shape
carat
color
clarity

do you use the friend and foes function?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
:))

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
No.....I think they're ridiculous, to be honest. It seems like that should be unnecessary in a group of adults.

For me, PS is a place to derive value from what speaks to me and simply bypass the rest.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
aljdewey|1344612931|3249143 said:
No.....I think they're ridiculous, to be honest. It seems like that should be unnecessary in a group of adults.

For me, PS is a place to derive value from what speaks to me and simply bypass the rest.

Ditto. To me it's the childish equivalent of sticking your fingers in your ears, closing your eyes, and sticking your tongue out.

But I guess some adults are like children and can't keep their emotional reactions in check and therefore need the ignore button. :tongue:

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
No. I haven't been in high school for over 40 years, and the friend and foe functions are just too reminiscent of junior high and high school.

ABKIS

Shiny_Rock
Premium
......what's a friend or foe function? :confused: :confused:

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock
Nope,

I have a fond respect for everyone here. ::) I don't take internet remarks personally.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ABKIS|1344613984|3249154 said:
......what's a friend or foe function? :confused: :confused:

On other fora it's called the Ignore function.
Instead of seeing what the person posted you just see one line telling you they posted something and you can click a button to read it.

I use the function, but do not think of anyone as a foe, just someone who has demonstrated that IMHO they do more harm than good.
I wish they'd change the name of the function to Ignore.
Depending on the context of the thread and how it's going I may more may not click to read what Person X says.

Sure I could just skip over what person X says (which could be called childish-fingers in ears too) but this feature is the same thing and saves space.

To use it click on the tab for My Pages near the top right corner.
Then select My Account.
Then select Friends & Foes and type in the name of Person X.

Another wonderful thing we are all free to do is simply not respond to certain type of comments or attitudes.
This keeps the peace, keeps Ella happy, and actually is a statement in and of itself.

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
I never even knew it existed. :::shrugs::::

I agree with others who say that one should take the good with the bad and act like adults. That said, to each their own. Besides, isn't that why we have the :roll: ?

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
No, I don't see the point of them.

To announce that you're going to ignore someone seems a bit dramatic.

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
No, I didn't even know it existed. I still won't because I really don't care enough. And I don't really give a crap if someone else uses it.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Zoe|1344620032|3249235 said:

The function itself does not announce anything. It just hides the "foe"'s post from you seeing it.

I use it. Not sure what the friend function does, but I have a few people on there anyway.

I also have someone on the foe function, but it's because they make me uncomfortable, and they seem to follow me around sometimes, and I would just rather not deal with it or be exposed to it.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
FrekeChild|1344626048|3249294 said:

The function itself does not announce anything. It just hides the "foe"'s post from you seeing it.

I use it. Not sure what the friend function does, but I have a few people on there anyway.

I also have someone on the foe function, but it's because they make me uncomfortable, and they seem to follow me around sometimes, and I would just rather not deal with it or be exposed to it.

Sorry, that was in reference to something TGal said above but I forgot to quote her. I was also referencing something Kenny said in another thread. I should have been more clear. I know the foe function doesn't announce anything.

armywife13

Ideal_Rock
Nope, I have not found the need or want to use it. I agree with others, I find it very reminicent of high school and I definitely don't want to go back to that mentality.

ieatbugs

Shiny_Rock
No, this forum is well moderated enough that there aren't blatant trolls or spammers who really interfere with being able to read or find threads.

However, I wish it was more intuitively designed - I didn't even KNOW those were functions, and there's lots of features that I can't find, or I expect should exist that just don't seem to.

Speaking of which, is there any form of private messaging available on here?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ieatbugs|1344630021|3249329 said:
no,used to but not anymore.

ieatbugs

Shiny_Rock
Dancing Fire|1344633064|3249354 said:

Why'd they get rid of it?

Also, I really wish there was an easier way to see if threads you were commenting on have been updated. It's like all weird views or reading timestamps...they should just have a different background color for the rows that have new comments since you've last read them. Otherwise I'm trying to rememebr who the last person who commented on it was and what time they commented, or just refreshing the weird dashboard thing

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Yeah, scumbag vendors were PM'ing posters who posted about their diamond shopping.

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It would take to long to list all my friends....

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
I do. I had to because one poster was just driving me nuts so I put them on the list. I can still view their posts if I want but I have to click on a link to explain their post. I do see their stuff quoted in other posts, though. But I found my stress level while reading PS went down significantly. :twirl:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
We have a friends and foes? Boy! Where was that when Beau was around? She's the only one I've ever just wanted to outright block, the woman drove me to distraction. But short of that... I'm good.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
ieatbugs|1344633245|3249355 said:
Also, I really wish there was an easier way to see if threads you were commenting on have been updated. It's like all weird views or reading timestamps...they should just have a different background color for the rows that have new comments since you've last read them. Otherwise I'm trying to rememebr who the last person who commented on it was and what time they commented, or just refreshing the weird dashboard thing

If you look at the board index, just to the left of a thread title, there will be a red square with a little black square superimposed next to some of the threads. That indicated that there are unread posts. If you click that icon, it will take you straight to the first unread post.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Gypsy|1344639678|3249436 said:
We have a friends and foes? Boy! Where was that when Beau was around? She's the only one I've ever just wanted to outright block, the woman drove me to distraction. But short of that... I'm good.

Who was Beau? That is one bit of PS drama I missed.

I confess I have been tempted to use the Foe option once or twice, when a couple of posters really got to me.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Gypsy|1344639678|3249436 said:

Who was Beau? That is one bit of PS drama I missed.

I confess I have been tempted to use the Foe option once or twice, when a couple of posters really got to me.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nah, it's not worth the bother IMO. I can just as easily scroll past a poster.

justginger

Ideal_Rock
I knew the option was around here somewhere, but there is no one on PS that actually bothers me enough to use it. It's too much effort for not enough reward. :wink2:

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Laila619|1344657075|3249596 said:
Nah, it's not worth the bother IMO. I can just as easily scroll past a poster.

This.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

100% agree. Announcing the fact that you are going to put someone on ignore seems like a cry for attention (look at me look at me) and immature.
(Freke, someone on PS recently posted they were putting someone on ignore (in another thread) and that is what Zoe and I are referring to).

Plus, I (for the most part) enjoy different points of view even if I don't agree with them and if I find any posts exasperating/aggravating/upsetting I can choose to move on and not respond.

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lol @ Gypsy.

No, I've never used it. I just skip over if there is something I don't want to read. But honestly, there really isn't anyone that bigs me here...at the moment anyway :naughty:

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock
ieatbugs|1344633245|3249355 said:

Why'd they get rid of it?

I've requested an option to see all threads you've posted on with new posts, but to no avail. Maybe I'll go suggest it again!

However, threads with new posts have a little red and black box to the left of the title, and if you've posted on that thread there is a star in the blue box on the far left.

And I don't use either the friend or foe function. To be honest, I read for the people who annoy me just as much as I read for the people I like!

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
No way. What am I? Twelve?

I think it's healthy for me to hear contrary opinions, and to learn how to handle criticism.

The out and out crazies I just ignore :cheeky:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results