shape
carat
color
clarity

Does anyone else do this when browsing?

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Curious if anyone else specifically looks for maker’s marks when browsing online. One better, if you do this do you also look up the symbol or letters to try and figure out who made said piece?

I realized over the weekend that I do this almost constantly, zooming in on a ring, looking it up and moving on. I don’t buy anything so it’s a little nonsensical. I did find some cool pieces from the 20’s and 30’s and even a Jabel that was not labeled as such!

Am I alone in this?

Efleon

Brilliant_Rock
Curious if anyone else specifically looks for maker’s marks when browsing online. One better, if you do this do you also look up the symbol or letters to try and figure out who made said piece?

I realized over the weekend that I do this almost constantly, zooming in on a ring, looking it up and moving on. I don’t buy anything so it’s a little nonsensical. I did find some cool pieces from the 20’s and 30’s and even a Jabel that was not labeled as such!

Am I alone in this?

Yup.
Totally normal (for a PS-er that is!)

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
lolll I also do that!

Paisley2628

Brilliant_Rock

Am I alone in this?

I do it all the time!

I feel bad for some sellers (not professional sellers) when they list something and don't realize what they have. I've been known to email them and let them know so they can relist it properly.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ahhhhh, I’m glad I’m not the only one!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I do it too!

Smith3

Shiny_Rock
Me too, I have a lot of free time lol

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
Waaaaait, I thought this was totally normal?!:???:

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m a fan of James Meyers’ jewelry, and for quite a while I had a long, elaborate eBay search string to let me search for pieces that he might possibly have made. Not easy since there’s also a popular jewelry manufacturing company that uses “JM” - I’m guessing through home sales? Anyhow, I’ve ran across a few things that I suspect were made by James Mayer but they just were not either within my price range or to my taste. Here are two of them:

Two more:

Last edited:

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have any of you (or anyone reading) found a great piece while maker mark browsing?

I came upon a matched Van Craeynest set doing exactly this, unless you zoomed in to see the hallmark you wouldn’t have realized it was VC!

Paisley2628

Brilliant_Rock
The most common I've seen are Ostby Barton pieces. I used to collect OB and Belais rings/bands, but I have sold them over the years.

lala646

Brilliant_Rock
Have any of you (or anyone reading) found a great piece while maker mark browsing?

I came upon a matched Van Craeynest set doing exactly this, unless you zoomed in to see the hallmark you wouldn’t have realized it was VC!

I found a Jabel OEC solitaire pendant that was clearly marked, but the seller didn't note, and it was definitely priced without taking maker into account. The stone also has some flea bites, which helped the price too.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results