shape
carat
color
clarity

Do you tell people it’s moissy?

Halogirl1130

Shiny_Rock
I’m just wondering if you all tell everyone that your stone is a moissanite. I will for sure tell my family but I have friends who think anything less than a diamond isn’t good and they’d rather have a tiny diamond than a larger moissy. I actually have both. My original ering has a .78 diamond and I love it but I have a new setting with an 8.7mm moissy and will be making a three stone ring with my diamond.

Anyways back to the original question, I doubt people will ask if it’s a diamond but I just don’t know if I just offer the info or just leave it since most normal people won’t be able to tell. It’s not that I care that it’s a moissy, I think it’s so awesome that I can get a stone that looks so similar to a diamond without spending $30,000. I have a master bath to update and other projects that would come before a $30,000 diamond. After seeing the AV moissy, I’m questioning ever purchasing a diamond again hahah!!! It’s so pretty!

12A0A76C-9FE3-4E9B-B777-75A5C77A9668.jpeg CA2F77BF-6FB2-4F74-958D-2A1A49200852.jpeg 3ED63954-0276-4A93-B5AC-E8575DAE7A09.jpeg
349B23EA-B846-4080-9129-FDDACBC2420C.jpeg F14F4DB1-CECA-4CD6-ABAC-05F5D859AC4B.jpeg BA025D43-8802-47B2-81DF-FC6EEFB67E1F.jpeg D89D0386-25C1-4D78-B993-53E76DB5A5B4.jpeg

Halogirl1130

Shiny_Rock
Also, I really stink at taking pictures of jewelry... the stone is gorgeous in person!!!

1ofakind

Brilliant_Rock
Your ring is beautiful!!
As to your question... I have diamonds and some Moissanite. I like both and for some pieces I may prefer one over the other. I can afford to have all diamonds so I’m not trying to fool or impress anyone by passing off a ‘fake’. I can also afford a bigger house and a more expensive car but I don’t aim to spend all I can afford. But you are right in that some people would not value/appreciate the moissy if they knew. I don’t make any point to correct people if they make assumptions but one has asked. That includes my SIL who, after telling her about my first moissanite, assumes everything else is also moissanite. She constantly questions me about financial choices though...when we DIY something she remarks...”I don’t know why you do those things yourself, you can afford to hire someone.” Um, because everything I save can go into the sparkle budget for more ‘moissanite’. :lol-2:

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Likewise I have both.
My real diamond has been “accused” of being fake / CZ / something else because its big at 4.35 carats and an unusually long emerald cut . Whatever.
I think it is incredibly rude to ask anyone if their ring is “real” or “how much it cost”. If people offer me additional information about their rings I these days just smile and say it’s lovely. Even if it’s butt ugly or likely something else in my opinion.
Many years ago I got involved in an engagement ring saga. I was very concerned that my work colleagues fiancée had been ripped off because it was not a diamond worth $10,000 in the ring I was shown. Turned out, after the gem was confirmed as CZ, that the fiancée had lost $10,000 gambling and decided to cover his activity by pretending he spent $10,000 on an engagement ring.
The relationship ended, not because it was CZ but because he told a lie. A terrible deceit.
My Moissanite pieces are mostly smaller and some are coloured, I have blue, pink, orangish and of course green. I actually love the green colour.
I also have Strontium Titanite, another man made sparkler, which is even more fireball than Moissanite. Has an incredibly high dispersion, but as a gem is only about 6.5 hardness so not an everyday wearing ring.
So wear what you love, disclose whatever to whomever if you chose. If anyone asks if any of my rings are “real” I say no, they are UNREAL!

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your ring is gorgeous! :love:

I have a moissanite ring but I don’t go out of my way to tell people it’s not a diamond. I told my mom because I don’t need her questioning my financial decisions. Downside, every time she sees a new ring she now asks if it’s real or not. Otherwise, I have received many compliments on my “diamond” and I’m A- Ok with it. :mrgreen:

1ofakind

Brilliant_Rock
My daughter is the only one who knows everything I have if it’s moissanite or diamond. She doesn’t care about jewelry now but one day she may get some of these pieces so she should know.

@elle_71125 I forgot that I also told my MIL about my first moissy ring and she would always remind me when I wore it that hers was real. I swear even when she had advanced dementia she remembered that and still was telling strangers how her ring was real and mine was not, lol. I loved my MIL and when I was gifted her diamond I had it reset in a ring with other ‘real’ diamonds. she would have haunted me if I’d had set it with moissy’s.

oh gosh @Bron357 .that situation sounds truly awful and very awkward/uncomfortable. Can I ask how the coworker responded with you when they found out it was a CZ?

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If anyone asks if any of my rings are “real” I say no, they are UNREAL!

Hah, I like that and may have to steal it! :D

Halogirl1130

Shiny_Rock
Thank you everyone! This has been helpful. I totally agree Bron357, I think it’s so rude. I wouldn’t ever ask how big someone’s stone is or anything, I just feel like that’s awkward and weird. I wouldn’t ever ask if it’s a diamond because it doesn’t matter and I don’t care... and it’s rude. The question alone insinuates that if it’s not then it’s not good?

Anyways, glad your coworker learned about her fiancé before getting married!

Halogirl1130

Shiny_Rock
Your ring is gorgeous! :love:

I have a moissanite ring but I don’t go out of my way to tell people it’s not a diamond. I told my mom because I don’t need her questioning my financial decisions. Downside, every time she sees a new ring she now asks if it’s real or not. Otherwise, I have received many compliments on my “diamond” and I’m A- Ok with it. :mrgreen:

I’m sorry your mom doesn’t understand... I will tell my family also mostly because they know we could afford a diamond if I really wanted to spend my money on that but I don’t want them to think I did ha. We have a lot of other priorities.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
i have a couple of moissy rings, i used to pre-emptively tell anyone who commented on one but now i just think it's TMI unless they are really curious and ask more about the ring. kind of like the impulse i have when someone compliments a dress or shoes etc to say "i got it on sale!"

i have that impulse b/c i don't want people to see me as selfish/wasteful/spendy etc. but in reality no one cares but me so now i keep it to myself unless asked.

Halogirl1130

Shiny_Rock
i have a couple of moissy rings, i used to pre-emptively tell anyone who commented on one but now i just think it's TMI unless they are really curious and ask more about the ring. kind of like the impulse i have when someone compliments a dress or shoes etc to say "i got it on sale!"

i have that impulse b/c i don't want people to see me as selfish/wasteful/spendy etc. but in reality no one cares but me so now i keep it to myself unless asked.

I do the same thing when someone compliments my clothes or something I have. I love getting good deals on stuff haha.

I had a friend tell me the other day that her friend got a moissanite e ring because she wanted a bigger stone and my friend said she’d rather have a tiny diamond than a fake one. I just told her that I think moissanite is gorgeous and I’d buy moissanite jewelry and left it at that. But it got me thinking about what I should say about my new ring and if I should tell people/ her ha.

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
I don't have moissy but I do have lab spinel and when I set my ruby, a lab ruby. They are gorgeous custom cut stones and I love them! Someone else asked this question about lab stones and I'll say the same thing I said there.
I tell people my stones are lab when it is appropriate! For instance I don't just go up to strangers and be like omg! See this?? It's lab made stone! It's not their business and that would be wierd right?

If someone asks is it real? Or what is it? Then absolutely I would say that it is a lab spinel. Isn't it cool? It was custom cut by a cutter just for me!

If someone just says oh how pretty! Then that's it. I don't need to say anything at all other than thank you! Because they probably don't care. If they did they would've started more of a conversation about it. I save my gushing for here mostly. But if someone is receptive I love to share about lab stones now. I think it's so awesome to have all the beautiful lab made and natural choices that we have these days! Moissy included! I still want some of that eventually!

Your ring is amazing btw! I would take it and update that bathroom for sure! :kiss2:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results