shape
carat
color
clarity

Does anyone have a “Rhapsody” Cut stone from Gemfix?

Mjay

Brilliant_Rock
Does anyone have a “Rhapsody” Cut stone from Gemfix? One of their sapphires caught my eye. They make it very clear on their website that they don't offer additional photos or videos- a bit of a red flag imo but Ive seen raving reviews so i'll ignore it. I personally hate their photos and videos. I can't seem to get any idea of the cut. I'm hoping that some might have a stone cut in their rhapsody cut that can share photos and thoughts.

Inbloom

Shiny_Rock
Does anyone have a “Rhapsody” Cut stone from Gemfix? One of their sapphires caught my eye. They make it very clear on their website that they don't offer additional photos or videos- a bit of a red flag imo but Ive seen raving reviews so i'll ignore it. I personally hate their photos and videos. I can't seem to get any idea of the cut. I'm hoping that some might have a stone cut in their rhapsody cut that can share photos and thoughts.

Sorry no help, but I know what you mean, @Mjay. And the prices seem to be on par with places like ET (in terms of Montanas) as well, so there's no great advantage to giving them a try versus a place that would provide more videos by request.

Gemfix's videos are so grainy and too far away, I am afraid to pull the trigger on any of the stones. One of these days I will try to visit their store in San Diego...

Mjay

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry no help, but I know what you mean, @Mjay. And the prices seem to be on par with places like ET (in terms of Montanas) as well, so there's no great advantage to giving them a try versus a place that would provide more videos by request.

Gemfix's videos are so grainy and too far away, I am afraid to pull the trigger on any of the stones. One of these days I will try to visit their store in San Diego...
I’m glad I’m not the only one who thinks this! They just look like blurry blobs in the videos. It drives me nuts.

airplay355

Shiny_Rock
Which one are you looking at? I haven’t had an issue with them before and I think I’ve purchased maybe 3 things. They do have a return policy iirc. I think it was 7 days.

I wanted to add, just in case you haven’t tried this already…

click the gear in the YouTube video and change the resolution to 1080HD instead of auto, change the playback speed to 0.5 or slower.

Last edited:

Mjay

Brilliant_Rock
Which one are you looking at? I haven’t had an issue with them before and I think I’ve purchased maybe 3 things. They do have a return policy iirc. I think it was 7 days.

I wanted to add, just in case you haven’t tried this already…

click the gear in the YouTube video and change the resolution to 1080HD instead of auto, change the playback speed to 0.5 or slower.

Omg thank you so much for sharing your YouTube tip! I knew how to change the resolution but hadn’t thought about the speed. It definitely helped. There are actually 5 different stones that I’m considering so I’m now thinking I might have to take a trip down there if I decide I might purchase.

airplay355

Shiny_Rock
You’re welcome :)

Taking a trip there sounds fun. I’m on the east coast so it’s a bit far for me.

CSpan

Brilliant_Rock
Omg thank you so much for sharing your YouTube tip! I knew how to change the resolution but hadn’t thought about the speed. It definitely helped. There are actually 5 different stones that I’m considering so I’m now thinking I might have to take a trip down there if I decide I might purchase.

If you make the trip get an appt at Tom Schnieder too. Same building. They are open in person to the public but not online

Mjay

Brilliant_Rock
If you make the trip get an appt at Tom Schnieder too. Same building. They are open in person to the public but not online

Thank you so much! I hadn’t heard of Tom Schneider. I’m looking him up right now. I’m in Northern CA so if I book a bit in advance; I can easily find flights that are actually cheaper than gemfix’s shipping! A great excuse for a quick San Diego shopping trip!

CSpan

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you so much! I hadn’t heard of Tom Schneider. I’m looking him up right now. I’m in Northern CA so if I book a bit in advance; I can easily find flights that are actually cheaper than gemfix’s shipping! A great excuse for a quick San Diego shopping trip!

They don't have much if any web presence at least for consumers but they will happily sell to us. He is a floor down from Andrew if I recall. I about died when I walked in, think normal jewelry store U counter but stacks and stacks of trays of colored stones. I tried to catch it in a photo but did a lousy job. You can sort of see to the left below.
20210614_151520.jpg

Zarya

Rough_Rock
Does anyone have a “Rhapsody” Cut stone from Gemfix? [...]
I can't seem to get any idea of the cut.
I visited the Gemfix shop in person a few years ago and it was great fun! I think the owner's gems are very well cut. I probably saw some Rhapsody cuts, but was looking for a Portuguese round and so didn't pay attention to other cuts, sorry.
Have you looked at other Rhapsodies on the site to see whether you like the cut in general?
Gemfix sapphires, Rhapsody cut, yellow

Last edited:

Inbloom

Shiny_Rock
They don't have much if any web presence at least for consumers but they will happily sell to us. He is a floor down from Andrew if I recall. I about died when I walked in, think normal jewelry store U counter but stacks and stacks of trays of colored stones. I tried to catch it in a photo but did a lousy job. You can sort of see to the left below.
20210614_151520.jpg

Sounds like my kind of heaven!

Mjay

Brilliant_Rock
20210614_151520.jpg

Omg looks amazing! I will definitely give them a call if I end up heading down there! I really appreciate the recommendation!

Mjay

Brilliant_Rock
I visited the Gemfix shop in person a few years ago and it was great fun! I think the owner's gems are very well cut. I probably saw some Rhapsody cuts, but was looking for a Portuguese round and so didn't pay attention to other cuts, sorry.
Have you looked at other Rhapsodies on the site to see whether you like the cut in general?
Gemfix sapphires, Rhapsody cut, yellow
I’m leaning towards jetting down there. I’ve been looking at a bunch of the pics and videos and some definitely show the cut better than others. My only hang up with them right now is that I feel that the yellow stone that I’m most interested in is overpriced. That being said; they actually have a few blues that I find beautiful.

Zarya

Rough_Rock
I’m leaning towards jetting down there.
You should so go, especially if there's another gem shop to check out right in the same building! I wish I'd known that; never thought to check.
Just be aware that, at least when I visited Gemfix,
  1. they are closed on weekends
  2. you need an appointment

wordie89

Brilliant_Rock
Wishing I was on west coast! Bought a beautiful pink oval mahenge spinel from Gemfix about 10 years ago. It is the most sparkly stone No wiggle room on price though and probly no video then .

Mjay

Brilliant_Rock
Wishing I was on west coast! Bought a beautiful pink oval mahenge spinel from Gemfix about 10 years ago. It is the most sparkly stone No wiggle room on price though and probly no video then .

I’m in northern Ca but I can find $49 flights and it takes about 1hr 20 to get there! They have a heated yellow that I’m eyeballing but the price seems so steep to me and they won’t take additional videos. They’ve had it for years to. Another pricescoper posted about it back in 2016

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results