shape
carat
color
clarity

Do you think these are too small?

girlyglam

Shiny_Rock
A few months ago, I bought pearls for bridesmaids gifts from Pearllunar. They were advertised at 6.8-8mm, but I think they're actually more like 6-7mm. I'm concerned that they are too small for my girls. They are all early 30's or late 20's, and none of them (as far as I know) own a strand of pearls. I'm not sure if the size of the ones I bought truly are too small or if I just think that because my own everyday pearls are 8-8.5mm and I've just gotten used to looking at that size.

Here are the pearls I got the girls:
small_pearls.jpg

All the girls are short-average height (I think the tallest might be 5'5" or so); 3 out of 4 are slim to average build while one is of a bigger build. What do you think...are these two small for a first strand for someone in their late 20's/early 30's?

This is what I usually wear and what I'm used to seeing:
larger_pearls.jpg

I took a shot wearing the both together, and the smaller ones seem SO small to me!
both_3.jpg

Anyway, I feel like I need an outside perspective on this. Are the pearls I got my bridesmaids really so ridiculously small or am I just too used to seeing bigger pearls? I'm of two minds...part me me thinks I should bite the bullet and get new strands for the girls...something in the 7-8mm range. But the other part of me thinks that maybe it's not as bad as I think it is? I am well past the return period on the strands I already bought (and quite frankly, I wouldn't have wanted to deal with shipping them back to China anyway), so I'm kind of stuck with them. I would use them for future gifts for people, though off the top of my head, I can only think of one or two people I would give a strand to. I also don't REALLY want to spend the money on 4 new strands of pearls...but, I also don't want to give a gift that seems cheap/embarrassing/etc, so I would do it if that's what it comes down to. I love my bridesmaids, and I want them I appreciate them. If it matters at all, I'm also planning on getting them all pearl studs, getting my MOH a pearl bracelet as well, and paying for all my girls to get their hair done. So, with all of that being said, are these OK or should I bite the bullet for bigger pearls?

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think they look just fine! You have gotten used to seeing larger pearls.

When studs are worn with a strand, the overall effect seems nicer when the studs are larger than (or at least not smaller than) the strand. If you can get the studs no smaller than 7.5-8m they will look good together. Also 7.5-8mm is great for people who are on the phone a lot. They don't protrude a lot. I'm wearing my 7.5-8mm studs right now in fact. =)

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I too believe they are fine for a first strand of pearls.

Afterall, bridesmaids are not supposed to outshine the bride!

DK :))

Q

Queenie60

They're just fine - and what a generous gift for your bridesmaids. Congratulations! :wavey:

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock
I love small pearls, they are so delicate and feminine.

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
I also don't want to give a gift that seems cheap/embarrassing/etc

Never. A strand of pearls is always a lovely gift, and I think the strand in your photo is very pretty.

Oh, the stories I could tell about 'cheap' bridesmaid gifts ... I would have loved some pearls!

girlyglam

Shiny_Rock
Thank you all! I feel much better about this! :D

pearlsngems|1466718931|4047285 said:
I think they look just fine! You have gotten used to seeing larger pearls.

When studs are worn with a strand, the overall effect seems nicer when the studs are larger than (or at least not smaller than) the strand. If you can get the studs no smaller than 7.5-8m they will look good together. Also 7.5-8mm is great for people who are on the phone a lot. They don't protrude a lot. I'm wearing my 7.5-8mm studs right now in fact. =)

Pearsngems, thanks so much for that advice! I will definitely be getting them studs bigger than the strand. Any thoughts on the size of pearls for the bracelet for my MOH? Should they be the same size as the strand or bigger? Or does it not really matter?

16ocean

Brilliant_Rock
ennui|1466741674|4047406 said:
I also don't want to give a gift that seems cheap/embarrassing/etc

Never. A strand of pearls is always a lovely gift, and I think the strand in your photo is very pretty.

Oh, the stories I could tell about 'cheap' bridesmaid gifts ... I would have loved some pearls!

exactly!

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
girlyglam|1466777703|4047492 said:
Pearsngems, thanks so much for that advice! I will definitely be getting them studs bigger than the strand. Any thoughts on the size of pearls for the bracelet for my MOH? Should they be the same size as the strand or bigger? Or does it not really matter?

I tend not to wear bracelets as they annoy me, so I'm not the one to ask about that.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Personally I like the smaller pearls, especially for young women. They are classy and can still be worn everyday. To my eye it is more believable that small pearls are real and the large ones are fake. Now, of course, if you follow PS you'll know that the large ones are affordable and look beautiful and are not fake. But since this could be the first nice piece of jewelry in the gal's jewelry box, you have picked out a perfect place to start.

Either necklace would be a lovely gift!

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Uh-oh, this sounds like bridal jitters setting in! :p

To be honest, it's been very rare for me to ever receive gift jewelry that I wore much or kept for long. Our tastes are all so individual that you could easily buy quite large, top quality pearls for your bridesmaids, at several hundred dollars per strand, and *still* have it just not be to their individual tastes.

Therefore, I wouldn't worry about the pearls being too small. It's certainly a reasonable, thoughtful choice, not "embarrassing" in any way, and absolutely fine.

With the MOH bracelet, in the same way, even if you spent a thousand dollars on that, it could still easily just not be something she'd prefer. So, I would get the smaller pearls and not spend too much.

I wear a lot of pearl bracelets and prefer smaller pearls because I don't like anything chunky on my wrists, and also smaller pearls are less likely to get banged into things.

Remember, these ladies will be pleased to get just a token of your appreciation and a keepsake from your wedding. I'm sure they don't want you ruining your budget over it! :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results