shape
carat
color
clarity

Does anyone else feel sad when they finish a book?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Okay, okay...maybe I''m nuts. But this past week I''ve been man-down with the flu and took to reading the Twilight series after watching the movie and loving it.

So now I''m on the last 50 pages of Breaking Dawn and I''m sad. I love these characters, their stories and their complicated relationships...there isn''t one person I haven''t found compelling...and yet I know at the end of this book that''s it. And it makes me wish I had read slower, or something because I''m still totally engrossed in the characters and not ready for their stories to be over!

And, lets be honest, this isn''t the first book I''ve attached myself too. Well written books suck me in.

Does anyone else ever feel this crazy...or is it just me
40.gif

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
That''s precisely how I feel at 9:59pm every Wednesday night... when LOST is over.

Bia

Ideal_Rock
No! You are definitely NOT alone. AND, I read a lot.

This happens to me anytime I find a book (especially a series), or an author that I love--I get obsessed and have to read every book that author has written. I get very sad when I have read everything an author has written, and I have to wait for the next book. Not only that, I read really, really fast, so sometimes I go through a book in two days (I mean big books!). I actually find myself trying to read slower so that I can savor the words...hehehe. I also re-read books that I love all the time, because it's not easy finding a great book. The first book I actually cried when I finished it? Anne of Green Gables, when I was 11. Then I found out there was a movie and I was hooked!

You're perfectly normals sweets. All this talk about Twilight is making me wonder if I should pick it up...hmmmm.

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/15/2009 2:32:13 PM
Author:Italiahaircolor
Okay, okay...maybe I''m nuts. But this past week I''ve been man-down with the flu and took to reading the Twilight series after watching the movie and loving it.

So now I''m on the last 50 pages of Breaking Dawn and I''m sad. I love these characters, their stories and their complicated relationships...there isn''t one person I haven''t found compelling...and yet I know at the end of this book that''s it. And it makes me wish I had read slower, or something because I''m still totally engrossed in the characters and not ready for their stories to be over!

And, lets be honest, this isn''t the first book I''ve attached myself too. Well written books suck me in.

Does anyone else ever feel this crazy...or is it just me
40.gif
Always. I love reading, and I refuse to read a book that doesn''t entirely captivate me. So often I want to know what happens next, the ending was just an ending to that particular phase in the character''s life...but what happens then? Or 5 years later? How does one go forth in life after something life-altering happens, how do they change from who they were to who they become. Ahhh, yeah, I think too much.
27.gif

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
OMG I am totally the same way! I always want MORE!

At least there''s always re-reading. Not quite the same... but still fun!

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/15/2009 2:40:13 PM
Author: Bia

You''re perfectly normals sweets. All this talk about Twilight is making me wonder if I should pick it up...hmmmm.
Some people love it, some hate it. I''d definitely recommend reading the first couple of chapters at the bookstore, because the style/quality of the writing can be quite polarizing.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
No! You are definitely NOT alone. AND, I read a lot.

This happens to me anytime I find a book (especially a series), or an author that I love--I get obsessed and have to read every book that author has written. I get very sad when I have read everything an author has written, and I have to wait for the next book. Not only that, I read really, really fast, so sometimes I go through a book in two days (I mean big books!). I actually find myself trying to read slower so that I can savor the words...hehehe. I also re-read books that I love all the time, because it's not easy finding a great book. The first book I actually cried when I finished it? Anne of Green Gables, when I was 11. Then I found out there was a movie and I was hooked!

You're perfectly normals sweets. All this talk about Twilight is making me wonder if I should pick it up...hmmmm.

Bia and italia I totally hear you. I'm exactly the same way. I mourn books when I'm done and I read really quickly. It's agony to have to wait for the next book to come out...

If you guys want a good series suggestion (fantastically long books and great story telling), then I reccommend the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon. It's historical fiction, about an American woman from the 1940s who goes back in time to 1700's Scotland. It's FANTASTIC!!! All of the books are like Harry Potter long and there are at least 5 of them with a new one coming out this summer. I love them because they're so long that I can re-read the series and feel like it's the first time.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/15/2009 2:42:56 PM
Author: geckodani

I feel like re-reading is never the same...it doesn''t catch me like it did the first time. Again, to sound crazy, I love the surprises that surprise the characters...knowing them in advance doesn''t ever feel as good as being like "holy s***, that just happened!"

I''m hopeful that Stephanie Meyer will now push forward with her once planned series to write Twilight from Edwards prospective...and let me tell you, I''d be out in line with all the tweens foaming at the mouth for a copy!

PaulaW

Brilliant_Rock
I am totally the same way!! I LOVED the Twilight series and was like a fiend waiting for the next book... it was not pretty. I was the same way with the Harry Potter series... I get very sad at the end of books, especially when there are micro-details that go unanswered. Thank God I''m not alone!

onedrop

Ideal_Rock
I do feel sad sometimes when I finish a book. Sometimes I find myself wondering what happen to them after the book is finished. I have even had dreams about some character!

When I am really captivated, I also feel sad during the reading of the book. But I guess it''s natural to feel that way. I just finished reading The Namesake and I had to put it away for a week or so because I was so heartbroken about what the family went through trying to reconcile their culture and the American way of life.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/15/2009 2:45:31 PM
Author: musey

You''re perfectly normals sweets. All this talk about Twilight is making me wonder if I should pick it up...hmmmm.
Some people love it, some hate it. I''d definitely recommend reading the first couple of chapters at the bookstore, because the style/quality of the writing can be quite polarizing.
I avoided Twilight for the duration of the publications...obviously, I started them last week. I was always like "vampires, werewolves, whatever"...but I so bored one day that I rented the movie onDemand...and, the rest is history.

I''m not a sci-fi kinda gal...but these books are so much more than that...they are romance and action...they capture you from the first word on the page. Reading them with my eyes, I was surprised many times this was considered a "teen series" since often times the characters get very dark and deep...but as an adult, it''s perfect.

They are also an easy read, in my opinion. Reading the books is the equvilant of drinking water...they go down easy...you can start and look up 100 pages later and feel like you simply blinked. I read the 2nd and 3rd books in a day each.

I would strongly recommend reading them, but like Musey said, they aren''t for everyone.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/15/2009 2:50:16 PM
Author: PaulaW
I am totally the same way!! I LOVED the Twilight series and was like a fiend waiting for the next book... it was not pretty. I was the same way with the Harry Potter series... I get very sad at the end of books, especially when there are micro-details that go unanswered. Thank God I''m not alone!
I didn''t start reading these until they were all published...and I made the comment that I was thankful I was able to make an easy transition after each book...I couldn''t imagine the torture having to wait months and months for my next Edward and Bella fix, ohhhhhhhhhh the agony.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/15/2009 2:42:56 PM

Ditto - and I keep my favorites around so I can re-read them. I re-read all of Jane Austen earlier this year after about a 5-year hiatus, and it was marvelous fun
9.gif

Steel

Ideal_Rock
I try to drag out the ending of a book by only reading a page or two when it gets down to the last fifity pages.

I always mourn the end of a book.
39.gif

Bia

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/15/2009 2:54:09 PM
Author: Italiahaircolor

I avoided Twilight for the duration of the publications...obviously, I started them last week. I was always like ''vampires, werewolves, whatever''...but I so bored one day that I rented the movie onDemand...and, the rest is history.

I''m not a sci-fi kinda gal...but these books are so much more than that...they are romance and action...they capture you from the first word on the page. Reading them with my eyes, I was surprised many times this was considered a ''teen series'' since often times the characters get very dark and deep...but as an adult, it''s perfect.

They are also an easy read, in my opinion. Reading the books is the equvilant of drinking water...they go down easy...you can start and look up 100 pages later and feel like you simply blinked. I read the 2nd and 3rd books in a day each.

I would strongly recommend reading them, but like Musey said, they aren''t for everyone.
Hmmm...I think that''s why I didn''t pick it up because I''m not into vampire-ey/sci-fi stories. For instance, I tried to get into Anne Rice because she is an incredible writer and beloved author, but she just couldn''t capture me. And I loveeeee to fall in!

Although, people have been raving about this series that I am wondering if I should check it out. Thanks for the heads up musey & italia...I''ll see what''s what next time I''m at B&Ns.

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/15/2009 2:50:19 PM
Author: onedrop

When I am really captivated, I also feel sad during the reading of the book. But I guess it''s natural to feel that way. I just finished reading The Namesake and I had to put it away for a week or so because I was so heartbroken about what the family went through trying to reconcile their culture and the American way of life.
I loved that book too. I''m currently reading ''The Book of Negroes'', and I know it''s going to tug at my heart for a very long time. After I read a book that has moved me so deeply, I have to leave it on my table for a few days, so that I can look at it everyday and think about it. When I''m finally done with it, I''ll take it to our office den and place it on my bookshelf. Yep, I''m your classic definition of a bibiophile.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock

Date: 4/15/2009 2:59:21 PM
Author: Steel
I try to drag out the ending of a book by only reading a page or two when it gets down to the last fifity pages.

I always mourn the end of a book.
39.gif
Haha, me too!

tlh

Ideal_Rock
I know I felt the same way about the book... so much so that I found the author's website, and read her rough draft copy of Midnight Sun... the re-write of the first book from Edward's POV. I read that often, because I cannot get enough of the characters!

(ETA: I felt bad because I read all 4 books and the rough draft in 5 days... and then it was... over...)

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Black Dagger Brotherhood by J.R. Ward. A much more.... adult take on vampires. (Yes, they''re romance novels. But they are like CRACK. I love them).

I second Diana Gabaldon as well!

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/15/2009 2:54:09 PM
Author: Italiahaircolor
I avoided Twilight for the duration of the publications...obviously, I started them last week. I was always like ''vampires, werewolves, whatever''...but I so bored one day that I rented the movie onDemand...and, the rest is history.

I''m not a sci-fi kinda gal...but these books are so much more than that...they are romance and action...they capture you from the first word on the page. Reading them with my eyes, I was surprised many times this was considered a ''teen series'' since often times the characters get very dark and deep...but as an adult, it''s perfect.

That is what I''ve heard, in both a positive and negative context.

My friends that have read them really enjoyed the story, but thought the writing quality was severely lacking and took away from the book overall. My SIL, on the other hand, completely loves the series... but she is a very different type of person from myself and my circle.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
I haven''t been able to get into Twilight but Italia, to answer your question, YES. I get so sad when the book is over, especially if it''s a stand-alone or the last book of a favorite series. And I got really sad when I finally read the last book of the current Discworld series - because it''ll be so long until another one is out! But I love re-reading my favorite books - it''s like meeting old familiar friends again
1.gif

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
That happens to me all the time when I''m finishing a book I''m really interested in.

I had finished Something Borrowed and went to get Something Blue just to keep the story going.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/15/2009 3:24:56 PM
Author: Brown.Eyed.Girl
I haven''t been able to get into Twilight but Italia, to answer your question, YES. I get so sad when the book is over, especially if it''s a stand-alone or the last book of a favorite series. And I got really sad when I finally read the last book of the current Discworld series - because it''ll be so long until another one is out! But I love re-reading my favorite books - it''s like meeting old familiar friends again
1.gif
I am not a big re-reader, but when I do...it does feel like old friends.

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You''re not nuts, I do feel a bit down when I finish a good book. I think part of that is because I have no idea what I will do with my spare time that I would usually be reading!

Sabine

Ideal_Rock
ALL THE TIME!!! For me, part of it is being sad because I had had something to look forward to and now it''s gone, and then part of it is actually missing the characters and hearing about them.

The worst was after reading the 7 part Stephen King Dark Tower series. I seriously missed those characters after all those pages.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/15/2009 3:18:12 PM
Black Dagger Brotherhood by J.R. Ward. A much more.... adult take on vampires. (Yes, they're romance novels. But they are like CRACK. I love them).

I LOVE THE BDB!!!! OMG those books are great (lots of action, sexy, hot men-what's not to like?)!

Gecko-have you read any of Sherrilyn Kenyon or Karen Marie Moning's stuff? Fantastic!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I definitely feel a letdown when I''m finishing up a great read. Then there are those books that I get halfway through and wonder why I''m wasting my time!

Bia: I feel you on the Anne of Green Gables sadness...what a wonderful series. Remember the PBS movie? Maybe it wasn''t just PBS, but I remember the movie and I SOOOO wanted to be Anne!

The Twilight books aren''t too bad, I''m not as crazy about them as everyone else seems to be, but they''re definitely entertaining. It took me forever to actually get around to reading the two my friend forced me to borrow, but I started them and they turned out to be fair enough.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
yes...i am a super fast reader and sometimes i hate it. i can finish a 400 page book in 8 hours if i don't have anything else to do, and so it makes purchasing books too expensive. i end up trying to limit myself to 15 min a day but then i CHAFE at wanting to read more. i don't have enough time for library visits etc etc...i tend to just go on amazon and 'restock' when i need to, trying to use their sales or clearance sections to save some cash.

i am a re-reader though as well, and i have tons of books i have read like 5-10 times if not more. but at some point, it is a bit like...ok i am over this, time to get rid of it. i love to give books away too, when we moved i gave like 30-40 popular chick-lit books to friends.

oh PS i LOVED anne of green gables, read all the books when i was growing up. i wanted to be her for sure.

and on Twilight....i held out for months and months due to all the hype, which i hate. refused to see the movie til i read it though, so just finally read it, saw the moive, and then read synopsis' of the next few books online...now i would love to read the rest of them but i dont want to BUY them. i am like surely i know people who have them. hahaha. i am torn on liking them, i like the writing for the most part, but ever since reading a critique of the writing online i tend to agree with one thing that stuck out. WAY too much emphasis on the surreal beauty of edward and also way too many adjectives. in Twilight, i was pretty much over the 'beautiful eyes' thing by like page 50. hehee. and then in the movie, his makeup was crazy horrible.... like you could see it caked on in HD. i hear in the next movie they are doing a much better job.

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/15/2009 3:57:39 PM
Author: Hudson_Hawk

Date: 4/15/2009 3:18:12 PM
Black Dagger Brotherhood by J.R. Ward. A much more.... adult take on vampires. (Yes, they''re romance novels. But they are like CRACK. I love them).

I LOVE THE BDB!!!! OMG those books are great (lots of action, sexy, hot men-what''s not to like?)!

Gecko-have you read any of Sherrilyn Kenyon or Karen Marie Moning''s stuff? Fantastic!
Karen Marie Moning rocks my world. I want a MacKeltar.
27.gif

Sherrilyn Kenyon... I dunno. I could never really get into them, but I''ve read them.

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/15/2009 4:01:57 PM
Author: Mara
yes...i am a super fast reader and sometimes i hate it. i can finish a 400 page book in 8 hours if i don''t have anything else to do, and so it makes purchasing books too expensive. i end up trying to limit myself to 15 min a day but then i CHAFE at wanting to read more. i don''t have enough time for library visits etc etc...i tend to just go on amazon and ''restock'' when i need to, trying to use their sales or clearance sections to save some cash.

i am a re-reader though as well, and i have tons of books i have read like 5-10 times if not more. but at some point, it is a bit like...ok i am over this, time to get rid of it. i love to give books away too, when we moved i gave like 30-40 popular chick-lit books to friends.

oh PS i LOVED anne of green gables, read all the books when i was growing up. i wanted to be her for sure.

and on Twilight....i held out for months and months due to all the hype, which i hate. refused to see the movie til i read it though, so just finally read it, saw the moive, and then read synopsis'' of the next few books online...now i would love to read the rest of them but i dont want to BUY them. i am like surely i know people who have them. hahaha. i am torn on liking them, i like the writing for the most part, but ever since reading a critique of the writing online i tend to agree with one thing that stuck out. WAY too much emphasis on the surreal beauty of edward and also way too many adjectives. in Twilight, i was pretty much over the ''beautiful eyes'' thing by like page 50. hehee. and then in the movie, his makeup was crazy horrible.... like you could see it caked on in HD. i hear in the next movie they are doing a much better job.
I actually liked the movie better than the books, except for the makeup issue! Blech.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results