• Never, but am considering it

Votes: 5 25.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wikisnip:
"A virtual private network (VPN) provides privacy, anonymity and security to users by creating a private network connection across a public network connection."

If you use one, what are your experiences?
Is it reliable?

Does is slow things down?
Any other downsides?
Is yours one of the free ones or paid ones - either way which would you recommend?

If you care to reveal ... what exactly is the main reason you use one?
I assume we have no serial murderers here, or drug dealers who want to hide their evil deeds from prying eyes.
Is it to just fight the dark side of personal data collection by creepy entities like FB apple and Google etc.?

Do you change the settings to simulate being in, say, country X to country Y to gain access to content in country Y?
Which VPN(s) did you have poor or good experience with?
How did you pick yours?
Have you run into websites that deny you access because it can tell you're using a VPN?

Last edited:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
A what ? :lol:
It sounds like something you might need down at the testing station to get your car a warrant :lol:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a friend who uses Proton Mail and they offer VPNs. I am thinking about it.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I use a VPN on both sides of my work. No choice not to. Both are Cisco products.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
To connect to clients networks every once in a while. Used to be daily.
otherwise no. If i was using the net from sources not in my control like coffee shops I would use one to keep casual snoopers out. Nothing can stop a pro specificaly targeting someone. VPN advertising is a lot of fud mixed with some truth.
Do not think a vpn will shield you from law enforcement tracking.
Many people are sitting in jail because they thought that.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I use one for work, and I honestly dont understand it fully lol. I do find it slower. It has options for canada and us, and I use whichever one seems to work at the time, so I get ads/weather for various places. I had to check which one it is, and mine is also a Cisco. I don't use it for any of your reasons (getting access to US specific info for example). I've never had any websites deny me access because of it that I recall.

ETA - I just checked, and mine is pinging from Kansas. I wish it was actually +21C here like it says on google weather.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For work - yes.
For non-work - no. I do proxy all my interwebz traffic through my own home lab but I don't need a full blown VPN for that.

"A virtual private network (VPN) provides privacy, anonymity and security to users by creating a private network connection across a public network connection."
This is the sort of roundabout description that we software people are famed for! If a person doesn't know how a network works or what a network connection is, how on earth should he extrapolate the virtues of a virtual private network connection? :rolleyes: Sorry folks. Here's a better explanation from Cisco (leader in the computer networking industry): https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/security/vpn-endpoint-security-clients/what-is-vpn.html

GoldenTouch

Shiny_Rock
I do it comes with Norton which I run in all my devices including my phone

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Greg uses it at work.
We don't use it at home.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
VPN is required for work. Home use, no.

Luce

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
VPN is required for work. I don’t use it for home.

Mekp

Shiny_Rock
I use one for work. Otherwise, no.

Elizabeth35

Brilliant_Rock
For work I used a VPN when working remotely.
Looking into getting one now for travel, for increased security and so we can access Netflix and Amazon Prime when out of the country.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I use one for work and it is slower.

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
not on my personal computer but yeah I do on my work computer

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Used to use Viscosity. That was when I was working with a web dev company and the owner insisted. I don’t personally use a VPN anymore.

lol when I saw proton mail mentioned it reminded me of married men who want secret email accounts so they can cheat ahem TRY to cheat without getting caught.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have to use the VPN for working remotely. I don't use one for my personal computer.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results