shape
carat
color
clarity

Does anyone else feel sad when they finish a book?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/15/2009 4:07:32 PM
Author: geckodani
Date: 4/15/2009 3:57:39 PM

Author: Hudson_Hawk

Date: 4/15/2009 3:18:12 PM

Author: geckodani

Black Dagger Brotherhood by J.R. Ward. A much more.... adult take on vampires. (Yes, they''re romance novels. But they are like CRACK. I love them).

I second Diana Gabaldon as well!

I LOVE THE BDB!!!! OMG those books are great (lots of action, sexy, hot men-what''s not to like?)!

Gecko-have you read any of Sherrilyn Kenyon or Karen Marie Moning''s stuff? Fantastic!
Karen Marie Moning rocks my world. I want a MacKeltar.
27.gif

Sherrilyn Kenyon... I dunno. I could never really get into them, but I''ve read them.

Um...not if I go back in time and get there before you (and their wives) do!

October2008bride

Brilliant_Rock
I was the exact same way with Twilight - luckily I also waited until they were all released before starting, because as soon as I finished 1, I had to go straight to the store to buy the next.

One thing I did like was that I felt like Breaking Dawn wrapped it all up for me. I didn''t have a bunch of questions or anything at the end.

I did go and read the first half of Midnight Sun on the author''s website and that did leave me wanting more so I can just hope she finishes writing it.

I highly doubt she won''t finish it - you''d have to hate money to not release it. Even with having read half, I''d still buy it!

But yes, I also get sad at the end of books. I just want more!

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
I totally know what you mean. It''s like coming home from a holiday or having to leave your family or something! You miss the book!

Bia

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/15/2009 4:00:25 PM
Author: monarch64
I definitely feel a letdown when I''m finishing up a great read. Then there are those books that I get halfway through and wonder why I''m wasting my time!

Bia: I feel you on the Anne of Green Gables sadness...what a wonderful series. Remember the PBS movie? Maybe it wasn''t just PBS, but I remember the movie and I SOOOO wanted to be Anne!

The Twilight books aren''t too bad, I''m not as crazy about them as everyone else seems to be, but they''re definitely entertaining. It took me forever to actually get around to reading the two my friend forced me to borrow, but I started them and they turned out to be fair enough.
That''s the movie I speak of. When I was a kid, it was my favorite non-cartoon movie (I had both on VHS)! A couple of years ago I got it on DVD because it is THAT good (although the third one, which they made years later isn''t as good, and it doesn''t follow the books at all). I hope to one day share it with my future daughter/s, or nieces, if I don''t have any girls. Sappy I know. It was just a great childhood experience for me.
9.gif
Megan Follows played a wonderful Anne Shirley :)

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
dani...yeah i thought they did an excellent job on the movie actually... i liked it better than the book almost because it was sans all the SUPER dramatic adjective laden prose aka ''oh he is soooo fabulously wonderfully beautiful and perfect, why does he like weird little ole me'' kind of attitude that the book had. i liked the attitude bella had in the movie rather than in the book.

the only downer for me reading the book after seeing all the ads on the movie etc is that in my head i always had the actors'' faces as the characters faces, when if the movie had not been out yet, i might have imagined them ''looking'' differently...one of the things i love about books, open to interpretation.

ChinaCat

Brilliant_Rock
Big sigh, yes! All the time. I actually slowed way down the last 100 pages of the last Harry Potter book because I didn''t want it to end. It always takes me awhile to "come back" to Earth when I finish a really good book. I feel like I"m in a daze.

I distinctly remember the first time I read Pride and Prejudice. It was only recently, in like 2004 or something. I was living in London at the time, and started reading it on a train to Scotland. I was so excited I still had something so wonderful to read that was new to me. I was very sad when I finished it.

Musey- Oh yes, I feel exactly the same way after Lost! I get so caught up in their lives, I don''t want to come back to mine!

BEG- Is Discworld the Terry Pratchett series? If so, my DH devours them. Did you hear that T. Pratchett has Alzheimer''s?
7.gif

Fiery- I thought Something Blue was so much better than Something Borrowed!

Twilight- It''s so funny how people are so divided on this one. I belong to a pretty "intellectual" book club where we tend to read more literary fiction. One day after we discussed the book we had actually picked for the Book Club, we ended up in a very heated discussion about Twilight for way longer than we actually discussed the other book! I have read the first two- picked one up on a plane, finished it on that plane ride, couldn''t put it down. That being said, the writing is atrocious. She literally does everything that a "good" author is not supposed to do. It makes me cringe- very cliched, WAY too many adjectives, etc. However, FWIW, she is very good at character development and plot, so that you can get sucked into the story enough to hopefully ignore the bad writing. And she has sold tons of books, so she is doing something right. I think if you can ignore the bad writing, then they are very fun reads. I thought the second one was way better- because Edward wasn''t in most of it and her descriptions of him are the worst.

Just remember how many great books there are out there to discover that you haven''t read yet!
36.gif
I literally have to limit myself at the bookstore- it is a miracle if I get out of there for less than $100. I have a serious addiction. And I know I should go to the library, but I like OWNING them.
11.gif

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/15/2009 4:24:57 PM
Author: ChinaCat
Big sigh, yes! All the time. I actually slowed way down the last 100 pages of the last Harry Potter book because I didn''t want it to end. It always takes me awhile to ''come back'' to Earth when I finish a really good book. I feel like I''m in a daze.

I distinctly remember the first time I read Pride and Prejudice. It was only recently, in like 2004 or something. I was living in London at the time, and started reading it on a train to Scotland. I was so excited I still had something so wonderful to read that was new to me. I was very sad when I finished it.

Musey- Oh yes, I feel exactly the same way after Lost! I get so caught up in their lives, I don''t want to come back to mine!

BEG- Is Discworld the Terry Pratchett series? If so, my DH devours them. Did you hear that T. Pratchett has Alzheimer''s?
7.gif

Twilight- It''s so funny how people are so divided on this one. I belong to a pretty ''intellectual'' book club where we tend to read more literary fiction. One day after we discussed the book we had actually picked for the Book Club, we ended up in a very heated discussion about Twilight for way longer than we actually discussed the other book! I have read the first two- picked one up on a plane, finished it on that plane ride, couldn''t put it down. That being said, the writing is atrocious. She literally does everything that a ''good'' author is not supposed to do. It makes me cringe- very cliched, WAY too many adjectives, etc. However, FWIW, she is very good at character development and plot, so that you can get sucked into the story enough to hopefully ignore the bad writing. And she has sold tons of books, so she is doing something right. I think if you can ignore the bad writing, then they are very fun reads. I thought the second one was way better- because Edward wasn''t in most of it and her descriptions of him are the worst.

Just remember how many great books there are out there to discover that you haven''t read yet!
36.gif
I literally have to limit myself at the bookstore- it is a miracle if I get out of there for less than $100. I have a serious addiction. And I know I should go to the library, but I like OWNING them.
11.gif

This is one of the reasons why I love Amazon so much. Their recommendations have turned me on to so many new authors in the genres I like and read most often. I also like get referrals from other people, but it''s rare to find someone with the same taste as me. One day I''ll be reading Tom Clancy, the next day I''ll be reading Austen, and then the next day I''ll be reading about shape shifters...sigh...

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yep, there have been a few books that I''ve been really sad to finish as I wanted to keep reading about what happened to the person. I tend to only read true life crime books so I''d love to know how their lives turned out.

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
I''m always sad when a good book ends!

I wish Margaret Mitchell had written a sequel to Gone With the Wind so badly!

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/15/2009 5:03:01 PM
Author: OUpeargirl

there are two GWTW-associated books, though I don''t think they were written by MM. One is called "Scarlett" and the other is "Rhett Butler''s People". Both good.

ChinaCat

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/15/2009 4:37:24 PM

Big sigh, yes! All the time. I actually slowed way down the last 100 pages of the last Harry Potter book because I didn''t want it to end. It always takes me awhile to ''come back'' to Earth when I finish a really good book. I feel like I''m in a daze.

7.gif

Twilight- It''s so funny how people are so divided on this one. I belong to a pretty ''intellectual'' book club where we tend to read more literary fiction. One day after we discussed the book we had actually picked for the Book Club, we ended up in a very heated discussion about Twilight for way longer than we actually discussed the other book! I have read the first two- picked one up on a plane, finished it on that plane ride, couldn''t put it down. That being said, the writing is atrocious. She literally does everything that a ''good'' author is not supposed to do. It makes me cringe- very cliched, WAY too many adjectives, etc. However, FWIW, she is very good at character development and plot, so that you can get sucked into the story enough to hopefully ignore the bad writing. And she has sold tons of books, so she is doing something right. I think if you can ignore the bad writing, then they are very fun reads. I thought the second one was way better- because Edward wasn''t in most of it and her descriptions of him are the worst.

36.gif
11.gif

This is one of the reasons why I love Amazon so much. Their recommendations have turned me on to so many new authors in the genres I like and read most often. I also like get referrals from other people, but it''s rare to find someone with the same taste as me. One day I''ll be reading Tom Clancy, the next day I''ll be reading Austen, and then the next day I''ll be reading about shape shifters...sigh...
Hudson, I''ll be your book buddy. I read everything- literary fiction, classic fiction, sci fi, chick lit, thrillers, you name it. If it''s good, me likes it. And I usually have a few going at once!

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/15/2009 5:08:14 PM
Date: 4/15/2009 5:03:01 PM

Author: OUpeargirl

there are two GWTW-associated books, though I don''t think they were written by MM. One is called ''Scarlett'' and the other is ''Rhett Butler''s People''. Both good.

I''ve read them both.. I just wish one were written by MM!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/15/2009 3:55:12 PM
Author: Sabine
ALL THE TIME!!! For me, part of it is being sad because I had had something to look forward to and now it''s gone, and then part of it is actually missing the characters and hearing about them.

The worst was after reading the 7 part Stephen King Dark Tower series. I seriously missed those characters after all those pages.

I loved those books!! The Stand has always been one of my favorite books and I''ve read it probably 20 times, but I just really enjoy it. I like a lot of different genres, and there''re books that I read and reread. Piers Anthony, Dragonlance, Sue Grafton, John Sanford..the list goes on and on..Jeez, I still reread Nancy Drew and Trixie Belden!

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock

7.gif

36.gif
11.gif

Yes, Discworld is the Terry Pratchett series. And NO I had no idea! That is so so sad
39.gif

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/15/2009 2:40:13 PM
Author: Bia
No! You are definitely NOT alone. AND, I read a lot.

This happens to me anytime I find a book (especially a series), or an author that I love--I get obsessed and have to read every book that author has written. I get very sad when I have read everything an author has written, and I have to wait for the next book. Not only that, I read really, really fast, so sometimes I go through a book in two days (I mean big books!). I actually find myself trying to read slower so that I can savor the words...hehehe. I also re-read books that I love all the time, because it''s not easy finding a great book. The first book I actually cried when I finished it? Anne of Green Gables, when I was 11. Then I found out there was a movie and I was hooked!

You''re perfectly normals sweets. All this talk about Twilight is making me wonder if I should pick it up...hmmmm.

I LOVE the Anne of Green Gables series! I just finished re-reading them, lol, though definitely not in order!

diamondsrock

Brilliant_Rock
italianhaircolor, you and I must be twins. I saw the Twilight movie, was intrigued and loved it, so bought the books. I am on page 200 of Breaking Dawn right now. I think I''ve been reading for a week and a half or so.

However, as fun as they are, and they are an easy read, I am getting annoyed with her writing. She uses the same phrases over and over again. Also, I wish Bella didn''t revolve her entire life around Edward. She has no sense of self. Not a strong female role model for all the young girls reading these books. If little girls weren''t so in love with the books, I wouldn''t care about any of that. Just don''t think it sends a great message. Also, I just can''t get why everyone is so in love with Bella? I don''t find her that interesting besides the fact that she cooks. That''s it. I just don''t see why every guy in school (plus Edward and Jacob) are dying to date her. Unless she is impossibly beautiful like the vampires are - in which case why weren''t guys falling all over her in Phoenix? I think the emphasis on beauty in these books is way overboard. I mean, Edward is beautiful, we get it. I think I liked New Moon (except for the depressing beginning) the best because I didn''t have to hear how perfect Edward was throughout the whole book. However, I would be interested in reading Midnight Sun because I want to know more about Edward as a person (er, vampire), especially his feelings at being turned by Carlise and what''s he been up to for the past 100 years. Edward is pretty charming and romantic. However in books 1 and 2, if I guy did some of the stuff he did in today''s society he''d be considered controlling and creepy. I don''t want to give any examples for spoilers but there are several incidents. I do see why girls are drawn to him, though. He is very protective, loves her endlessly, is filthy rich, smart, educated, witty, plus wants to take care of her. She''ll never want for anything with him. However, he is so sappy it''s hard to relate to him. I just can''t imagine anyone so perfect in reality. I can relate better to Jacob because I could see him as a real person. Maybe his character is just better developed, I don''t know. However, some of the stunts he pulled later annoyed me.

I''m getting so wrapped up in these books I need to join a book club to discuss!

Anyways, I can see what you are saying. I mean, it''s like you''re emotionally invested in these characters now after spending so much time with them. I guess I don''t feel as much of a connection to the books mainly because I''m not really relating to most of the characters. I do want to finish Breaking Dawn now, though. It''s like a project I need to wrap up. I think I liked the movie better than the book. Plus I discovered Rob Pattinson and I think he''s a pretty great actor (I usually can''t stand movie stars).

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m a very fast reader and get very very into whatever book I''m reading. I totally submerge myself...I cry, laugh, stop reading because I couldnt believe something happened, gasped, etc.

I told my hubby after I ravished all the twilight books in 2 days (yes all of them...would have been quicker but I had to go to work, school, and sleep sometime!) and I told my hubby that I am very sorry...but I will be in love with Edward cullen for a few days....and I was! I was swept off my feet and wishing I was bella!

I become very involved in my books...its my escape from the real world. Its the only way I surrived my childhood and my teenage years. I dont read much anymore (I become so engrossed in a book that I become very very moody if I get intrupted or have to put the book down)

I dont want to escape the "real" world anymore because I''m happy with life the way it is...but that doesnt change the way I read my books! I become the characters!

NOW I''M THE WEIRD ONE!
34.gif

April20

Ideal_Rock
Absolutely! I really, really loved The Time Traveler''s Wife and didn''t want to come to the end of it. I also feel this way with series books when the series is ending. It''s like you''ve lost someone you knew.

hoofbeats95

Brilliant_Rock
I was very sad when I finished The Host by Stephenie Meyer. I LOVED that cast of characters. Maybe even more so than the Twilight characters. Though I will admit to loving Alice and wishing there was a book with her as the main character. But The Host just really grabbed me and I was sad when I read the last page and it was over.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock

Date: 4/15/2009 9:12:57 PM
Author: hoofbeats95
I was very sad when I finished The Host by Stephenie Meyer. I LOVED that cast of characters. Maybe even more so than the Twilight characters. Though I will admit to loving Alice and wishing there was a book with her as the main character. But The Host just really grabbed me and I was sad when I read the last page and it was over.
I am going to pick up The Host next!

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
I felt the same way as you when I finished reading the twilight series. U even went back and reread the first book again.
If it makes you feel better you can go to stephanie meyers website and download the first book retold by Edward. It shows you his perspective and how he falls in love with Bella.
It''s just a few chapters though as she stopped writing it after it leaked out on the Internet. To be fair to her readers she decided to post it on her website for free.
It''s pretty cool!

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
I felt the same way as you when I finished reading the twilight series. U even went back and reread the first book again.
If it makes you feel better you can go to stephanie meyers website and download the first book retold by Edward. It shows you his perspective and how he falls in love with Bella.
It''s just a few chapters though as she stopped writing it after it leaked out on the Internet. To be fair to her readers she decided to post it on her website for free.
It''s pretty cool!

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock

Date: 4/15/2009 9:27:51 PM
Author: butterfly 17
It''s pretty cool!
I am going to read it. I just feel sad. It''s odd, I realize...and maybe totally crazy.

When characters are written beautifully, like Bella & Edward, you find things about them you really like. You hope the best for them, and as they unfold you almost "fall" for them. When it''s over, it''s over. I guess maybe it''s because I''ve been living and breathing these books for the last week I''m feeling kind of like "what now?" but I''ll probably re-read the books again because they are sooooo good.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
YES... books that I adore, I literally feel a loss when it''s over. They become real to you as their personalities develop and it''s difficult to let go, sometimes. The mark of a great book?? You are not crazy (or we both are! one of those
9.gif
)

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
If it''s a great book, and I really connect with the characters, then yes. I am broken hearted that there will be no more Harry Potter books!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results