shape
carat
color
clarity

DODAQ diamond exchange

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
DODAQ is a relatively new company in Belgium that is promoting themselves as ‘the only marketplace to invest in diamonds’.
It’s discussed off and on in this rather long and convoluted thread but I think it’s an important enough topic that it deserves it’s own thread.

Their program has 4 interesting components to me.

Is it a viable place to sell diamonds?
Is it a viable place to buy diamonds?
Is this a viable investment opportunity?
Is it likely to be successful?

Is it a viable place to sell?

In the case of selling, the answer is clearly NO for those who are not members of the trade. Here’s the first requirement they impose on sellers:

All issuers (those able to send diamonds to the DODAQ vault) must be members of the World Federation of Diamond Bourses (WFDB).

Individuals are simply not eligible as sellers unless they don’t take delivery and leave their purchases in the DODAQ vault in Belgium. For all but the participating manufacturers this is a purely financial transaction.

Is it a viable place to buy?

As a consumer interested in taking possession, NO. It’s a blind transaction where you can’t see or inspect the stone, where the terms of sale are cash in advance and where there is no recourse if you are unhappy with the results. The sellers are aware of all of the relevant facts and the buyers are not. This is an enormous and terribly important imbalance. For those living outside of Belgium it’s aggravated by the difficulties associated with engaging international business. Online diamonds is a large and highly competitive business and there are hundreds of dealers that offer far better and safer buying opportunities.

For a dealer wishing to buy diamonds for resale, I would still say no, largely for the same reasons. The buyer is required to rely on incomplete information in a no recourse cash transaction. At a low enough price, of course, I would expect the dealers to be willing to take the risk and I haven’t looked up the prices but I see no reason to expect them to be low enough to entice dealers to be interested in this as a source of merchandise. The risks are simply too high for what I would expect to be the savings in costs.

Is this a viable investment opportunity?

In my opinion, no. Without a pool of buyers willing to take delivery and then come back for more they have nothing to offer potential sellers in exchange for tying up their inventory (goods for sale must be shipped to Belgium and therefore be unavailable for sale through their regular channels) and in exchange for the ‘vaulting’ fees. The only reason I can see why a seller would want to include stones is if they are trying to move goods where they couldn’t do better elsewhere using their existing channels. Again, the ONLY people who can add stones are existing and large diamond dealers and I can’t think of much of anyone who would benefit from buying this way. This is drastically different from any other commodity exchange where the end of the process is some end user who takes delivery and presumably has need or want for the goods.

Is it likely to be successful?

In my opinion, no. Whether this is a problem for 'investors' with stones in their vault if the house of cards collapses would be a matter for Belgian law but, personally, I would be concerned.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
The biggest problem I see is given the wide range in prices for different stones with the same lab report grades is how do you figure the value at any given time?
If you own lets say 5% of 10000 diamonds what is your investment worth?

Can someone give me the % variation in price per ct between gia EX 1.0 to 1.10 ct for G/vs2 at this time?
PS search doesn't let me separate out EX does one of the commercial databases?

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Using the PS search I can do so for AGS ideal only stones.
Round shape, AGS0, 1.01–1.1 cts, G color, VS2 clarity, 58.7–62.3% depth, 53–58% table, $100–100000, AGS certified
Then ignore the non-ideal grades.

Price per CT
lowest $5881
highest: $7770

So lets say I have 10000 stones and 12000cts all AGS0 that fit the above.
The value is between: $70572000 and $93240000
That is a $22,668,000 dollars or a hair over 23% difference and the range in GIA EX will be more.

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Like I said..., "more dreamers"....
11.gif

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/more-dreamers.105926/

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results