shape
carat
color
clarity

Documents to receive with diamond purchase??

Chaosin1983

Rough_Rock
Hello all, I have finally decided on a setting and a stone and I will be purchasing this week, what sort of documents should I receive/require with my diamond purchase??

Thank you,

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The sales receipt and GIA or AGS grading report is all that is required. Some vendors include a valuation for insurance purposes, but those are usually inflated in value so I never use them.

Chaosin1983

Rough_Rock
What about Lifetime Guarantee?? Idealscope, ASET and such images?

qwedsy

Rough_Rock
By the way: Should you always request for the original grading report, or is a hard copy as good? Is there any difference whether you have the original or not? I was informed that I am only going to receive a hard copy from my (PS reputable) vendor.

Diamond_Hawk

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
You should receive the original grading report. It's good to also document stated benefits/guarantees, whether they come in the box or are just printed from a website. There may be an appraisal provided, although I am with diamondseeker in that I would use the sales-receipt instead of some inflated feel-good insurance appraisal.

Speaking of insurance, I suggest to investigate coverage. Some homeowners policies have high deductibles and only insure replacement of "like kind" according to their brokers. That means if you did a lot of work to find a top performing diamond they may only see "GIA EX" (or whatever) and source a generic one of near weight, color, clarity from their internal jewelers. If it's a poor policy you might not even get a diamond with the same lab's report. For those who you are buying from a diamond-brand you have an added layer of protection, as "like kind" implies sourcing from the same brand. But I'd check. And I'd keep all documents, including a home-computer-printout of idealscope, asset, etc, in a safety deposit box or similar secure situation.

If you use an independent appraiser, not one from the seller but one you hired yourself, that's a good document for insurance and storage as well.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Diamond_Hawk|1398724711|3662194 said:
If you use an independent appraiser, not one from the seller but one you hired yourself, that's a good document for insurance and storage as well.

Sorry, small nit here. Independent isn't one hired by you only. It is an appraiser that is not part of a retail jewelry establishment. An appraiser from another jewelry store has incentive to lie and get you to doubt your purchase so you can come to their store.

Diamond_Hawk

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Gypsy|1398751037|3662454 said:
Diamond_Hawk|1398724711|3662194 said:

Sorry, small nit here. Independent isn't one hired by you only. It is an appraiser that is not part of a retail jewelry establishment. An appraiser from another jewelry store has incentive to lie and get you to doubt your purchase so you can come to their store.

Of course.

My use of "Independent Appraiser" was to indicate 'independent' - meaning no dependency on another store or professional operation of any kind.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results