shape
carat
color
clarity

Do you think Princess studs are old fashioned?

Buttercookies

Brilliant_Rock
After debating and searching, I finally settled on 1ctw I VS2 Princess stud.

After trying them on, I started thinking if I should have gone with Round Brilliant.

Do you think thee are too old fashioned? Should I invest my money in getting RB instead?
E99A9D83-87F5-42B1-96CF-780BCBB76501.jpeg 542D68AC-F5E0-4BE6-8A98-07A51ECD2218.jpeg FCF0B705-4F20-48FC-B290-4D8C3EE5280B.jpeg

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I too love the Princess shape, it’s different. Round brilliants are lovely of course but they are everywhere on everyone.
The shape is somewhat out of fashion, but fashion changes all the time. Give it another 5 years or so and you’ll be On Trend again. Oval cuts are now all the rage in engagement rings (thanks Meghan) and the unique Marquis cut is also showing a resurgence in popularity.
Buy what you love the look of.

I don’t think one shape is inherently better than the other. Personally, I’m not a fan of princess cuts, but I don’t think rounds are better in any way. Studs are classic regardless of the shape, they’re a jewelry staple and will provide you the beauty and sparkle that just goes with everything and for everyone.

My own studs are MRBs, but if I went back and did it again I’d probably get ovals instead so I have something a bit different from everyone else.

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
I would get what you like but since youre asking I do think they're outdated and now I can only picture them being worn by rappers or "Karens".

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes they look dated to me. But even if not dated I prefer rounds. However get whatever makes your heart sing.

Reactions: caf

Volute

Rough_Rock
Ask yourself if you would love them even if they're dated. If the answer is yes, then go for it! The only other consideration I can think of is that it's easier to set rounds in different ways so maybe ask yourself if you like changing settings every x years?

I don't believe any single item dates a person. It's the entire ensemble and how it's worn.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have 1.ctTW princess cut studs from Blue Nile and I love them.. My SIL has a 2ctw princess engagement ring and it's really spectacular.. so someone said above and it's true, do you like them? I will say I also had 1.00ct MRB studs but I gifted them to my DIL when she had my granddaughter as my husband gifted them to me when my son was born.. sort of trying for keeping the tradition alive, who knows.. I have willed my princess studs to my younger son when I die. :)

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, dated.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
But if you really love them be a trend setter not a follower =)2

In saying that i am in the process of selling most of my gold earings for scrap, not so much because they are dated, which they are, but just because i feel they are now too young for me

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No. I think diamond studs are classic.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
But if you really love them be a trend setter not a follower =)2

In saying that i am in the process of selling most of my gold earings for scrap, not so much because they are dated, which they are, but just because i feel they are now too young for me

Do you have an example of too young for you? Other than things from Claire’s I’ve never thought of earrings as too young.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Do you have an example of too young for you? Other than things from Claire’s I’ve never thought of earrings as too young.

Oh well you know mall jewler trendy about 15- 25 years ago
I need bigger pieces now
i used to have tiny little ears but i think the ears keep growing because i now have lobes :mrgreen2:

RosieR

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Princess studs old fashioned? Who cares?! Wait long enough and they will be fashionable again ;)2

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think the princess cut is my favourite cut
id say timeless and elegant
Never old fashoned
Just briefly one day all these halos will look old fashoned and then they just become classic again

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am not a fan of Princess cut myself, however, I did find a 4ct semi bezel set Princess cut diamond tennis bracelet very attractive.

DK :))

Roselina

Brilliant_Rock
When I was young(er) ;-), I had cz princess cut studs and I loved them dearly. One day I lost one and I still miss them. So yes, I think they are classy! Enjoy them!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not at all dated. They're classic and timeless. They're not *as* popular as some other cuts right now, but they'll come back in - then go out again - then come back in - and so on and so on. I love a square shape in general - it's interesting to the eye. Keep them; 5 years from now everyone will want what you have! And even if they didn't - so what? Wear what you love - with confidence.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Not at all dated. They're classic and timeless. They're not *as* popular as some other cuts right now, but they'll come back in - then go out again - then come back in - and so on and so on. I love a square shape in general - it's interesting to the eye. Keep them; 5 years from now everyone will want what you have! And even if they didn't - so what? Wear what you love - with confidence.

Well said Mrs B =)2

emeraldhummingbird

Shiny_Rock
I think plain studs in any shape (in a basket with clean lines) will be classic. I bought both round and square studs in CZs to see if I liked them. Both are great. I found that round was a bit more versatile as it is a softer shape, it blends in more with different pendants and necklaces. The square is more "special" as standalone jewellery though.

The studs you posted are very nice :)

littlewhitedog

Rough_Rock
After debating and searching, I finally settled on 1ctw I VS2 Princess stud.

After trying them on, I started thinking if I should have gone with Round Brilliant.

Do you think thee are too old fashioned? Should I invest my money in getting RB instead?
E99A9D83-87F5-42B1-96CF-780BCBB76501.jpeg 542D68AC-F5E0-4BE6-8A98-07A51ECD2218.jpeg FCF0B705-4F20-48FC-B290-4D8C3EE5280B.jpeg

I don't think that the princess cut is "too old fashioned". Personally, I like round brilliants as studs as I don't like the look of my earrings being off kilter with one another. I do own a pair of ideal square cut stones that where originally studs and I had them made into drop earrings set on one point.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmm, I have never thought of princess cut as being dated or old fashioned...maybe not as popular as round, but round is a tough act to beat LOL. I look at bling_dream19's earrings and all I see is a pretty and elegant look. You should definitely just get what you love!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results