shape
carat
color
clarity

Do you think it is wrong to...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Jean

Shiny_Rock
Hello all. I need some advice. I am thinking of resetting my stone. I was thinking of setting it into a plain cathedral setting. A very thick one, from a more dainty setting that I have now. The setting that I have now has diamonds in it and the other one does not. My husband does not understand why I would want to get a plain setting when I have one with diamonds in it. I have attached some photos to show my original and the one I am thinking about...

Current Ring.jpg

Jean

Shiny_Rock
Here is the one that I am thinking of. I love the chunky look and I think that it would show off my center stone more than my setting does now. Any advice is welcome.....

Possible.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I will preface this by saying that I, personally, prefer more delicate designs. But do find some modern chunky piece quite striking. I have noticed, however, that they can make your center stone look much smaller. I would, if at all possible, see if anyone has a similiar setting near you set with the same approximate sixe stone-- just to verify that you will be happy with the look as a whole.

But hey! If you love it. You wear it and enjoy. If it makes you love your ring more then have it reset-- I'm an advocate. Diamonds or not. It's not an objective thing. Settings with diamonds are not inherently better or nicer than ones without. Beauty is in the eye of the ring wearer.

Jean

Shiny_Rock
Well said Gypsy! Thank you for the response!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Shana Jean. I agree with gypsy, you as the wearing should LOVE your ring. I do also agree with going someplace to try some on. Things just look so different in person than blown up on our computer screens.

Jean

Shiny_Rock
Thanks, I have been looking and trying them on. I am so torn about resetting the stone. I am not 100% happy with my ring and it makes me feel terrible because my hubby knows that I am not but he thinks that I should just be happy! But he is supportive and will let me reset it. I certainly have some thinking to do! Thanks for the advice.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Anytime. I do agree with Mrssalvo about the computer screen versus real life, though. Even if they don''t have the exact setting you are looking for and what they have is a semi mount... they can hold a CZ or a diamond of similar size to yours over the prongs (even sit it in there delicately) so can get an idea of the look. I ruled out 6 settings that way. ( I bought a pair of CZ asscher studs that looked about right in size for 20 bucks. Ripped one out of the setting and took it with me n a little baggie when I went setting shopping). They just didn''t compliment the 6 mm asscher the way I thought they would. But I was in love with all of the settings before doing that.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I can''t add much more than the lovely ladies above have already said. I do think it is terribly important for you to see a similar size stone to yours in that big metal setting you''re drooling over, just to make sure that it doesn''t do anything ''visually'' to the stone that you don''t like (ie. inadvertently make it smaller by comparison because of the size of the setting). It''s not wrong to want a setting that is more substantial or that doesn''t have diamonds in it. Just try to check it out fully first so you don''t end up taking the plunge and realize you preferred your original setting better!

Jean

Shiny_Rock
Thanks a lot you guys... helpful as always! :)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results