shape
carat
color
clarity

Do you sneak a look at stangers jewellery?

Lottie

Brilliant_Rock
I have just popped into my local town to pick up a few things for the weekend, I got everything I needed and while I was there I saw...

A lovely ruby set in yellow gold with a little halo
A marquise in white gold with a wierdly thick wedding band
Some dreamy rb earrings
and finally a beautiful little baguette cut eternity ring

Anyone else do this? I would hate to get caught staring and am aware that not everyone on the street shares my interest in jewellery but I can't not do it! My husband is amused and bemused that I can usually tell him in detail the rings of everyone at a dinner party or lunch and thankfully my sister is also guilty of this so I have got company. I would never be rude or unkind about another persons choice of jewellery, I just wish people were as happy to discuss their jewellery as freely as they were their shoes/cars/houses!

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
All the time. I can describe what people had on at parties too! DH thinks I'm nuts. If something -- earrings, necklace, ring, bracelet, brooch, is extra pretty or intriguing, I ask about it. Most people are delighted to tell their stories; a few look as if I'm about to jump them & snatch it. Doesn't stop me next time!

Alistra

Shiny_Rock
Of course! The funny thing is that sometimes my husband points out nice jewelry on other people. I guess I have "trained" him well! :)

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I gawk, stare, drool, etc., completely unashamed!

MAC-W

Brilliant_Rock
I stare unashamedly. and if it's something really nice I ask about it as well. I have NO shame.

I've found that most peole are very happy to be complimented on their jewellery and are also happy to share the story behind the particular piece I've commented on. I get to hear some really interesting stories as a result.
:appl:

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Alistra|1313763997|2994226 said:
Of course! The funny thing is that sometimes my husband points out nice jewelry on other people. I guess I have "trained" him well! :)

Ditto! I realized that my work here was done when a mutual friend was telling my husband and how she got engaged, and he asked about the ring so he could report back.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I do this all the time, and I've even commented to them on how beautiful their jewelry is at times.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Are you kidding!!!Its an obsession with me!!! I am always embarrassing myself by staring at peoples jewelry and also walking up to complete strangers and blatantly asking about their jewelry and watches!!! : :twisted: No one is safe...stores, work,parties,movie lines and even church. i love the challenge of identifying a piece from a distance(if it is genuine or costume,if its a designer fake, or if its genuine antique or reproduction. etc) and then asking about the piece to see how close Ive come!Some times i don't have to ask...people have approached me at gatherings before asking me to do a quickie appraisal and then the loupe comes out for an even closer look! I once asked a couple about an engagement ring asking" was this your grandmothers ring" and they said i was like talking to a jewelry whisper! :lol:
Jewel Freak...we could have so much fun together at parties! you could scout one side of the room and i would take the other and we could report back to each other in the middle!!! :D

manderz

Brilliant_Rock
I frequently remember strangers/people I've just met better by their jewelry than anything else, so guilty as charged!

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
MAC-W|1313766187|2994265 said:
I stare unashamedly. and if it's something really nice I ask about it as well. I have NO shame.

I've found that most peole are very happy to be complimented on their jewellery and are also happy to share the story behind the particular piece I've commented on. I get to hear some really interesting stories as a result.
:appl:

This week ive had 4 patients compliment my rings. I welcome all comments gladly and sometimes we take a few minutes to talk about diamonds instead of cancer, and for just a little while, we both forget what we are doing there.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Heck yes! There was this woman checking out in front of me at the store, and she had the biggest, icy white rock and a really blingy set. It was blinding. I kept trying to sneak a look. It was amazing! Then I wondered if it was real. :rodent:

satbeachbill

Rough_Rock
I do it all the time too. It's jut second nature for me when we are in public to check out others jewelry. I'm always telling my wife.............hey look at that ... or look over there...or check out her necklace! I should have been a jeweler.

maplefemme

Brilliant_Rock
Always! I'm such a gawker, especially on the train. Yesterday I saw a lady wearing what looked to be a gorgeous large emerald cut engagement ring, but she was reading a book so I couldn't get a good look at it, so frustrating! I was thinking subliminally "just turn your hand!".

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lottie UK|1313762968|2994214 said:
I have just popped into my local town to pick up a few things for the weekend, I got everything I needed and while I was there I saw...

A lovely ruby set in yellow gold with a little halo
A marquise in white gold with a wierdly thick wedding band
Some dreamy rb earrings
and finally a beautiful little baguette cut eternity ring

Anyone else do this? I would hate to get caught staring and am aware that not everyone on the street shares my interest in jewellery but I can't not do it! My husband is amused and bemused that I can usually tell him in detail the rings of everyone at a dinner party or lunch and thankfully my sister is also guilty of this so I have got company. I would never be rude or unkind about another persons choice of jewellery, I just wish people were as happy to discuss their jewellery as freely as they were their shoes/cars/houses!

all the time! I always look at Erings and try to to "grade them" in my mind.. "hmm, that is a nice warm stone, maybe an L-M, definitely an older cut" lol. I love to be inspired and see who is wearing what!

gardengloves

Brilliant_Rock
every - single- day-

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
All the time, and now hubby does too!

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
jewelerman|1313771413|2994307 said:
Jewel Freak...we could have so much fun together at parties! you could scout one side of the room and i would take the other and we could report back to each other in the middle!!! :D

You're on, Jewelerman! Let's go!!

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am horrible! And I critique! :-o :errrr: like all my taste is in my mouth!

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I notice all the time but only ask questions in social settings (not at work or in public with strangers).

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Absolutely!

I also offer a compliment if the situation seems appropriate and non-threatening for the owner.
After the compliment if they seem amenable I'll strike up a conversation about diamonds.
Of course I'd back off if I get any anxiety vibes.
Women with diamonds are wise to be careful about men approaching them.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
All the time and I'm not shy about asking questions or giving compliments on jewelry.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Definitely. And I get annoyed if I can't get a good look at something intriguing. I've been known to say, "That's a really lovely ring." with the hope that someone will give me a closer look.

JuneRose

Brilliant_Rock
Yes absolutely! I have a perfect vantage point at work because our main customers are quite well-off married women so I can ogle all day long!

Nomsdeplume

Brilliant_Rock
All the time. I try to be subtle about it because it seems to make some people uncomfortable. I have been caught staring a few times, and one woman put her hand under the table and another turned her ring around. :oops:

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
no, i don't sneak a look....i'm much more assertive and tell them what i'm looking at and engage them in a conversation about their piece. most seem to appreciate my appreciation....and their story about the piece.

however, in movies i'm always asking my hubby if he noticed x/y/z, especially in period pieces.....or i nudge him during the movie when i see a particular ring that is noteworthy.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Oh, yes. I remember doing a business presentation to a big time heiress who had the most amazing ruby ring. You can't imagine how that thing distracted me.

At the theater last week, I caught a glimpse of a Todd Reed rough diamond pin. This made my day, since I never see the more modern jewelry designers around here. I wanted to go up to the lady and talk jewelry with her.

sweet_pea

Shiny_Rock
I do it all the time too!

Deia

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I totally stare lol. In a good way though!!! Love to compliment ppl's jewelry :)

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
Yup, and I have no problem asking people about their bling either!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results