shape
carat
color
clarity

Does anybody wear a brooch / pin? Share with me please!

artdecogirl

Brilliant_Rock
I just bought a new pin on ebay and wanted to share and could not find a show me your pin / brooch thread so I thought I would start one, I would love to see others pieces and tell if you wear them and how you wear them! Please post pics!!!

This is my new old pin, probably 1920's 14 k with enamel over it and a tiny pearl center, there is some wear to the enamel but in person the gold shines through in those spots and it just looks gilded, I am in love with this piece!!!! It has a bale in back so it can be worn on a chain, I wore it saturday (the day it came in the mail) on a black cashmere wrap sweater. I usually wear a pin on my dress coat or like I did on saturday on a sweater, I do not get to dress often so they do spend more time then I like in my jewelery box. My camera is having issues so we are improvising.

rsz_1rsz_picture_2297.jpg

rsz_picture_2304.jpg

rsz_1rsz_1picture_2305.jpg

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
I have a few brooches.

First up is an antique garnet brooch set in 14k gold. I generally wear this on a black suit.

Next is an enamel brooch that my mother had in her jewelry box for years. From the style, I'm guessing it's from the 1960s.

Finally, is a Barry Bridgestock garnet cabochon brooch/pendant that I had made by local Minneapolis designer, Emily Johnson. It is set in rose gold and blackened silver with a tiny champagne diamond accent.

GarnetPendSnap6076a.JPG

Brooch2022.jpg

garnetbrooch5549.JPG

artdecogirl

Brilliant_Rock
Flygirl. I love the garnets in 14k, I bet that looks sharp on a suit. And that cabochon.... oh my! I like the different metals used in the setting, unexpected but it works, I will have to check her out. Thanks for sharing!

Black Jade

Brilliant_Rock
I love pins/brooches.
Unfortunately mine are all costume.
My grandmother left her tri-color gold pearl brooch to my cousin. (I got the rose gold bangle instead)

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I inherited serveral pins/broaches from my granny which are lovely.

See pics below:

Scorpion pin - this isn't an actual pic of mine but seems almost exactly the same. I wear this on my cream wool coat (it's winter here) and it looks lovely on the lapel. I get lots of compliments on it! My starsign is Scorpio too.

scorpianpin.jpg

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Second one is a Scottish Agate "Dirk" Pin which I gather was used for kilts.

Pic below again is not mine but similar. Mine has grey agate across the front and a brilliant citrine-colour faceted stone. I wear this one on my vintage purple wool coat. Again it has family links (Mum's side English, Dad's side is vaguely Scottish) and I enjoy wearing it on my lapel.

I also inherited a lovely gold/jade eagle/hawk pin and a dangly agate brooch both of which I can't find a pictures.

scottish pin.jpg

Tanzigrrl

Brilliant_Rock
I had this bar pin made for me by a local artist/jeweler. It has .60 ctw diamonds and 2.97 ctw blue topazes, set in sterling silver. It's the only non-costume pin I own. I like to wear it on my black wool winter coat. I'm not entirely sure how to wear it in spring/summer to be honest. My husband thinks I should put it on a lightweight pashmina or something, but I haven't tried that yet.

BarPin1.jpg

artdecogirl

Brilliant_Rock
Hot pozzum, I look at the kilt pins all the time on ebay but I don't know how to check authenticity of these so I never buy, you are so lucky you have one in your family, you never have to wonder! The scorpian is cool, what are the stones in yours?

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you Artdecogirl!

The scorpion pin is moonstones and sterling silver - very pretty although quite large and bold! I wish I had matching earrings for it.

The kilt pin is something i honestly had no idea what it was until recently when I actually bothered to do some research. I don't know if there is a market for fakes so I would assume most ones on Ebay would be genuine?

The others pins in this thread are lovely! I particularly like the garnet circle. :love:

artdecogirl

Brilliant_Rock
Hotpozzum, I had read a article once about sterling celtic type jewelery and how it was in fashion and because of that there were many repros made so I am suspicious I guess of the ones on ebay. So sad, I would love a pin with a thistle design. I really like the garnet pin also. :love:

Marywilliams, Thank you for posting, so nice to have a matched set!

Tanzigrrl, I love this bar pin, A classic look and great design, beautiful!

artdecogirl

Brilliant_Rock
I have 2 more pins to share, a bar pin 10k with a white metal wash over the top and a sapphire. The other is a white gold with a green stone, I am not sure what the stone is, I got it on ebay and the listing said "green stone" it's not a emerald, it is a clear green stone.

rsz_1rsz_brooches_007.jpg

rsz_1rsz_brooches_004.jpg

erinl

Brilliant_Rock
All the brooches are lovely--artdecogirl and tanzigirl, I particularly love yours!

I have been looking for brooches, anyone have preferred places to shop? Also, I would love to buy some colored stones and have them set, just not sure about who to contact for brooch semi mounts?

artdecogirl

Brilliant_Rock
Thankyou Erinl, I shop mostly ebay, I do look at our local pawn shop but I think they only resell what is in fashion, sadly I think if they got a pin they would take it apart and melt it down for scrap :nono: I believe stuller has brooch settings so any bench could set something for you.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Oooh what pretty brooches! I have a few I really love, have to take some pics. One fave is a tiny 18K yg lizard w/emerald eyes; I bought him at an estate jeweler. Another was my grandmother's, probably her sister's before that: it's round, about 1 1/2" diameter, set all over w/very nice amethysts, seed pearls & I forget what else, must get it out. I used to wear those a lot when I was still working, and a 14K Siberian Husky I got at the National one year. Might take some photos today.

lindacat

Rough_Rock
I collect old brooches/pins, etc - have lots of different ones. This is my latest one - very, very different. I have never seen another like it. Seller thought it was a bridal mourning piece of some sort. It is made from fabric and has a hand painted face. Possibly the bridal gown fabric was used to make this? Not sure what that large long "stick" in her hand is - another poster said maybe it was to keep her husband in line! If anyone has ideas or thoughts on it, would love to hear! thanks!

mourning bride brooch.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results