up the side to the diamond. I prefer them tucked down in a little; just 3 on each side, and tapering into that split shank/shoulder. I wish I could see the N/S view of this ring but this is the only view they have of it on their website.

0591A184-270F-4CE0-BDD9-893B0855F3AB.jpeg

No, the plain one is my favourite.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wish I could see the N/S view of this ring but this is the only view they have of it on their website.

http://www.loveaffairdiamonds.com/sholdt-r477-channel-set-diamond-semi-bezel/

I think it would be pretty easy for Sholdt to modify this to have three stones on the shoulder and not all the way up. I think I like the more graduated sizes of the one I posted a few up. Sholdt are really lovely.

upload_2018-3-4_14-20-32.png

Live view with asscher. https://www.instagram.com/p/BfmBMIyHKYP/?hl=en&taken-by=_sholdt_
Plain with oval. https://www.instagram.com/p/BS08euylHyD/?hl=en&taken-by=_sholdt_

I had a chance to try on several of their rings and adored them. I am always torn between contemporary and plain vs. old school.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
And this is Stellar Fields version. More open along the sides. Round shank.

upload_2018-3-4_14-38-40.png

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
http://www.loveaffairdiamonds.com/sholdt-r477-channel-set-diamond-semi-bezel/

I think it would be pretty easy for Sholdt to modify this to have three stones on the shoulder and not all the way up. I think I like the more graduated sizes of the one I posted a few up. Sholdt are really lovely.

upload_2018-3-4_14-20-32.png

Live view with asscher. https://www.instagram.com/p/BfmBMIyHKYP/?hl=en&taken-by=_sholdt_
Plain with oval. https://www.instagram.com/p/BS08euylHyD/?hl=en&taken-by=_sholdt_

I had a chance to try on several of their rings and adored them. I am always torn between contemporary and plain vs. old school.

Thanks so much! :love: I agree - definitely graduated/tapered accent diamonds vs. the same size, and not too big ... I’m thinking maybe 2.5/2/1.5 mm.

And you lucky duck getting to try on their settings! :Up_to_something: Do you know, does Sholdt work directly with customers on custom/mods to their settings, or are they like G&Co where you HAVE to go through a jeweler who passes along your ideas. I had a very bad experience awhile back with trying to go through 3 different jewelers to work a minor mod to a G&Co setting I wanted, and ended up sh!tcanning the entire idea because the jewelers (local shops) couldn’t understand & convey what I was trying to do, even with pictures, sketches, notes, arrows, etc. And I know because when I finally got ahold of someone at G&Co to discuss it, they told me they completely understood what I wanted, but that it HAD to come from/through the jeweler. VERY frustrating and they lost the sale as a result.

I’ve gotten spoiled now where I like being able to convey exactly what I want to and communicate directly with the designer/bench that is producing something when going custom like with DK, CvB and others.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
And this is Stellar Fields version. More open along the sides. Round shank.

upload_2018-3-4_14-38-40.png

It’s pretty, but a little more ‘organic’ than I personally like. I’m pretty sure - in this case - it’s going to come down to one of three options: mods to the Sholdt, mods to the G&CO, or go custom to make what I want.

Krisking

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Do you know, does Sholdt work directly with customers on custom/mods to their settings, or are they like G&Co where you HAVE to go through a jeweler who passes along your ideas.

@the_mother_thing, I was in your shoes, and the short answer is I still don't know. A while back I also had a very specific idea for a semi-custom Sholdt setting, and I emailed Kalee directly about it. She seemed excited about a custom project, and I got the impression I would work directly with Sholdt, but her associate kept redirecting me to our authorized retailer. Like you, I also had reservations about working with the local bench. Despite a few more emails, I could not clarify the expectations and workflow upfront, so I let the project die. :think:

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Krisking well your experience doesn’t leave me too hopeful about going the Sholdt route. There’s one authorized dealer about 30 miles from me, but I have no relationship with them and don’t really care to ‘chance’ this project with them to start one, KWIM.

Your ring is beautiful! :love: Is there a thread with more pics, specs? If not, please feel free to post them here. I would love to get an idea of size/scale for different sized stones, finger sizes, etc to see how mine may look if I go that route. Thank you! :wavey:

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wonder - if I have a jeweler I’ve worked with/am working with on something and with whom I feel comfortable, and they are not an authorized Sholdt dealer, can they still get Sholdt pieces or do something custom with them? I don’t know a whole lot about what being an ‘authorized dealer’ means, if Sholdt only sells to them, etc. or if it just means they happen stock Sholdt pieces. Anyone know? :confused:

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think they only work through their authorized dealers, like other branded items. But, Erica at LoveAffairDiamonds is such a dealer and I'd feel confident with her acting as an intermediary. I think she "gets" us PS members. You have a very specific idea here and its a tweak of their setting. I love the workmanship and feeling of their rings. They are substantial without being heavy or masculine. For me, I'd try the semi-custom route before going full custom...especially as this aesthetic is Sholdt's thing.

If I ever get around to setting my blue-green spinel, this was the route I was planning...semi-custom with Sholdt via LAD.

Its a 90 degree twist on this design, but I also really like this ring from Nodeform. You might poke around at their designs. I've not worked with them personally, but a coworker has them make his Wave Eternity wedding band with some customization and found them quite nice to work with.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/219473...h_query=fold sapphire ring&ref=sr_gallery-1-2

Krisking

Shiny_Rock
Premium
@the_mother_thing, yep, we are on the same page! I do have real soft spot for that semi bezel but, alas, it is not mine.

Sholdt sent all the semi bezel iterations they had available to my local jeweler and I went in to try everything on and take lots of pictures! I have a 4.5 finger, and the center stone in that setting was about a 2 ct equivalent.

For scale, I have more pictures from other angles, etc., and of course there is the Sholdt thread. Not everyone with a Vashon semi bezel is in there, but I keep a running list of PS proportions if you're looking for something in particular.

The semi bezel snuck back into my subconscious last week...Thanks for enabling my rekindled love for it!! :wavey:

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@rockysalamander Thanks for the Nodeform link. I’ve seen their stuff on Etsy before, and do like it a lot and thought about a similar setting of theirs for my spinel. I just don’t know - for this project - if I want to go with a designer/bench that I 1) have not personally used before, or 2) have little familiarity with in terms of quality, craftsmanship, etc. I’m pretty familiar & comfortable with both Sholdt & G&Co, and aside from one of them - for this design - would probably only otherwise go custom with a vendor/bench with whom I know/am familiar.

I will keep the idea of working through LAD in mind if I decide to go the Sholdt Vashon mod route; however, I’d really prefer to keep this project to only two vendors max. The stone is coming from Vendor #1, and if I go with a setting from outside the stone vendor, that’s a second vendor to make the setting, and throwing a third into the mix to just play ‘go-between’ the two of them as the “authorized dealer” worries me that there will be a higher risk of miscommunication, the process taking longer, and likely cost even more because everyone’s gonna want to make some profit, which is understandable ... but that might then end up costing the same or more than just having a setting custom made from Vendor #1. Also, should there be an issue down the road that needs attention (say, a loose accent stone), it seems like it’d be a cluster-f... to figure out who would be on-point to resolve/repair it - Vendor #1, #2, or #3. :wall:

I’ll have to weigh all the options once I know what is/is not do-able. But I so very much appreciate everyone’s input, suggestions, ideas, etc. I hope to actually have some direction later today on this, so I’ll circle back once I have an update. :wavey:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would say that you shouldn't have any concerns about buying a setting through Erica. People do this every day. Not everyone buys a setting from the place they buy the diamond, especially on PS. If you have damage to your setting later on, you contact Erica, the ring dealer, and she sends it to Sholdt for the repair. I don't see anything unclear about that. Every jeweler in America offers certain brands of settings. If you buy a Tacori and it gets damaged, you still have to take it back to your Tacori dealer to send to Tacori for repair. If the original jeweler is no longer carrying the line or even no longer in business, then any Sholdt dealer should be able to send the ring in for repair for you. Always keep your purchase receipts, obviously.

I do really like the Sholdt setttings. I am not sure about altering the designs, though. Erica should be very helpful in that regard.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@diamondseeker2006 I think I was figuring on the stone vendor liaising w/whatever designer/bench would make the setting on my behalf (if I don’t go with their in-house bench for the setting). I guess (if I don’t use the stone vendor’s bench) I could buy the stone, then go to the authorized G&CO or Sholdt dealer, but for simplicity purposes (for me) the first way seemed easier to let them handle it, thus why it seemed unnecessary to me to add a ‘middle man’ to the mix. Also, my overall preference would be to stick with one vendor as my POC if possible for any issues pertaining to the ring overall - be it the main stone or any other issues ... I’d go to them, and they’d deal with their or the other designer/bench if/as needed.

My train of thought clearly has several sets of tracks to get to my final destination. :mrgreen2: I really just need to talk with them and find out what they say my options are with/through them first. I just know I really do like the concept we have, and it’s good that I have options for how to arrive at that. Just need to figure out how I can arrive at that.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results