shape
carat
color
clarity

Does a colored stone lover / collector need . . .

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
Does a colored stone lover / collector need a:

stone holder (those prong like things to hold and examine loose stones?

a 20x loupe? (I already have a 10x loupe but I''m thinking 20x also as I''m interested really seeing what is going on in there.)

If so, any recommendations on which and from where?

Thanks.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/12/2008 5:25:55 PM
Author:sonomacounty
Does a colored stone lover / collector need a:

stone holder (those prong like things to hold and examine loose stones?

a 20x loupe? (I already have a 10x loupe but I''m thinking 20x also as I''m interested really seeing what is going on in there.)

If so, any recommendations on which and from where?

Thanks.
- Better to use tweezers than the stone holders

- I stick to a really good quality x 10 - if you want more magnification than that I''d go for a microscope.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
No stone holder -- the stone may be too soft and get nicked. If you''re not used to the tweezers, get one that locks in place.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
I really want tweezers! Any recs on where is best to pick up a pair?

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
No ideas on non UK places to get them, but I like the black ones with the grooves at the ends.

Black is better as you don''t get reflections into the stone. Same reason why having a black casing on your loupe is important.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/12/2008 8:18:13 PM
Author: icekid
I really want tweezers! Any recs on where is best to pick up a pair?
www.kassoy.com The actual store scares me. You have to climb up a narrow flight of stairs in a dilapidated building.

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
Thanks all.

Any recommendations on a microscope? Hopefully not too expensive. With the tweezers, black but fine, medium or broad point?

Again, thanks.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Whatever suits you as far as the tweezers are concerned.

No point in buying a super-cheap microscope. Better to save and buy a decent one if you are planning to go into that kind of depth.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Personally, I am terrible with tweezers. I prefer to use cotton gloves (I have two pairs - white and black) to handle stones.

Of course, the fact that I have sent a gem or two flying contributes to my avoidance of tweezers. Fortunately, the stones were neither delicate nor expensive and all survived their flight.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/13/2008 4:47:08 AM
Author: sonomacounty
Thanks all.

Any recommendations on a microscope? Hopefully not too expensive. With the tweezers, black but fine, medium or broad point?

Again, thanks.
I like medium locking for non-square shapes...i dont like to use locking tweezers on princess cuts because of the threat of chipping so i use non-locking with this shape...and I like to handle soft or organic gems...opals,amber,turquiose,pearls,coral,emeralds,tanzinite,onyx ect...with my finger tips.I use only 10x magnification.

Proteus

Shiny_Rock
If you have any gems of hardness under 7, I''d suggest getting a pair of titanium tweezers for handling them. Titanium is not as hard as stainless steel, and I find that it is less prone to scratching softer gems (not that it won''t scratch, it just won''t so easily...) Some exotic stones can be quite soft, and I agree that stone holders can be scratchy. Some alloys of stainless are very hard, I have actually seen stainless steel tweezers put fine scratches on a synthetic spinel.

20x loupes are difficult to use, they have a very short focal range. Lighting can be annoying as well when using them. I agree with everyone''s suggestions of using a microscope for higher powered examination. It''ll be a lot easier.

ptorraca

Rough_Rock
If you''re going to collect gems, tweezers are a must. Tony is right about the titanium tweezers -- you will pay more for them though, but I find them much nicer to use than the less expensive stainless ones. Avoid the locking tweezers -- though they provide some security, it is possible (and probable) to lock them too tightly and chip the stone.

It will take a little practice to use tweezers well -- this sounds odd now, but you''ll find yourself dropping stones until you get used to the tool. Focus on using as little hand pressure as possible without dropping the stone. After awhile it''ll come naturally.

If you''re going to be a serious collector, get a microscope. Don''t skimp on it. Better optics are worth the investment. Ideally, you''ll want a scope set up for gem work. Darkfield lighting is a must. If possible, get some experience using a gem microscope before you seriously look into buying one. You''ll understand better what you''re shopping for. Larger showrooms often have a couple on display -- sometimes local jewelers have one or two you can try.

You already have a 10x loupe and that''s great -- but if it''s not fully corrected for both spherical and chromatic aberration, you''ll need to get a better one. The Baush & Lomb Hastings triplet is pretty much the defacto standard and worth the money. I was pleasantly surprised by the $15-$20 Belomo 10x -- the case is weak, but the optics are fantastic & it has a wider field of view than the B&L. (I got my first on on eBay, but I think the seller has a more regular website now.) I use the Belomo in my shop, but travel with the B&L because it''s smaller.

I didn''t see a good lint-free gem cloth mentioned above -- if you''re using a loupe and/or a scope. The Svelty cloth is a good commercial option. But there are other options -- old, well-worn t-shirts are surprisingly lint free (you know, the t-shirt you still like, but probably should made into a rag).

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
Thanks all, so very much. I really appreciate it.

Mr. Torraca - I hear you do some fantastic cutting, btw.

Sonoma

(more large faceted stones, please)

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Totally ditto the Belomo loupe - I LOVE mine. Again, like the tweezers, I prefer a black casing which the Belomo comes with.

I''ve never used locking tweezers - I''m worried about chips - so, I have a fairly thick, soft cloth that I got from Gem-A which I put down before getting the stones out in case I drop them.

For cleaning stones, I use microfibre lense clothes, or those white cotton gloves.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results