shape
carat
color
clarity

Does anyone have a demantoid garnet?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
Does anyone have a demantoid garnet? Are they all that people say? Do the lighter color greens show more brilliance and fire than the darker greens? Thanks. (Not looking to purchase, just learn.)

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/15/2008 8:18:12 AM
Author:sonomacounty
Does anyone have a demantoid garnet? Are they all that people say? Do the lighter color greens show more brilliance and fire than the darker greens? Thanks. (Not looking to purchase, just learn.)
I don''t own one, but can say that lighter colored materials are always more brilliant (given the same clarity, cut, size...), not just when talking demantoids - simply because such materials absorb less i.e. reflect more light.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here's mine, it's 1.54ct plus diamond accents. It has a fantastic amount of fire. In some ways it's not dissimilar to a Sphene (a gemstone I also like). I've also got a loose Russian Demantoid complete with horsetail inclusion but it's slightly darker and I don't think as pretty.

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock

I do not, but I wish!

I saw several beautiful demantoids in class, and it really just varies--cut also plays a role. Demantoid means "diamond-like" because of its high dispersion .057 (diamond is .044)

I think in general, higher crowns, and smaller tables will help with the dispersion-just like with diamond. The color often masks it a bit, but there are some amazing darker dematoids out there. I met a dealer recently who had darker--more emerald green demantoids that displayed great fire. (they were tiny but brilliant)

I love the pure grassy green dematoids with horsetail inclusions. That color in particular just jumps out at you from across the room. Really amazing brilliance. When I was doing gem identification, I could always sight ID a dematoid. They're really outstanding and unique.

In short, yes, they're all that and more!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have two demaintoids (African and Russian), and they do remind me a lot of apple green sphene. Of course sphene is a 5 and demantoid is a 6.5 on the Mohs scale of hardness. It''s a lot more durable than spene, but it''s still a fragile stone. They do have a great deal of fire. I don''t own a chrome green one, so I cannot comment on that.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/15/2008 11:14:57 AM
Author: LovingDiamonds
Here''s mine, it''s 1.54ct plus diamond accents. It has a fantastic amount of fire. In some ways it''s not dissimilar to a Sphene (a gemstone I also like). I''ve also got a loose Russian Demantoid complete with horsetail inclusion but it''s slightly darker and I don''t think as pretty.
LovingDiamonds,
Very beautiful demantoid. Is is Russian as well?

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
Hey, that is Gorgeous, Loving ! !

I think a demantoid is going on my long list.

Best, Sonoma

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don''t own one but I have seen a few and they are GORGEOUS. They sparkle like mad. Yes, our lists just continue to grow.

Richard M.

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

If you''re interested in learning, Richard Hughes is a very good teacher. Go here: DEMANTOID BUYER''S GUIDE

Go to the 4th image down and note the color selected as "ideal" by Hughes. Note also his comments about dispersion. Cut is a relatively minor concern with dispersion display in demantoid. Increased color saturation masks dispersion. I''ve studied hundreds of demantoids and find the strongest dispersion is exhibited in what I call the "olive oil" green hues. It is quite subdued in the richer chrome greens but their color is breathtaking!

Richard M.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/15/2008 11:51:24 AM
Author: tourmaline_lover

Date: 11/15/2008 11:14:57 AM
Here''s mine, it''s 1.54ct plus diamond accents. It has a fantastic amount of fire. In some ways it''s not dissimilar to a Sphene (a gemstone I also like). I''ve also got a loose Russian Demantoid complete with horsetail inclusion but it''s slightly darker and I don''t think as pretty.
LovingDiamonds,
Very beautiful demantoid. Is is Russian as well?
Thank you. No this one is actually from Namibia and I thought you might like to see it in a hand shot). The Russian is a darker chrome green colour - I''ve searched everywhere for a photo of it but can''t find one so I''ll have to do it tomorrow when there''s better light.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Personally, I think the darker greener ones would not have as much dispersion as the lighter medium toned demantiods. The darker colour masks the dispersion. I prefer the medium tone ones where you can get a balance of that lovely green while still retaining its diamond-like quality.

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
Thanks all. Thanks Richard, I printed the Richard Hughes article to further digest. Anyone know which web vendors tend to carry nice demantoids (just to look and learn for now)? Sonoma

(Realize I really don''t purchase much, although I''m always asking questions. I''m a bit of an academic and really fascinated by all this.)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gary Dutton has a nice pair of demantoids I have been eyeing for a while: www.diamondexpert.com
I think Richard Martin has some too?

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
I think those would be great earrings for you, Chrono. I find I''m more drawn to the ones with lighter yellow/green tones or olive tones. The price is very nice. Thanks for the reply.

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
Q: Now, do you want horsetails in your demantoids or not? Thanks.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here's a pic of a 1.1 cushion carat Namibian demantoid next to a 1/2 carat rbc Russian demantoid. The Russian stone retains more of it's green color in different lighting (looking lime here) than the African one. The picture was taken in very dim incandescent light. In the sunlight, the African stone looks more like the color of the Russian one. It's more grey green in this lighting. The Russian stone was cut in St. Petersburg the same way they cut diamonds (it was also cut with a diamond).

My camera kills all sparkle, but both stones were sparkling rainbows as I took the picture.

The Russian stone is very clean, but has some horsetail inclusions if you loupe it. You cannot see them with the naked eye. I personally don't care for eye visible horsetails in these stones. It clouds them up too much.

demantoidnamibiarussia.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here''s an apple green sphene on the left (the biggest stone) for contrast since someone mentioned that demantoids look an awful lot like sphenes. All the stones were taken in very dim incandescent light with a lousy camera.

withsphene.jpg

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
Both of these are Russian demantoids. The darker one isn''t quite the top chrome green color but it still is fairly dark green. They both sparkle quite a bit.

kiz-demantoid6.jpg

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the replies and the photos.

They are all gorgeous. Now, do demantoids also have the ability to do blue or aqua when they give off fire? I''m asking as the sphenes I''ve seen rarely do blue - mostly yellow, green & red. So, do demantoids give off blue sometimes?

Thanks.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I haven't noticed blue in my Dementeds (what my friends and I call them!) but I'll have a look later! I know one of my sphenes does have blue. Here's a pic.

ETA - just noticed that the Demantoid in Kismet's ring shows some blue so I guess the answer is yes!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/16/2008 12:17:51 PM
Author: sonomacounty
Thanks for the replies and the photos.

They are all gorgeous. Now, do demantoids also have the ability to do blue or aqua when they give off fire? I''m asking as the sphenes I''ve seen rarely do blue - mostly yellow, green & red. So, do demantoids give off blue sometimes?

Thanks.
I think the Namibian stones almost look blue grey sometimes, and mine has lots of blue flash. I can''t say the same for the Russian stones.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/16/2008 12:56:22 PM
I haven''t noticed blue in my Dementeds (what my friends and I call them!) but I''ll have a look later! I know one of my sphenes does have blue. Here''s a pic.

ETA - just noticed that the Demantoid in Kismet''s ring shows some blue so I guess the answer is yes!

LD,
Don''t mean to hijack the thread but I just wanted to say - wow, nice sphene and great picture. I can''t get any sparkle coming from my sphene with my camera in macro mode and it sparkles like crazy. Do you wear it often since it is a soft stone?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/16/2008 6:30:30 AM
Author: Kismet
Both of these are Russian demantoids. The darker one isn''t quite the top chrome green color but it still is fairly dark green. They both sparkle quite a bit.

kiz-demantoid6.jpg
Nice green stone in rose gold!!! Love your demantoids and the color combo for the ring.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/16/2008 1:26:26 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover

Date: 11/16/2008 12:56:22 PM
I haven''t noticed blue in my Dementeds (what my friends and I call them!) but I''ll have a look later! I know one of my sphenes does have blue. Here''s a pic.

ETA - just noticed that the Demantoid in Kismet''s ring shows some blue so I guess the answer is yes!

LD,
Don''t mean to hijack the thread but I just wanted to say - wow, nice sphene and great picture. I can''t get any sparkle coming from my sphene with my camera in macro mode and it sparkles like crazy. Do you wear it often since it is a soft stone?
Thanks TL. I know what you mean about trying to photograph sparkle. My macro mode kills everything. I found that if the picture is slightly out of focus it will show! In all honesty the photo of the Sphene was the best of about 30!!!

You''re right, Sphene is very soft at 5.5 (I think) but in all honesty I believe that jewellery is to be worn so I do wear it although not very often. I''m not too tough on my rings so nothing chipped or cracked so far!!!

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I have three demantoids. Two are African stones: a lighter green pear that throws off a lot of red fire and the other is a darker green, in a square step cut. The third is my pride and joy: a Russian round with textbook horsetails, which is amazingly sparkly.

So far, only the pear is set, on a simple pendant, which shows off the flash nicely. I keep looking at the Russian and doing designs for it, but I haven''t found the perfect one to set my darling in yet.

rparker1998

Shiny_Rock
and here i thought dementoids (spelling it wrong probably) were rare. Where are you all picking up your loose stones? I''ve become addicted to demantoid garnents and am looking for one in a good quality that''s not too expensive. I love the deep green color and the fire they throw off. Thanks!

m76steve

Brilliant_Rock
this is a favorite-pretty & fun 2 wear-@ 10cts all russian...

forms sleeper 143.jpg

mochi

Ideal_Rock
I''m loving all the pictures, they are just so fun to look at. I don''t have one yet, but maybe next year... maybe....

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Here's mine, which is Russian, from 1900 or so:

demantoid4.jpg

And a close-up of the bottom stone, which has a nice horsetail:

horsetail8.JPG

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
WOW fabulous picture of the horsetail!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results