shape
carat
color
clarity

Does anyone have any recommendations for a blue/purple stone?

BestLife85

Rough_Rock
So I have posted in another thread about my actual engagement ring, but I have another project now. Long story short: I’m just looking for a blue or purple stone that looks good in a split prong setting.

Basically, my fiancé’s aunt bought this ring for him to give to whoever he marries, and it’s not too cute. So much metal. I talked to a jeweler and they said they can cut out the head of the setting and put in a normal four prong head, which is great.

But I want to take the diamond out and put it into a hexagon setting (like Satomi Kawakita’s) and use it as a backup to my other ring, since my other ring is... not small.

My plan is then to use the band from this ring to make a new ring for my mother in law as a present. She doesn’t know anything about jewelry, but I have seen her wearing spinels and tourmalines (from the mall). It’s a little important that I use the metal from this band because my fiance’s aunt passed away from cancer and I think it will be senimental to her to keep as much of the original setting as possible. I asked her what color stones she likes and she said purple, or maybe blue. My budget is maybe $500-1000.

Does anyone have any recs for purple or violet or blue stones? I think any garnets, amethysts, spinels, sapphires, or tanzanites might work but I am open to any ideas! Not sure about cut/shape either! Or maybe I can make it a three stone ring and cut out the split prongs altogether.

(also don’t know if I want it to look like my other ring because I don’t want my actual mother to feel left out lol but maybe I just have to get her some bling too!)

Anyway here is the setting that I am working with:
DECA3DBA-5179-4E81-89F4-2DD1F9FF9B22.jpeg 171A0629-31FC-4715-A284-BD192FBFC44E.jpeg F9E3E4E4-5967-4226-ADF2-4DE6AA55F952.jpeg E367EDE7-7E66-4AE5-967D-90DF4E3E86BE.jpeg

Thank you for your help!

Attachments

• 8BE888C8-62ED-4C81-9B6E-1A0BA3164618.jpeg
    8BE888C8-62ED-4C81-9B6E-1A0BA3164618.jpeg
    117.8 KB · Views: 19

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is there a size range? The ring looks delicate, so probably not more than 6.5mm or 1ct, right? I think too big of a stone might look strange in that setting.

BestLife85

Rough_Rock
I think you’re right, although I imagine they could just cut more of the split prongs out to accommodate a bigger stone. I’m not really sure of the specs (they lost the paperwork lol) but I am estimating it might be like a .3 Ct diamond, maybe .5

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you’re right, although I imagine they could just cut more of the split prongs out to accommodate a bigger stone. I’m not really sure of the specs (they lost the paperwork lol) but I am estimating it might be like a .3 Ct diamond, maybe .5
That's good to know! So definitely under 1.5 ct, probably best with .5-1ct. I'll have a look around. Do you think she wants more blue, or more purple? Amethyst will be pure purple, whereas a blue sapphire will be only blue. Or do you think she'd like something with both hues?

BestLife85

Rough_Rock
That's good to know! So definitely under 1.5 ct, probably best with .5-1ct. I'll have a look around. Do you think she wants more blue, or more purple? Amethyst will be pure purple, whereas a blue sapphire will be only blue. Or do you think she'd like something with both hues?

She is pretty chill, I honestly think she will be happy with whatever. I imagine she will be impressed with either *sparkle* or a really intense color.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A Montana or Aussie sapphire or perhaps a spinel would be my suggestions.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results