Votes: 68 94.4%
  • Other, please explain

Votes: 2 2.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another one of my favorites is "all the sudden"....I hear it all the time on TV. Where do people come up with this stuff?

My husband drives me bonkers with "me and him" are going to the store. I can't even say anything about it anymore as in 16 yrs, he's still doing it. He has two siblings that are TEACHERS and they do it too.
Teachers with bad grammars?

SandyinAnaheim

Brilliant_Rock
Teachers with bad grammars?

Yes! One is a HS chemistry teacher and the other is a tenured university psychology professor. It's embarrassing how poor their grammar is...

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This drives me crazy too. Could of, should of, would of make no sense at all. It’s amazing how many native speakers of English seem to think those terms are correct.

I'm from the South, so I get it when it sounds like that's what is being said... it's when people WRITE IT OUT that way that bugs me. *cringe*

Maria D

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Language evolves and irregardless may be the correct form one day, who knows.

You've probably seen a sign like this: 1594483625593.png

Flammable wasn't always a word. Substances that are easily set on fire were said to be "inflammable" (from the word inflame) as opposed to "non-inflammable." But "inflammable" was too confusing for people who mistook the prefix "in" for "un" so now we have flammable as accepted usage.

I find language and grammar fascinating. In my next life I'm going to study linguistics.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results