shape
carat
color
clarity

Does anyone have a chart for colored stone density?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m looking for a chart that gives the density of colored stones so I can get some idea of what size the colored stone might be in relation to a diamond. For example, if a sapphire is 30% denser than a diamond I would expect a 4 ct sapphire to be roughly the same size as a 3 ct diamond.

Certainly this is an oversimplified application, but you get the gist.

hlmr

Ideal_Rock
Hi Dee*Jay:

I just saved this info a few weeks ago for my own interest. Hope this helps.
1.gif

Diamond = 3.51
Sapphire = 3.99
Aquamarine = 2.65
Zircon = 4.65
Spinel = 3.58

So what this tells you is that a similar weight diamond and spinel would be about the same size (volume wise).
But a similar weight Zircon would be smaller than the diamond, and an Aqua larger since it weighs less per volume

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks very much for this info! Can I ask if you found this on a specific site?

Barbara

Rough_Rock
Date: 8/2/2006 9:52:46 AM
Author:Dee*Jay
I''m looking for a chart that gives the density of colored stones so I can get some idea of what size the colored stone might be in relation to a diamond. For example, if a sapphire is 30% denser than a diamond I would expect a 4 ct sapphire to be roughly the same size as a 3 ct diamond.

Certainly this is an oversimplified application, but you get the gist.

Hi Dee Jay,

1) I googled this site: http://www.csgnetwork.com/gemchar.html which has such a chart that you could print out. If you wanted to spend some money and have a more permanent reference, though
2) GIA sells (through their Book and Equipment store on line) two charts (A and B) which give the characteristics such as color, RI, density, characteristic inclusions, etc. A is common gems, B for more obscure. I have mine laminated and posted in my studio for easy reference.
3) A computer program that I use and recommend to my gemology students called Gemology Tools has all the statistics and pictures for hundreds of gems and minerals PLUS it has a weight calculator for both faceted and cabochon gems. You enter the size parameters and species of the gem and it calculates the expected weight. You can order the program at http://www.gemologytools.com

Barb

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, thank you for the wealth of info!

Welcome to the forum BTW, we''re very glad to have you.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results