shape
carat
color
clarity

Does a darker sapphire mean lesser quality ?

cvalier26

Shiny_Rock
Hi :)
I am looking for tiny dainty sapphire studs, but after browsing shortly I come across quite dark stones. I would like them a little lighter, what do you think ?

PS : I am in Europe :)

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't know that "quality" is the right term. Color is overall a preference. The trade ideal color for sapphires - the most expensive - is darker than I like, but some people would consider them "better quality." I would always go for the color you like/want most, because that is what you will be happiest with.

I don't know where in Europe you could get sapphire studs. Are you open to buying from the US? What is your budget and what size were you looking for?

cvalier26

Shiny_Rock
Thank you for your reply :)
No buying in the US due to import taxes !
I am looking for a really small size, maybe .20. Budget around 3-400€

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s the saturation of color as well as the tone (lightness or darkness) that plays a role in sapphire quality, or most other gems for that matter.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with distracts who wrote, "I don't know that "quality" is the right term. Color is overall a preference."

I consider supply and demand.
Whatever is in high demand, and/or low supply, will cost more.
In my mind that doesn't always pencil out to be directly proportional to "quality".

In white diamonds D flawless is the most expensive, that doesn't make it higher quality.

You are not required to prefer what a majority prefers.
People vary.
If you like sapphires with hue, tone, or saturation that is not on the peak of the bell curve of demand, just go for it.

The majority of the world has black hair and speaks a Chinese language, that doesn't make that hairy color or languages higher quality.
More white cars are sold than any other color; that has nothing to do with the quality of cars.

voce

Ideal_Rock
I agree with distracts who wrote, "I don't know that "quality" is the right term. Color is overall a preference."

I consider supply and demand.
Whatever is in high demand, and/or low supply, will cost more.
In my mind that doesn't always pencil out to be directly proportional to "quality".

In white diamonds D flawless is the most expensive, that doesn't make it higher quality.

You are not required to prefer what a majority prefers.
People vary.
If you like sapphires with hue, tone, or saturation that is not on the peak of the bell curve of demand, just go for it.

The majority of the world has black hair and speaks a Chinese language, that doesn't make that hairy color or languages higher quality.
More white cars are sold than any other color; that has nothing to do with the quality of cars.
I would like a fact check on the bolded portion, but otherwise I agree wholeheartedly with the rest of the post.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would like a fact check on the bolded portion, but otherwise I agree wholeheartedly with the rest of the post.

If it's by native speakers, Mandarin has the most native speakers, and Spanish second-most. If it's by anyone who speaks it, English may slightly edge out Mandarin but not by much, and if you include other dialects, probably not at all. It's not the majority of the world, but it's a higher percentage than any other language.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
As with all things rarity and demand influence price. Dark toned sapphires are generally cheaper because the hue is less popular.
With blue sapphires the most desired and expensive tone is vivid blue, in cornflower, velvet or Royal colour. In a small size the price differential won’t be as much as in larger and unheated gems as the “rarity” factor quickly escalates as size increases.
Blue sapphires can be the lightest pastel blue to deep dark, virtually black blue so there’s something for everyone’s preference.
Quality in my opinion refers to factors other than colour because colour is a preference.
Quality is often linked to price so quality would include cut and finish, quality can be origin and treatment status. Quality can be linked to rarity so size can also be a factor.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think rather than looking for preset studs, you should inquire at a local jeweler if they can source a pair of sapphires in the color and size you want and set them for you.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
One man's coffee is another man's tea
Work out what shade of blue you like the best and then go shopping

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

voce, while my error in no way alters my post's argument, that was a good catch.
Sorry I was was sloppy with a detail. :(sad

I should have written, "English being the most-spoken language does not make it higher in quality."

Screen capture:

english.png

voce

Ideal_Rock
voce, while my error in no way alters my post's argument, that was a good catch.
Sorry I was was sloppy with a detail. :(sad

I should have written, "English being the most-spoken language does not make it higher in quality."

Screen capture:

english.png
I agree the careless error in no way alters your argument, which I agree with. It just seemed not right that you had said "the majority of the world", which technically to me means at least half of the world's 7 billion population, or more than 3.5 billion people. I'm surprised there's not more English speakers, and almost all those who speak Mandarin are native speakers, not Chinese as a second language. If the majority of the world did speak Chinese, whether Mandarin or Cantonese, that would be a bold turning point for Chinese soft power and influence.

I think it's a great thing that there's such a thing as diversity in the world, including in the various lovely shades of sapphire. :razz:

MissyBeaucoup

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Just another suggestion: I got tanzanite studs to save on costs. They are lovely and my friends thought they were sapphires. I think they are a higher grade of tanzanite because they are very blue, not violet. One source would be Mr. Moriarty at More Gems online.

Reactions: T L

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also wanted to note that many believe darker sapphires are more valuable because if how dark that sapphire is in the Kate/Diana ring.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results