shape
carat
color
clarity

Do you think these white sapphires are natural?

Lazybeesknees

Rough_Rock
I bought two sapphires from a store on eBay called BrilliantSolitaires and was assured they were naturally mined white sapphires. They are both Emerald cut, but one is 11x9mm, 6 carats and the other is 14x10mm, 9.70 carats. The seller also noted that they were HPHT treated. I went and got them inspected because they cost less than $200 in total. The lady told me they both were recognized as sapphires, but could not tell me whether or not they were natural or synthetic. I was hoping to get the larger one re-cut because the window is quite large, but I'm not sure it's worth the money. What do you think?

_3532.jpeg

_1172.png

_3533.jpeg

_3534.jpeg

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What was meant by having them "inspected" please?

I am no expert, however, in order to differentiate natural from synthetics, I believe one can only tell by using very high magnification under a microscope, to look for growth lines, natural or synthetic flaws etc...

Hopefully the experts will come alone soon to offer their advice.

DK :))

Lazybeesknees

Rough_Rock
A gemologist looked at them at a jewelry show and did a gem ID I believe.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've heard that it's quite common for eBay sellers to sell synthetic sapphires as HPHT. The tip off is the price of $10/ct.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Both natural and synthetic Sapphires will have the same refractive index, therefore RI alone is insufficient to differentiate the two.

DK :))

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results