shape
carat
color
clarity

Do you think a jeweler could add roundels to an existing band?

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I've been wanting a two-toned band for awhile and haven't found anything that really speaks to me. I ordered one but it blended too much so the two-toned wasn't really obvious. It was too loose anyway. I came across this gorgeous band on ebay:

s-l1600.jpg

But it's pricey. I don't know the designer. Anyway do you think I could have a jeweler just put roundels on an existing band, or does it not work that way in metalsmithing?

TIA!

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
in my opinion and experience
I do think it’s possible to put on a different color metal /different metal roundels or cuffs in an existing band.

I think that -however- there may be different ways of mfg to achieve this. And you’ll get different results between them.

I have had a a two tone band to replicate a vintage out of production piece custom made.

I think the old way of making the two tone designs isnt commonly done- how ever it was the way it was accomplished back then. It’s much crisper line of demarcation between the two metal colors.

Vs the now more common way of soldering the bits together. It’s a much ‘softer’ look. I don’t want to say ‘melty’ but that’s the best way I can describe it.

Some may not be bothered by the only seen close up details - but I feel it’s worth knowing in advance to be able to discuss the possibilities and restrictions and limitations if it does matter to someone. I wish I had.

Last edited:

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
in my opinion and experience
I do think it’s possible to put on a different color metal /different metal roundels or cuffs in an existing band.

I think that -however- there may be different ways of mfg to achieve this. And you’ll get different results between them.

I have had a a two tone band to replicate a vintage out of production piece custom made.

I think the old way of making the two tone designs isnt commonly done- how ever it was the way it was accomplished back then. It’s much crisper line of demarcation between the two metal colors.

Vs the now more common way of soldering the bits together. It’s a much ‘softer’ look. I don’t want to say ‘melty’ but that’s the best way I can describe it.

Some may not be bothered by the only seen close up details - but I feel it’s worth knowing in advance to be able to discuss the possibilities if it does matter to someone. I wish I had.

What was the old way? The band I had that I returned was from the 1930s I believe and it was very blended looking. But idk if it was old vs new manufacturing ; I also think that in photos you just see the contrast more and then when it's a thinner band on your hand the contrast just isn't evident. If I did this I would use at least a 2.5mm band in a rounded style and ask for beefy roundels. Idk if it would accomplish the task, but I find this ebay ring to be soooo nice.

Edit - the two tones I was looking at previously was the orange blossom design where some blossoms were gold and the rest white metal; I think that lends itself more toward 'blended' so when I saw the roundels thought it may provide more contrast. I would love to see your ring @Rfisher that you had made.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m not sure what the older manufacture methods actually were.
I’ll gather some pictures around to illustrate what I’m trying to say on the difference

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Mreader
this hopefully illustrates better what I’m trying to say
BED0393C-D4A6-4A7A-9467-EAE25F3293A3.jpeg
The ring in the center is mine. the platinum bits are soldered onto the rose gold. Where the two metals meet are flowing together and “soft”.
The top and bottom photos are vintage pieces that i think must be manufactured differently. They have much more crisp line of demarcation between the two different metals. Whether it’s not soldered at all - or maybe it’s engraved after it’s soldered/molded together - I do not know.

1st world problems, I know :lol:

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
@Mreader
The ring in the center is mine. the platinum bits are soldered onto the rose gold. Where the two metals meet are flowing together and “soft”.
The top and bottom photos are vintage pieces that i think must be manufactured differently. They have much more crisp line of demarcation between the two different metals. Whether it’s not soldered at all - or maybe it’s engraved after it’s soldered/molded together - I do not know.

Lovely examples; my favorites are the top left and bottom right. I see your inspo was bottom right. A gorgeous piece you had made!

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you- it’s an incredibly easy ring to wear.

I don’t know if all my rambling helps you at all,
But I do have this ring pictured below and yes it does seem to go not very noticeable as being 2-tone under most lighting environments.

78938AC0-8607-4E6B-BEED-62830871D8F1.jpeg

I do think you are on the right track to going at least 2.5mm wide and bolder. Maybe even choosing a super white alloy (nickel free?) white gold so it never needs plating or platinum and a much yellower alloy than 14k - to increase the contrast.

I’m excited to see what you come up with :)

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Mreader

Heh middle bottom is my wedding band. One of the things I love about it is how crisp the WG blossoms are against the band. Looking closely, I’m sure they were somehow manufactured separately and set in place to be that clean.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Thank you- it’s an incredibly easy ring to wear.

I don’t know if all my rambling helps you at all,
But I do have this ring pictured below and yes it does seem to go not very noticeable as being 2-tone under most lighting environments.

78938AC0-8607-4E6B-BEED-62830871D8F1.jpeg

I do think you are on the right track to going at least 2.5mm wide and bolder. Maybe even choosing a super white alloy (nickel free?) white gold so it never needs plating or platinum and a much yellower alloy than 14k - to increase the contrast.

I’m excited to see what you come up with :)

I forgot to ask you who made the custom one?

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Heh middle bottom is my wedding band. One of the things I love about it is how crisp the WG blossoms are against the band. Looking closely, I’m sure they were somehow manufactured separately and set in place to be that clean.

So lovely! Did you have it made or did you find it?

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium

That’s crazy - I just used google photos!
It’s gorgeous!!!!! You lucky duck you!
Can you point us to more pictures if you’ve posted them on PS?

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That’s crazy - I just used google photos!
It’s gorgeous!!!!! You lucky duck you!
Can you point us to more pictures if you’ve posted them on PS?
Ha! What are the odds?
Happy to - I love my wedding band. It was 6 months of searching to find it! Here’s some just of it. First one is this morning, the other two are from when I first got it.
The second and third ones show how I think it is put together - where the darkened areas are between the WG and YG and you can see a join line. 98F72683-EF37-442B-B2A8-FD9F4EA272EF.jpeg A2CC7C46-90A4-4F18-9DFE-E24788BCA451.jpeg 089F0AD0-5939-490C-8656-7EECA8052659.jpeg

Last edited:

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It stacks well! 5E41CB25-D1A4-4BB0-B135-9F8A0B0F1042.jpeg

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful so I have to ask this question – did you find it or have it made?
Found it - bought it off a store on Etsy. There’s usually a good number of them if you search variously ‘orange blossom band’, ‘floral band’ or ‘two tone band’.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results