shape
carat
color
clarity

Do you support schools banning cellphone use during class?

Do you support strict cellphone bans during class at schools?

• 1. Yes, 100% ban during school hours

Votes: 25 43.9%
  • 2. Yes, but only during actual class time

Votes: 29 50.9%
  • 3. I'm torn, 50 50

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4. I lean towards a yes

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • 5. Absolutely Not! This violates rights, insults and 'infantilizes' students

Votes: 2 3.5%
  • 6. Other, please explain

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a friend who teaches.
She tells me her students on phones are "just not there".
It's like they're hypnotized.
They are GLUED to their phones while she's teaching.

She said, "If I can't reach, I can't teach."

Below is a NYT article about a new Florida law banning phones during class.
Some schools ban them the entire school day, even during lunch and between classes.

What say you?

Last edited:

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's a great question and something I've not thought about since my daughter is in her 30's and social media was not as consuming when she was in school. I answered that they should be banned during class time. I don't have any qualms about that at all, assuming the school can contact a student if there is a family emergency, etc. But I wonder what happens with high school students, if they go to lunch, get absorbed with social media and then don't go to their next class. Does that happen? I'm guessing it might, but again, I've not had to deal with this as a parent. I think parents of school age kids may be more able to answer these types of questions. But if the phones interfere with classes, normal socializing, etc. I'd ban them during the whole school day.

Last edited:

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I have a strict “no phones “ policy anytime we take a car trip. My boys complain every time and I do not relent.
“It’s boring to look out the windows “
Yup. And being bored is such an undervalued state of being.
As I see it, ANY amount of time I can get their heads away from a phone is a positive.
Lucky for me both schools take the phones away when the kids walk into school and return them on the way home.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I have a strict “no phones “ policy anytime we take a car trip. My boys complain every time and I do not relent.
As I see it, ANY amount of time I can get their heads away from a phone is a positive.
Lucky for me both schools take the phones away when the kids walk into school and return them on the way home.

Bravo, well said!!

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm a "yes but during actual class time". I've been a NYC teacher for 17 years. My own kids are in school now. I know full well in my own school that if a parent calls we might miss the call (no dedicated secretary). Rather than a phone my kid has a watch with a cell line. I can text him if I need, I can call him if I need. He can't just do anything on it, it's pretty restricted. It's a lot more gray than it used to be.

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No phones in view in the classroom. Nope nope nope! I allow them to keep them in their pocket (emergencies happen) but if I see or hear it, it can be taken. School rule and I like it!

ETA in the hallways they are dangerous just like drivers with phones, so that’s a no as well.
Not to mention the cyber bullying that happens.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No phones in view in the classroom. Nope nope nope! I allow them to keep them in their pocket (emergencies happen) but if I see or hear it, it can be taken. ...

Since you allow students to not only keep their phones on their persons, but even keep them turned on (for emergencies only) while you are teaching, have you ever caught a student trying to use it without you noticing?

If so, wasn't this disruptive to your teaching?
And if so, how often has this happened?

If I may ask, what age are your students, as it might be considered relevant to this topic?

My teacher friend says her school has a no phones during class rule.
But some kids concealed and used their phones under their desks, or behind an open textbook or bulky sweater.

I will say, even before cellphones, kids passed notes when the teacher is writing on the chalkboard.
Makes me wonder what kids did before paper and pencils were invented.

Some things never change.
Kids will be kids, ya know.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
During class? Totally behind a 100% ban. In-between classes? Not the schools area to ban imo. It's a personal device, and that seems like a slippery slope. It's a communication device, not a weapon.

HGar

Shiny_Rock
Our kids here in Australia go to a Catholic high school (yrs7-10). Twelve months ago they brought in lockable pouches that phones are put into at beginning of school day and then not unlocked until leaving for home. Our eldest who goes to a senior Catholic school (yrs11-12) do not have the same as they are deemed to be adults and can be “trusted”.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have been teaching for 27 years. I have a strict policy for my AP and Honors kids. They abide by the rules bc they care about their grades and bc they are engaged in their learning. I also teach a regular class and they don’t care. They are addicted to their phones. They will happily earn a zero and fail English and retake the class online and pass it in one week. We have an online program which is watered down even more so bc the district wants kids to graduate. For that class, I try my best to keep them engaged. I don’t confiscate phones bc I don’t want to be held accountable if they go missing. I figure these young people are 17/18. They can choose to pass or fail. Banning phones would improve learning, for sure. But we live in an era where gun men can walk into a classroom and start killing kids. I would not want to be the reason that a kid could not call and say good bye to his parents. Sadly. That is our reality. I have experienced 2 lockdowns in 2 years. Both times, it was the kids who got updates before teachers did. I was lucky enough to coincidentally miss the 4 hour lockdown which many of my colleagues are still traumatized by.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
That was an amazing post to read @nala
As a parent, I feel responsible for a lot - and your post gave me insight. It’s really up to the kid at the end of the day.

Thank you so much for what you do- to all the teachers reading this. Yours is among the most important and least acknowledged professions in our world.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
yes, i went to sch0ol last centuary and ewe ddint need phones to hamper our education
there is also a lot of bullying that goes on with phones that does no one any good

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

Gary's grandkids also hate car rides
man, we loved it back in my day, we used to take hours long sunday drives
listening to each other's music or just talking - the reward was an icecream
Dad would always take the long way, back country roads to go anywhere

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Phones in classrooms are not allowed in the UK. In primary schools the older children who have them (aged 10 - 11) have to hand them into a lock box at the start of the day & will get them back at the end. In high schools they are banned from classrooms & always have been. At my daughters school they will even get a detention if caught with a phone during breaks or lunch, so any sneaky messages I get (can X come home with me tonight for dinner / can I go to X’s house today) are always sent from the bottom of the school field where they can’t be seen by staff :lol-2:

It works. Learning needs to be focused & the brain needs to be present, not far away scrolling through Tik Tok.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
During class? Yes.
Between classes? No.

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@kenny all good questions. I teach middle school (11-13yo) special education so my classes are quite small so easier to manage. If I see or hear one, I let them know that’s their warning and next time it’s on my desk. They always oblige for me but there have been recording incidents (kids recording teachers) in my school. It does interrupt the learning process but we have interruptions all day long in a class like mine.
Honestly, phones are the least of the problems for me as poor behavior and disrespect is the worst I’ve ever seen.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Slickk. :))

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Banned during class time but they should be allowed during study hall or lunch.

I also think that laptops and Chromebook’s are overused in school, my older son can barely write legibly because he hardly ever has to, everything is on the computer, he is a high school student.

Our younger one in 4th grade is not on a computer at school (ONLY because he is not in public school) and he has better handwriting than his 16 year old brother! They have a very strict no phone policy at the younger’s school as well.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I would support a total ban if it weren’t for the lockdown situations that are sad reality. And a very minimum a band in the classroom and I think also at lunch. They don’t even talk to each other otherwise! I teach at the university level and it’s so annoying that they don’t pay attention and are on their phones. I used to walk into classrooms were they were constantly chattering at each other and now it’s total silence because they are absorbed on their phone.

I am addicted to my phone also and I don’t like that about myself. And I didn’t start with an iPhone until I was in my 30s. I can’t imagine what it’s doing to a younger brain. It’s so much more nefarious than passing notes. Like yada, my son started working on a Chromebook in the first grade which I think is excessive. Before it was pencil and paper, and I think they should continue that trend a little longer before switching over.

The subject I teach requires a fair amount of memorization, and I think that technology doesn’t push us to memorize anything anymore. So students have done much more poorly over the years than they used to.

And I agree with David that there’s something to be said about having to be bored and using your thoughts, or being with your thoughts to counteract that feeling.

P

Petalouda

A ban during class time at a minimum. I teach college courses and students being on their phone can set a tone of “whatever” that can be contagious. I used to be strict about it but lost interest in babysitting adults, even if some were 17-18. Not a total surprised that my strongest students don’t hang on their phone during class.

winetime12

Shiny_Rock
Kids also need to learn how to self-control their phone use, they won't always have the option to "ban" phones in workplaces or in life just in general and their productivity/relationships will be significantly impacted by their inability to control the impulse. I can't vs I CAN but I choose not to is a powerful life skill.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Just another thing to add. There are SO MANY kids that are of driving age that do not want to drive, don’t want to learn and/or don’t like driving. And that’s because they’re able to communicate via phone or other methods imho. It’s really wild.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Cursive. Anyone remember cursive???
How about music in schools. It’s this thing where you give the kids a wooden thing with strings or a horn and they learn about the arts???
We’re so screwed.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
How about music in schools. It’s this thing where you give the kids a wooden thing with strings or a horn and they learn about the arts???
We’re so screwed.

They can’t read cursive or tell time on a clock lol

elizat

Ideal_Rock
We’re so screwed.

Public schools have not taught that for a long time! In my house we have an almost 17-year-old boy and I attempted to teach him, but it did not work. I'm the stepmom so that probably doesn't help as well. He recently got his learner's permit and didn't even know actually how to sign his name, so it's just printing that looks like a 5-year-old wrote it.

Even his handwriting is absolutely atrocious.

In his public school there are no music classes unless you are in band. They do at least have art classes, but most of the art classes are focused on digital art rather than not computer-based. It's a little sad.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
They can’t read cursive or tell time on a clock lol

It's absolutely true. If I would have been a parent myself I would have taught my child cursive as well as a lot of other things that they don't teach anymore, but as a step parent, that doesn't work so well!

elizat

Ideal_Rock
Just another thing to add. There are SO MANY kids that are of driving age that do not want to drive, don’t want to learn and/or don’t like driving. And that’s because they’re able to communicate via phone or other methods imho. It’s really wild.

This is true. Even my brother did not want to get his driver's license until he was almost a senior in high school and he only did it because he was going away to college. His college was in an area where there was not an option to not drive, so he did it. He is 26. Big age gap with us.

I have also noticed that a lot of times he will "talk" to his boyfriend by texting even though they are sitting in the same room together.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have been teaching for 27 years. I have a strict policy for my AP and Honors kids. They abide by the rules bc they care about their grades and bc they are engaged in their learning. I also teach a regular class and they don’t care. They are addicted to their phones. They will happily earn a zero and fail English and retake the class online and pass it in one week. We have an online program which is watered down even more so bc the district wants kids to graduate. For that class, I try my best to keep them engaged. I don’t confiscate phones bc I don’t want to be held accountable if they go missing. I figure these young people are 17/18. They can choose to pass or fail. Banning phones would improve learning, for sure. But we live in an era where gun men can walk into a classroom and start killing kids. I would not want to be the reason that a kid could not call and say good bye to his parents. Sadly. That is our reality. I have experienced 2 lockdowns in 2 years. Both times, it was the kids who got updates before teachers did. I was lucky enough to coincidentally miss the 4 hour lockdown which many of my colleagues are still traumatized by.

My first thought when I read this thread was we don’t live in the same world we did 25 years ago. I don’t want to seem morbid but all I could think about were the children from Uvalde trying to save their teachers, their classmates and themselves by using a phone. I’m sorry you have experienced lockdowns @nala.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
This is true. Even my brother did not want to get his driver's license until he was almost a senior in high school and he only did it because he was going away to college. His college was in an area where there was not an option to not drive, so he did it. He is 26. Big age gap with us.

I have also noticed that a lot of times he will "talk" to his boyfriend by texting even though they are sitting in the same room together.

omg sitting in the same room?! Wowza. I wonder if people feel more natural texting vs talking.

Typically, the later in life you learn to drive the worse at it you are...so worried about these late drivers....

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I guess my town is fortunate to still have some music in the public schools. I think they get an instrument in 4th grade still and that's when my daughter got the clarinet (she's in her 30's now). Here's the music and drama curriculum for the elementary schools. I have no idea if they still teach cursive, but I doubt it.
1698858799591.png

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results