shape
carat
color
clarity

Do you swear?

GoldenTouch

Shiny_Rock
Yes... but not around my child or other children!
Mind you she heard it all at school but knows she can’t repeat them (around me... she may do when I’m not around??!!)
My mother (80, secretary of the year & a wordsmith) claims swearing is proof you have a poor vocabulary.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My mother (80, secretary of the year & a wordsmith) claims swearing is proof you have a poor vocabulary.

Haha yes I find some individuals from older generations feel that way.
But I agree with the following comments below.

"Studies have shown that swearing relieves stress, dulls the sensation of pain, fosters camaraderie among peers and is linked with traits like verbal fluency, openness and honesty. And the effects of cursing are physical as well as mental."

"People who are good at producing language are good at producing swear words,” adds Jay. “It’s not because they don’t have language — it’s because they have a whole toolbox full of words.”"

GoldenTouch

Shiny_Rock
Haha yes I find some individuals from older generations feel that way.
But I agree with the following comments below.

"Studies have shown that swearing relieves stress, dulls the sensation of pain, fosters camaraderie among peers and is linked with traits like verbal fluency, openness and honesty. And the effects of cursing are physical as well as mental."

"People who are good at producing language are good at producing swear words,” adds Jay. “It’s not because they don’t have language — it’s because they have a whole toolbox full of words.”"

Oh!! I’ll show her this. FFS... I agree ;)2

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think I am the minority who doesn't swear.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think I am the minority who doesn't swear.

I don't remember what caused me to start swearing because we were raised no swearing allowed. I never heard my mom or dad curse. I think I was in my 30s before I started swearing. Greg doesn't remember as I just asked him. But yeah, I was raised in a no swearing allowed household. My sister and I were raised by very emotionally open and available parents who gave us the groundwork for a emotionally healthy future so I cannot fault them for the no swearing allowed rule. ;-)

Asked Greg and he too was raised in a no swearing household. Greg rarely swears though compared to me. :lol:

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don’t! I went to a Catholic elementary school run by tough nuns when I lived in Brooklyn..I got my mouth washed out with soap..and had to put my tongue on the blackboard. Those were the days!! I‘ve learned to not curse out loud because my son is Autistic..He will repeat everything and could get in trouble at his school..now job...pre-Covid..It was hard for my husband because he was in the Navy..I occasionally mumble some under my breath...Haha

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
At 4am I colored the air blue. :oops2: :lol:

make no mistake, we weren't allowed to say swear words, and I'm here to tell you, I've tasted enough soap as a kid when I did!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don’t! I went to a Catholic elementary school run by tough nuns when I lived in Brooklyn..I got my mouth washed out with soap..and had to put my tongue on the blackboard. Those were the days!! I‘ve learned to not curse out loud because my son is Autistic..He will repeat everything and could get in trouble at his school..now job...pre-Covid..It was hard for my husband because he was in the Navy..I occasionally mumble some under my breath...Haha

Omg yes that’s why Greg rarely swears. I forgot he went to Catholic school and got hit more than a few times. For things other than swearing but still. :/

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
At 4am I colored the air blue. :oops2: :lol:

make no mistake, we weren't allowed to say swear words, and I'm here to tell you, I've tasted enough soap as a kid when I did!

I got smacked but never had my mouth washed out with soap. Could you imagine getting either of those things done to us (if we were kids) today. Back then getting hit or having one’s mouth washed out with soap was no rare occurrence. :0

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I got smacked but never had my mouth washed out with soap. Could you imagine getting either of those things done to us (if we were kids) today. Back then getting hit or having one’s mouth washed out with soap was no rare occurrence. :0

Yes @missy..It was also a village upbringing. If another parent thought you needed correcting they did. No way can you do that today! Yikes!

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm from NJ; that should answer the question of whether or not I swear. However I have midwest relatives, and was actually born there, so I am often known to say "Oh for the love of Pete!", a favorite expression of my grandmother. This amuses my NJ-born husband to no end. Another favorite of mine is "Oh crumbs", a nod to James Herriot and my English ancestry. My kids and husband have picked up onthat one, calling unpleasant things "crumbish".

LorettaB

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Yes I swear. I was alternately swearing and praying this past Saturday when I had to crawl into a high small window because the golden retriever you see in the photo locked the deadbolt when I was packing up to leave one house to head to another. Swearing at her and praying I didn't hurt my 57 year old self. I don't use the GD word ever. I use the F word just a little. I make good use of the others. I don't swear at work, except in my head. I try to monitor this tongue of mine. I worked a while for a woman who used the F word so frequently it was ridiculous, and while I am "modern" it was sooooo unladylike. I would watch her thinking, "You're such a pretty woman, why do you have to swear so much?!?" It was just too much. I knew a woman who passed long ago that swearing was a habit for her. Didn't think a thing about the time someone called to check on a job reference for an applicant and her answer was, "He ain't worth the powder it'd take to blow his ass off the face of this Earth!" Well then.....

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do think there may be some regional and other factors involved. I live in the south and none of my friends or extended family use profanity as the norm. Certainly there might be a rare occasion in private, but it’s just not done in my circles. Maybe our pace of life is a little less stressful or something! (Don’t get me wrong, there certainly are people in the south who do.)

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Count me in!! But never around my girls. That's Mr T's job :lol:

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Too much. I'm from the south side of Chicago...what do you f***ing want from me?

But I even do it at work. Obviously I am not, nor will I ever be, client-facing :lol:

LorettaB

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I do think there may be some regional and other factors involved. I live in the south and none of my friends or extended family use profanity as the norm. Certainly there might be a rare occasion in private, but it’s just not done in my circles. Maybe our pace of life is a little less stressful or something! (Don’t get me wrong, there certainly are people in the south who do.)

Born and raised and lived all my life in Mississippi. What you say, to me, is how it is. While some folks swear, I'm more apt to say, "Good grief!" "Heavens to Betsy!" or "Lord to the have mercy!" If you met me in person, you'd understand....but then you probably already know someone like me. I don't never not use a swear word...but the circumstances when I do are probably when it's bad, like really, really bad.

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I find a perfectly placed swear word is often useful for emphasis or clarity in certain conversations! I must say I don’t like it when people swear every second word, as if they don’t know any other vocabulary. Tends to be from young men of a certain type and age in my area.

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
I find a perfectly placed swear word is often useful for emphasis or clarity in certain conversations! I must say I don’t like it when people swear every second word, as if they don’t know any other vocabulary. Tends to be from young men of a certain type and age in my area.

Something about a well timed, well placed swear word, gets me every time.
Some memes have me in stitches.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Like a sailor, but never around my parents/older folks/mixed company. Sampled too many soap bars as a kid, and still wouldn't put it past my mom today.

The only time i ever swore in front of my mother was when we drove past this
And im not even Catholic (although i was brought up to have much reapect for the Pope) christchurch-after-the-earthquake-catholic-cathedral-DGCCGR.jpg
And before the quakes, this was the Catholic Bassilica, the cathedral of the blessed sacrament, an entire city of churches were destroyed - thank God it didn't happen on a Sunday
ChristchurchBasilica_Cathedral_of_the_Blessed_Sacrament.jpg

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
All the time. Work, home, out and about.
Gotta say I am SO tired of the "unladylike" and "unintelligent" comments though. Pretty sure several studies have said people who swear are incredibly intelligent, and I don't give a flying F*** if some sexist old prune thinks I'm unladylike sooo yeah.

wildcat03

Brilliant_Rock
I do, as does my husband. So it's only natural that at age...18 months or so my daughter said "oh, f---." I ignored it and said "oh darn!" She continued to say it for months so I just ignored it. She hasn't said it in a while so I think she's forgotten. But I'm probably kidding myself. That kid has a mind like a steel trap and she'll probably drop an f-bomb at preschool in September after not having said it for almost a year.

At least we seem to have cleaned up our language at home, now.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm from NJ; that should answer the question of whether or not I swear. However I have midwest relatives, and was actually born there, so I am often known to say "Oh for the love of Pete!", a favorite expression of my grandmother. This amuses my NJ-born husband to no end. Another favorite of mine is "Oh crumbs", a nod to James Herriot and my English ancestry. My kids and husband have picked up onthat one, calling unpleasant things "crumbish".
Haha @doberman..I say “Son of a B!”...just the letter!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I do, as does my husband. So it's only natural that at age...18 months or so my daughter said "oh, f---." I ignored it and said "oh darn!" She continued to say it for months so I just ignored it. She hasn't said it in a while so I think she's forgotten. But I'm probably kidding myself. That kid has a mind like a steel trap and she'll probably drop an f-bomb at preschool in September after not having said it for almost a year.

At least we seem to have cleaned up our language at home, now.

My freind had a little girl still in a cot and learning to talk when the first earthquake struck christchurch
My freind only had (a lot) of superficial and cosmetic damage that required completely redecorating and cleaning up a huge mess
it happened at night time
they rushed into the wee girl's room to check she was ok
she was standing up in her cot saying "fuuuuuuuuccccccc******
noise"
I beleave you cannot growl at children who use it in contex :lol:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results