carat
color
clarity

Do you trust pre-loved diamond sellers?

Do you trust pre-loved diamond sellers?

• Total voters

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
I was just thinking about how there are a lot of fake Cartier love bracelets and purses out there, and that there's a lot of risk buying pre-loved.

Do you feel that way about diamonds? Do you trust the seller that it's not a lab diamond, moissonite, topaz, CZ, or stimulant? Or a lower spec? I would be weary and therefore I don't buy any diamonds except directly from reputable retailers.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’ve been buying well on eBay from years now. I haven’t been ripped off or “conned” but I exercise care and caution regarding what I buy and from whom I buy it.
I would not even try and buy any Cartier or Tiffany pieces pre loved unless it came from an authenticated site. There are soooo many fakes out there. They even fake the receipts and shopping bag! Same for designer bags! Except buying them from Japan. In Japan it is a serious crime to sell counterfeit items ie jail time.
The type of preloved jewellery I buy is vintage or older. I search out higher carat gold or platinum. These are more likely to contain what they say. Provided the photos are clear and plentiful and the seller has a good track record it’s usually safe.
But what I prefer to look for on eBay is the misdescribed items in my favour. Or items that no one else seems interested in. I’m only spending low hundreds so these are never “big ticket“ items, I buy for the chance of a score without overspending. If it’s nothing special, that’s ok, I buy what I like for a fair price.

meesmom

Brilliant_Rock
I agree, it depends on who it is...i used to buy a LOT of preowned jewelry, for myself and others. I found that private sellers were, on average, a lot more honest about the item. Pawn shops were, on average, the worst. Thats not to say they all were one way or another, though. I did a lot of research and used my own eyes to decide. I agree on one thing tho, the love bracelet is copied wayyy to often (and to well!!) for me to even attempt shopping pre-owned for one.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was going to vote yes, because I mostly buy secondhand. But if I get technical, I buy something and take it directly to the independent appraiser I have to verify facts. I try to be careful about non-returnable items, but I've only had one problem in many purchases and they took it back anyway.

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
Trust but verify, exactly as @Rfisher said.

I’ve both bought and sold second hand, but I won’t buy unless there’s a good return policy, and I always extend a good return policy for things I sell, too, because honest people sometimes make honest mistakes and no buyer should feel stuck with something that doesn’t make them happy.

Also, I never buy designer items, because there are so many fakes.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It depends on your objectives. Those are fine companies, but even fine companies make mistakes. Even fine companies sometimes omit details in the sales presentation. Their job is to SELL stuff, not to tell the proverbial whole truth and nothing but the truth. Yes, I have had clients send things back to both of those companies, and most of the other regular vendors here after getting things inspected.

xxxxxx

Brilliant_Rock
My answer is it depends.
mmd makes it trickier.

Do you mean trickier for the customer to get an mmd instead of a mined diamond, he or she is paying for?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Honest ones, yes.
Dishonest ones, no.

The problem is, it's not alway easy to know who is which.

So I couldn't vote in your poll, since it only has a yes and a no vote for all sellers.

stonehunter20

Shiny_Rock
it's a very personal choice. as for me, i dont trust anything "pre-loved" because there is no way for me to verify or whatsoever. i only buy from stores and reputable vendors. i never bought anything second hand in my life btw.

MWM

Rough_Rock
Trade
I have received the wrong diamond from vendor on behalf of a client. After many years in this line of work, I have a sense of what makes sense regarding trusted vendors but I'll reach out to a well regarded appraiser on behalf of the client if I have any doubts at all. CYA and advocate for the client. If it seems worth the effort, it is worth the effort. Win, Win.

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
one of my prized possessions my 5 stone came from Ebay from a seller I did not know...so I guess I do trust some of them...I did have the ring appraised within the return period to make sure it was legitimate, the stats came back different from the "certificate" they had, however being a pricescope member I knew they were likely bogus and I was still very happy the purchase.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results