shape
carat
color
clarity

Does anybody have a KILLER red velvet cake recipe?

TristanC

Brilliant_Rock
Hi, I need to make this, and this is not a popular cake locally... I know it is big in the US, so wanted to see if any helpful souls can chip in on this.

It has to be really yums! ;-) Haha... All help is appreciated of course, no need to be humble. Kitchen goddesses, please help.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay so... in FHH (family home and health) there is a cupcake thread, it's a longer thread, and I am pretty sure there are a few there.

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/the-cupcake-thread.81117/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/the-cupcake-thread.81117/[/URL] Is the thread. Enter at own risk (and I mean that sincerely).

You are very lucky cause in the 2500 plus posts in that thread. The first 60 or so kick off the thread with red velvet. So you can start on page one, instead of 80 :-o

TristanC

Brilliant_Rock
Holy!!! 80++ pages!

Hmm, so did I post in the wrong forum? Ok, thanks for that! Now I have got one recipe... MrS. Thank you if you are reading this.

Any more?

Haha, I will do about 3 recipes on the same day and compare the up... Then pick one to go with. It is a birthday cake

Thanks for the heads up Gypsy.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you don't want to wade through the thread, can I recommend Paula Deen's RVC recipe (footnetwork.com)? OMG it's sooooo delicious!

vsc

Shiny_Rock
TristanC, I don't have a recipe to contribute but would advise trying them first, as you're planning to do. Flour protein content and other characteristics seem to vary a lot country by country and I have ran into issues trying to use recipes from one place in another.
It might help to weigh the flour instead of measuring it by volume, and to try to match the protein content to standard american cake flour. But then again, the difference in outcome might be minute, so it's worth a try as-is first.
Good luck!

kas baby

Brilliant_Rock

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
What does red velvet cake taste like? I've heard a lot about it.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
tristan, I don't know how far you read into that thread but the first recipe I posted had a mistake in and left off the "cup" on the butter. here is the revised recipe:

Here''s the Red Velvet Cake Recipe:
pre-heat oven to 350

Ingredients:
1/2 cup butter (room temp butter)
1 1/2 cup sugar
2 eggs
2 oz. Red food coloring
2 oz. water
1 tbsp cocoa
1 cup buttermilk
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. vinegar
1 tsp. baking soda
2 1/2 cups of flour

Cream butter and sugar, add eggs and blend well. Make a paste of the cocoa and food and add to the butter mixture. add flour & salt. then addd buttermild, vanilla, water, soda and blend well. stir in vinegar. Bake 350 20-30 min, let cool. (i use 3 of the small cake pans)

Frosting:

6 tbsps. flour
1/2 cups of butter (room temp. butter)
1 1/2 cups milk
1 1/2 cups of sugar (regular sugar)
1 1/2 tbsp. vanilla

Mix flour and milk over low heat until thickened. stir constantly till cool.
Cream sugar, butter and vanilla until fluffy. add to above mixture and beat well for 10 minutes. No cheating on the 10 minute thing, i promise it will mess up the frosting.

* make sure butter is room temperature. do not melt it in the microwave etc. it will make for a very runny frosting.

kas baby

Brilliant_Rock
red velvet is...well... red velvet. I really have no idea how to describe it. It's not really a chocolate cake, even though there is a bit of cocoa powder in it. In all honesty, I don't really care for it, BUT, my southern beau goes crazy for it and I've had several requests for the recipe I use (see above post)

looooove the cream cheese frosting though :devil:

Lanie

Brilliant_Rock
Is it true that it's just chocolate cake with red food coloring, and different icing? I've always heard that but didn't know if it was true.

Red velvet is soooooooo good! Maybe I'll make one myself!

kas baby

Brilliant_Rock
the recipes usually differ. sometimes a little cocoa, sometimes a lot. So, it's really hard to say...

maybe I just need to do a bit more research :read: :confused:

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Would it work to leave out the food colouring and substitute some plain liquid for it? I try to avoid unnecessary chemicals in food.

kas baby

Brilliant_Rock
some people use beet juice instead of food coloring

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I prefer this recipe. I like the buttermilk and the vinegar in it. I tend to not like super sweet items though.

I also use The Culinary Institute of America's cream cheese frosting (butter, cream cheese and powdered sugar, these HAVE to be room temperature), I don't have access to my textbooks (we're moving in a couple of weeks and it's packed in a box) but I imagine it's on the net somewhere. I can't remember the proportions off the top of my head.

Lady Disdain, the red food coloring seems to lend it's own flavor to it.

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
To me, there is nothing remarkable about the cake part, but the cream cheese frosting is life changing.

TristanC

Brilliant_Rock
You people are all gems, just like the shinies that you all go crazy for. :))

BAKE OFF time!

Thanks to all the contributors, extra thanks to those who shared their own little 'secret' recipes.

Yes, I definitely plan on a bake trial, before the actual birthday cake is done. Some of my family are gonna get a lot of red velvet trial cakes. Muahaha.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results