Find your diamond
Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity

Do you think ACA is over the top for a pendant?

Snowdrop13

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Joined
Aug 27, 2011
Messages
1,857
My lovely DH has offered to buy me a diamond for my Big Birthday looming :bigsmile:

I'd like to upgrade my pendant from the 0.5ct I currently have- it's not certified and was sold to me as an H, Si1. It's definitely not well cut and actually has a visible inclusion- one of those pre-Pricescope, jewellery store mistakes that many of us have made!

Do you folks think an ACA would be too much? I think my budget would stand to buy an eyeclean I or J around the 0.85ct size.

Which Whiteflash pendant setting is the best, In your opinion? I'm considering the 4 corner one but the Martini looks pretty too.

All opinions gratefully received!
 

Jimmianne

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Dec 9, 2013
Messages
6,054
Actually it's a practical idea! : )
The better the cut stays sparkly even when it is not 100% clean.
I have the WF clover pendant and love it. I know that's four small stones, not a solitaire, just saying ACAs for a pendant are very nice. :appl:
 

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Feb 12, 2011
Messages
4,567
I don't think it's over the top. I picked one of their ES diamonds in a J with the help of Phoenix another PS member. I went with the martini setting. Attaching thread for you to see .80 ct. I think if I had to do it over again I would have put it in a bezel. I love it. It just seems so light I often reach up to make sure it is still there. I get a boat load of compliments when I wear it.

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/whiteflash-plat-martini-pendant-804-j-vs1-expert-selection.172835/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/whiteflash-plat-martini-pendant-804-j-vs1-expert-selection.172835/[/URL]
 

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Dec 17, 2008
Messages
21,660
No, if I could afford an ACA pendant I would have one! So pretty!
 

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Feb 27, 2007
Messages
23,757
I think an ACA for a pendant is a really good idea. It's right where everyone can see if so I'd get the best cut diamond I can and ACA certainly one that fits in that category.
 

msop04

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Dec 3, 2011
Messages
9,776
For me, it would be overkill... but if money is no object, why the heck not?? [emoji389][emoji389][emoji389]
 

msop04

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Dec 3, 2011
Messages
9,776
JRRTolkCut|1459071270|4011617 said:
No, I don't. But that being said..what fills your needs? Some people think well cut SI2S are just fine for earrings as the average person admiring them wont be any close than 12 inches... Some others though have bryan gavin or ACA earrings.... What do you want? What will you be happy with is probably more important to ask. A Pendant is more centrally located on the body, drawing more attention to it, maybe a piece such as that one could benefit from a superideal, only you can balance the 4cs for you. Will the average admirer say "oh that must be an H&A superideal she is wearing!!" Probably not, but some people like the satisfaction of knowing they have the best cut pendant out there. Some people would want a larger ideal, non H&A to perhaps maximize size. So I think only you can answer your own question.
Good point.
 

msop04

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Dec 3, 2011
Messages
9,776
FWIW, I'd much rather have a much larger stone that is still very nicely cut. If you list your budget, the ppl here can help you maximize it... you may be surprised at what you can get! :wavey:
 

Snowdrop13

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Joined
Aug 27, 2011
Messages
1,857
JRR- I'm tying myself up in knots looking at diamonds and angles and inclusions- there's just so much choice! I guess that's why I'm having trouble deciding and why I keep coming back to the idea of a "perfect" stone.

Jimmianne- that's a good point! The clover pendant is lovely and I have always liked the flower cluster- I am feeling a teensy bit guilty about buying a second solitaire pendant, maybe one of these might suit better :think:

Mayk- thank you for pointing me in the direction of your thread, your necklace is beautiful. It looks such a nice size, I feel reassured I'm in the right ball park for the specs. The Martini is very flattering, sort of "floating" on the neck!

Tyty- they certainly are pricey but I think diamond prices are a bit lower overall at present? I'm hoping this is as good a time as any to buy!

Marcy- thank you, I do get a fair bit of sparkle from my current diamond, even though it's not well cut. I can imagine that an ACA will be tons better!

Msop- is that the money flying out of DH's pocket? :lol: I think the only thing really holding me back is the idea that I won't be able to look at the diamond all the time! Everyone else will see the sparkle.....
 

Snowdrop13

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Joined
Aug 27, 2011
Messages
1,857
JRR- thank you for the link, GOG videos are so helpful. I watched it with the sound off (I'm in a cafe, no headphones) and felt I preferred the smaller stone. That is the GIA XXX H and A. I'm having a bit of trouble with the terminology, is that the "super ideal"? The other stone is AGS Excellent but with "ideal light performance" :confused: That's an AGS 1, isn't it?? Sorry to be so dense! I also picked up the inclusions in the Si2, confirms that I would prefer eye-clean.

From all of this you can probably tell that I don't own super ideal or ideal cut diamonds! I appreciate that there probably isn't a "perfect" stone out there, just one "perfect enough" within my budget (probably about $3800 for the stone).
 

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jan 11, 2006
Messages
55,617
Snowdrop13|1459158206|4011960 said:
JRR- thank you for the link, GOG videos are so helpful. I watched it with the sound off (I'm in a cafe, no headphones) and felt I preferred the smaller stone. That is the GIA XXX H and A. I'm having a bit of trouble with the terminology, is that the "super ideal"? The other stone is AGS Excellent but with "ideal light performance" :confused: That's an AGS 1, isn't it?? Sorry to be so dense! I also picked up the inclusions in the Si2, confirms that I would prefer eye-clean.

From all of this you can probably tell that I don't own super ideal or ideal cut diamonds! I appreciate that there probably isn't a "perfect" stone out there, just one "perfect enough" within my budget (probably about $3800 for the stone).
The H&A would be equivalent to the ACA. I will say that the great thing about going with an ACA is that you really can't have any regrets after you pay for it! I have ACA's in my studs. They flash bright light across a room. They are good enough for someone to use in a ring one day. I don't think going for quality is ever a mistake unless the budget doesn't allow it for the size you want. But that's why I like WF's upgrade policy. I have used it more than once to upgrade the size of my studs.
 

Snowdrop13

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Joined
Aug 27, 2011
Messages
1,857
DS- thank you for commenting, at my stage in life I think you are right that buying high quality is the best choice and it had crossed my mind about someone being able to recycle the diamond into a ring! I'd love to have something amazing and special to pass to a future granddaughter (I have sons!). I have all the basic pieces of jewellery I need and after this I don't plan to buy much more, I think the expense is worth it.


JRR- I think I get it now, thank you for explaining! No wonder the man on the street is overwhelmed by diamond buying, there's just so much to learn.
 

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jan 11, 2006
Messages
55,617
Snowdrop13|1459189769|4012098 said:
DS- thank you for commenting, at my stage in life I think you are right that buying high quality is the best choice and it had crossed my mind about someone being able to recycle the diamond into a ring! I'd love to have something amazing and special to pass to a future granddaughter (I have sons!). I have all the basic pieces of jewellery I need and after this I don't plan to buy much more, I think the expense is worth it.
I think we have very similar thoughts! I have this idea that each one of my studs could go to a granddaughter for either their e-ring or a pendant, etc. I am kind of at the same place...I really have all that I will realistically wear, although a few more VCA pieces would be kind of fun! :naughty:
 

Snowdrop13

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Joined
Aug 27, 2011
Messages
1,857
diamondseeker2006|1459203712|4012247 said:
Snowdrop13|1459189769|4012098 said:
DS- thank you for commenting, at my stage in life I think you are right that buying high quality is the best choice and it had crossed my mind about someone being able to recycle the diamond into a ring! I'd love to have something amazing and special to pass to a future granddaughter (I have sons!). I have all the basic pieces of jewellery I need and after this I don't plan to buy much more, I think the expense is worth it.
I think we have very similar thoughts! I have this idea that each one of my studs could go to a granddaughter for either their e-ring or a pendant, etc. I am kind of at the same place...I really have all that I will realistically wear, although a few more VCA pieces would be kind of fun! :naughty:
Well, VCA pieces are just so gorgeous, and timeless, and potential heirlooms too!

Intrigued to know where JRR's posts have gone, though........
 

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jan 11, 2006
Messages
55,617
For the record, I did not report JRR. I did notice his posts were taken down, though. Apparently the mods were aware of his posts. He didn't seem like a newbie. However, they have access to IP addresses, so they can tell when someone is using a new name. We are only allowed one account, and you have to make a request to change your name here.
 

Snowdrop13

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Joined
Aug 27, 2011
Messages
1,857
Oh no, I did not think that at all! He just didn't seem to have obviously broken any of the rules but I'm glad that the mods are able to act if needed.
 

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jan 11, 2006
Messages
55,617
Oh, I know, thanks! I was kind of hoping he'd see that I did not report him. The moderators here are on top of things most of the time. I usually only report spam when I see it!
 
Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    Vintage OEC Bracelet
    Vintage OEC Bracelet
    June’s Birthstone Trinity
    June’s Birthstone Trinity
    Memorial Day Jewelry 2020
    Memorial Day Jewelry 2020

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor



Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.
Top