shape
carat
color
clarity

Does a flat top court ring have a vertical edge/sides to it?

Tartansparkles

Brilliant_Rock
I was with the jeweller today deciding on the band/shank for my ring. I was delighted with the way the design was going and that what I’m asking for should be doable (from stock settings). It will be a 4mm band with a flat top. The band will be yellow gold with a satin finish on the top and shiny interior. The 9mm stone will be set in a white gold semi bezel. (My fingers are small, I1/2 or maybe a 5).

I was so pleased that I’d been able to tick the 4mm and flat band options that when he mentioned a comfort setting for the interior of the band I agreed but now I’m in panic – will the flat top comfort setting give the chunky look I’m after? Does the ‘comfort interior’ come all the way to the flat top or will it have a vertical edge/sides to it? Once the ring is on my finger, will I even see the edge. I’m worried that the roundness of the comfort setting will blend into the flat top and lose some of the solid feel/look.

We also didn’t discuss the weight of the band. I wear my gran’s art déco wedding ring which is 1mm deep. I read that medium weight rings are 1.7mm – is this what I should aim for, keeping in mind the ‘chunky’ look that I want. Or will the 1.7mm look odd against a 1mm band – or is 1.7mm the norm so that if I buy another ring in the future, the ring I am designing and the new ring will be a match for depth. I was so pleased with myself that after 3 trips to the jewellers were we were on the right track and now this ‘comfort setting’ detail has thrown me!

EC8

Shiny_Rock
You won’t see the comfort edge while wearing a ring but you will definitely feel/appreciate it as the inner band edge won’t dig into your finger.

Reactions: D&T

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Usually comfort-fit bands look just the same from the top/when on your finger as regular. I wouldn't worry.

For your last paragraph, do you mean the height of the band? I'm not sure what is usual. 1mm would be very, very low, but if the other ring you wear is only 1mm tall, it might be best to match. I don't think there is really a "norm" regarding that - all my rings are different heights and I have to try on different bands with them until I find ones that match.

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You won’t see the comfort edge while wearing a ring but you will definitely feel/appreciate it as the inner band edge won’t dig into your finger.
Definitely agree with this - my wedding band is not comfort fit (vintage piece so can’t be made to be either) and it’s cut into my finger a couple of times when I’ve caught my engagement ring on something (it sits forward of the wedding band). Comfort fit is your friend.
If you go too low on the height off the finger, it won’t look as chunky as you’re looking for but you do want some similarity of height for the set of this ring and your gran’s band. 1.8mm is still pretty low and should not be jarringly high compared to the band?

Tartansparkles

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks @EC8, @distracts and @foxinsox you have eased my mind over the comfort fit.

My gran's ring is nearly 100 years old, platinum and a hexagon shape - I don't know if it's the style that causes it to be so low, or possibly a bit of wear? I do love the 'barely there' look and soft sheen and about half the time wear it on its own but that's partly because it is so difficult to match. (I did have my gran's engagement rint too but I had that remade before I discovered PS, it was an unmitigated disaster but what's done is done).

I phoned the jeweller this morning and we are going to go with a thicker band because I realised that by trying to match the new ring to the wedding band, I am perpetuating the low band problem.

upload_2019-8-17_9-30-55.png

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your gran’s band is a really lovely ring. Are you making an engagement ring to wear with your gran’s ring as the wedding band or will you have another one too?

Tartansparkles

Brilliant_Rock
Your gran’s band is a really lovely ring. Are you making an engagement ring to wear with your gran’s ring as the wedding band or will you have another one too?

Thank you =)2 I am making a RHR that I will wear on my left hand but I am trying very hard with the design to make the ring not engagement-y (I know, that makes no sense whatsoever!).

I don't have an E-ring. DH and I didn't really get engaged, we had been together for 17 years when one said to the other 'are we doing this married thing or not' and a few months later we got married in my mum's living room. That was five years ago. We didn't have wedding rings either - we literally tied a knot (and kept the ribbon). A few months after the wedding I thought it might be nice to have a wedding ring and I knew my gran's band was in drawer, as it had been for 30 odd years. However the hexagon shape and engraving made it difficult to size and the first three jewellers I tried said it couldn't be done. But then the third jeweller had a change of heart, he figured since the ring was going from a size M down to an I1/2 it might be possible by removing one hexagon segment. So my small fingers saved the day =)2.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results