shape
carat
color
clarity

Does anyone have a photo of Surfgirl's Single Stone ring?

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't know if anyone has any photos, I do recall there was a giant hoohaa over her photos being removed a while back. She hasn't posted for a while so I don't know if we can post her ring now.... heres hoping :))

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Does anyone have a photo of Surfgirl's Single Stone ring

As far as I know, once something has been posted openly, it can be reposted. I don't think I have that one, but I am sure someone does. The nature of this forum is that pictures will be reposted a lot. I try to give credit to the brand, maker, or owner if I remember the info!

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock

Thanks DS. I'm really hoping someone has a few pictures but I don't want to open the can of worms again!

MrsBettyBoop

Brilliant_Rock

**edited by moderator. please respect the privacy of other users**

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock

It looks like it! Thank you! Did you find that by searching on PS? I tried and couldn't find it anywhere.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Really gorgeous!!! :love:

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock

Well I am very impressed! I am obviously not good at searching :bigsmile:

Ella

Brilliant_Rock
Staff member
Premium

Surfgirl has requested that her images be removed from the forum and we complied as a courtesy.

Please be respectful and do not repost images that have been removed.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I do have one saved on my computer. I believe you know my email address from a sale? If so, you're free to contact me.

There was also someone who copied the ring and I imagine that thread is still searchable.

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I missed it again! I have never seen this infamous ring of Surfgirl's.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Maisie|1322858897|3073075 said:
rubybeth|1322856048|3073051 said:
Parrot tulips is the one with the 'inspiration' ring, just one photo since she didn't want to post anymore after surfgirl had her images removed and left PS: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/forum/post101297.html#p101297']https://www.pricescope.com/forum/post101297.html#p101297[/URL]

I remember that thread. Poor girl.

Yes, me, too. Very sad and unfair for her.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Surfgirl's ring wasn't made by Singlestone. It was found at an antique shop.

And she owns the copyright to all of her pics so even if someone has them, it wouldn't be okay for them to post it publicly as basically the use of them is restricted to private use.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock

Well there is no need for panic. I was only going to use her ring for inspiration and not to copy it exactly. I would be mad to do that after the uproar last time.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I seem to remember there being a poll or thread afterward and lots of us have or had her photos. As long as we're not reposting them in a public forum or place, but keeping them for private use, including sharing with friends, then that should be find.

Maisie, as I understand it, her photos may be copyrighted (although a quick google search turned up at least one of hers), but the design isn't. You're free to copy that exactly. It's an antique, not Surf girl's design.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Gypsy|1322869675|3073149 said:

And she owns the copyright to all of her pics so even if someone has them, it wouldn't be okay for them to post it publicly as basically the use of them is restricted to private use.

Wait, I'm confused. Are all photos posted to PS copyrighted by the owner?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Laila619|1322873390|3073187 said:

The person who takes the PHOTOS owns the copyright to the PHOTOS. That's why we can't post PHOTOS of her ring as she took the photos and is exercising her rights to the copyright OF THE PHOTOS.

BUT the design of the ring depicted in THE PHOTOS is NOT copyrighted as she found it in an antique shop. And that's why you can copy her ring's design to your heart's content.

ETA: What Addy said is correct.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Gypsy|1322873612|3073189 said:

The person who takes the PHOTOS owns the copyright to the PHOTOS. That's why we can't post PHOTOS of her ring as she took the photos and is exercising her rights to the copyright OF THE PHOTOS.

BUT the design of the ring depicted in THE PHOTOS is NOT copyrighted as she found it in an antique shop. And that's why you can copy her ring's design to your heart's content.

Gotcha. So technically, when we post someone else's photos (like in the "Share your favorite PS rings" threads, etc.), we really shouldn't do that unless we have the owner's permission.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Laila619|1322882579|3073282 said:
Gypsy|1322873612|3073189 said:

Gotcha. So technically, when we post someone else's photos (like in the "Share your favorite PS rings" threads, etc.), we really shouldn't do that unless we have the owner's permission.

You should, TECHNICALLY, cite the source (who owns the copyright) when re-posting anything. And yes you need permission, but once something is posted in the public realm there is a level of 'implied permission' for reposting (to put it non-technically) ... especially if the original post was on PS and you are reposting on PS as well. In SG's case she granted the permission by posting the pics, then expressly rescinded by having the owners remove them all. She can't go about suing google for it's cache as a result (well, she could but it wouldn't be likely to win unless she hunted down all the cache herself and expressly asked them to remove each picture and they illegally denied her) but for PS and it's owners of PS since she has expressly rescinded her permission for any of her pics being posted here, we can't post them.

But this is the reason we get occasionally crabby posters that say things like: if you are going to post my pics the least you can do is SAY that they are mine-- the right to subsequent attribution is not waived when posting something in the public realm (unless the laws have changed since the last time I read anything about them, which was 10 years ago, so it's totally possible).

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock

My intentions are to use aspects of her ring but not copy it exactly. I don't want to hurt her feelings. Especially after how upset she got last time.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock

Man, I really want to see this ring. I have a chunky cut red spinel and I have heard that Surfgirl's ring was an oval transitional cut diamond. I would love to see it for inspiration.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock

I'm pretty sure I can post the ring that belongs to Parrot Tulips. Hers was inspired by Surfgirls. If I shouldn't post it please delete it Ella :))

parrot ring.png

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

pregcurious|1322947812|3073623 said:
Man, I really want to see this ring. I have a chunky cut red spinel and I have heard that Surfgirl's ring was an oval transitional cut diamond. I would love to see it for inspiration.

Hers was a round transitional. Very lovely stone.

Maisie just posted PT's-- which has the same elements. The proportions were very different for SG's ring. Her center stone was larger and the rest of the sidestones were less prominent. Her ring is something special.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Gypsy|1322953688|3073646 said:
Maisie just posted PT's-- which has the same elements. The proportions were very different for SG's ring. Her center stone was larger and the rest of the sidestones were less prominent. Her ring is something special.

As is Parrot Tulips'--what a gorgeous piece!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Laila619|1322966106|3073740 said:
Gypsy|1322953688|3073646 said:

As is Parrot Tulips'--what a gorgeous piece!

Ditto! I love PT's ring!

(Here is a 5 stone ring with different shaped stones, Maisie, just in case you want to see other combinations. This is one of my inspirations for an AVC!):

antique5stone.JPG

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock

Thats lovely DS!!! :love:

SparklyOEC

Brilliant_Rock

I have no idea what Surfgirl's ring looks like (before my time here) ha ha...I came as PT posted her ring...which is gorgeous by the way!
I have heard descriptions though and while *drooling* over different rings came across this one:

ETA: This is on an antique jewelery website for sale. http://www.erictrabert.com/index.php?page=item&style=E457

e457[1].jpg

TristanC

Brilliant_Rock

I've never seen the ring, though it keeps coming up (with a quiet furor each time it does). And now that I've seen the inspiration ring... that's IT? Not that the ring isn't lovely... but seriously. THAT is the copied design?

Sigh. Whatever it is that some people think will forever elude me.

anne_h

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Hi Tristan,

Yes, those rings are similar to SG's ring.

I did see many photos of it back in the day, and it was lovely, and many people did comment on it.

But I agree - it was just another (very nice) example of an antique multi side-stone ring. There are lots of lovely and interesting combos out there (loving the ones here btw! especially the one posted by SparklyOEC - thanks for that!) IMO, the half-moons are an especially pretty touch in this style.

I don't remember all the details of the SG flap so can't comment on exactly what happened.

Anyways - I hope everyone can find/create the ring of their dreams. OP - the examples in this thread are quite good and I hope they're enough to help you on your design journey! :)

Anne

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results