shape
carat
color
clarity

Do you recognize posters by their avatars?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Question. Do you recognize posters by their avatars and conciously/subconciously respond based on that recognition?

I recently changed my avatar picture from one that I''ve had since I got engaged almost two years ago. I think I''m pretty recognizable from that old picture. I''ve noticed since I changed it, that people have responded differently to me (in some cases). One time it bordered on insulting. I''ve known the responder(known on PS, not IRL) for a long time, and I was shocked that she''d post something like that to me. I wondered if it was because she didn''t realize who she responded to and just thought I was a random person on the LIW board...just thinking out loud here.

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
You''re the girl that used to have the flower picture right?
2.gif

Even though we have a lot of members here, I feel like I "know" most of them by screenname. If I ventured over to Rocky Talky or SMTR I wouldn''t recognize anyone. But I know the names on BWW, LIW, Hangout, and Family pretty well which is where I tend to stick to.

I will admit though Hudson that I thought you were already married. I don''t know why.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yep, I definitely recognise posters by their avatars. I love your new one though-it''s cool!

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/26/2009 2:17:00 PM
Author: fieryred33143
2.gif

Even though we have a lot of members here, I feel like I ''know'' most of them by screenname. If I ventured over to Rocky Talky or SMTR I wouldn''t recognize anyone. But I know the names on BWW, LIW, Hangout, and Family pretty well which is where I tend to stick to.

I will admit though Hudson that I thought you were already married. I don''t know why.

I''m not a LIW, I just post there sometimes. I''m getting married in July.

btrflygrl23

Brilliant_Rock
Yes I do recognize posters by their avatars well the ones who have personalized ones. Sometimes I still know the posters who use the PS provided avatars but sometimes I have to look twice especially since we have so many new posters come on all the time.

Hudson, I LOVE your new avatar too really cool wherever did you find that little quote?
21.gif

Bia

Ideal_Rock
You're the girl that used to have the flower picture right?
2.gif

Even though we have a lot of members here, I feel like I 'know' most of them by screenname. If I ventured over to Rocky Talky or SMTR I wouldn't recognize anyone. But I know the names on BWW, LIW, Hangout, and Family pretty well which is where I tend to stick to.

I will admit though Hudson that I thought you were already married. I don't know why.
I'm really not copying you, I just agree with a lot of the stuff you say!
25.gif
3.gif
5.gif
9.gif

HH, I think (because I was experimenting after I read this thread) that I look for names first, then in an instant I notice the avatar. I don't know all the people here, but I definitely recognize the regulars by name. I remember you because you live in the same state where I grew up (I mention it every chance I get because I live in NY now
20.gif
hehehe), and you have the "HH over and out" sig, which I love. Plus you had the beautiful bouquet avatar.

BUT, for some reason, maybe because I haven't been here that long (and used to stay primarily in LIW), I thought you were married too...weird. Maybe it's because I'm not a reg BIW either...I'm sort of in wedding limbo right now
9.gif

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I do *but* I don''t think there is anything wrong with changing it. I change mine all the time!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can''t remember what your last avatar looked like! I just know posters by screen names usually...some avatars I remember but there has to be something about them that triggers some sort of association in my brain I guess. (Does that make sense?!?)
26.gif

InLuv101

Brilliant_Rock
I def. recongnize posters by their avatars. When regular posters change their aviatars, it always thows me for a loop.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/26/2009 2:28:06 PM
Author: btrflygrl23
Yes I do recognize posters by their avatars well the ones who have personalized ones. Sometimes I still know the posters who use the PS provided avatars but sometimes I have to look twice especially since we have so many new posters come on all the time.

Hudson, I LOVE your new avatar too really cool wherever did you find that little quote?
21.gif

the quote came from a little flip book of funny sayings with pics of retro women. It''s called "That''s Queen *itch to You!). It has other sayings like "I childproofed my house but they still get in" "I was on a diet for a month and I lost 30 days" "Marriage? No thanks, I can''t mate in captivity"

fleur-de-lis

Brilliant_Rock
2.gif

Even though we have a lot of members here, I feel like I ''know'' most of them by screenname. If I ventured over to Rocky Talky or SMTR I wouldn''t recognize anyone. But I know the names on BWW, LIW, Hangout, and Family pretty well which is where I tend to stick to.

Says FieryRed, whose supercute dog photo I actively miss seeing.
2.gif

To answer your Q, Hudson_Hawk, I totally do. To use a couple of the longtime posters as examples, Skippy''s smiling face totally matches the upbeat and kind tone of her posts, and TravingGal''s acerbic wit lends itself not only to animating a stickfigure to beat its head against a wall, but adding the undulating belly while pregnant was quite the comedy coup de grace. But even when the avatars are less representative, it appears easier for the brain to connect multiple posts by a single user into a cohesive storyline/perspective that is easier to recollect.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I totally do too. I've learned to adjust though as some regulars do change theirs with some frequency. But it always takes me a while.

I just changed mine today, and it's nothing like my previous ones (any of them... first I alternated pics of my cats, then a couple of holiday ones, and most recently my bouquet) and I have a feeling I'm going to be throwing a couple of people for a loop.

A little change is good though. Keeps people on their toes!

Monnie, I think if you changed yours I would be at sea!

fleur-de-lis

Brilliant_Rock
(Hudson_Hawk, did you ever use a Yahoo avatar as your avatar here?)

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gypsy-Love the new avatar

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/26/2009 2:34:28 PM
Author: Tacori E-ring
I do *but* I don''t think there is anything wrong with changing it. I change mine all the time!

And we LOVE new pictures of adorable Miss Tessa
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/26/2009 2:45:16 PM
Author: Gypsy
I totally do too. I''ve learned to adjust though as some regulars do change theirs with some frequency. But it always takes me a while.

I just changed mine today, and it''s nothing like my previous ones (any of them... first I alternated pics of my cats, then a couple of holiday ones, and most recently my bouquet) and I have a feeling I''m going to be throwing a couple of people for a loop.

A little change is good though. Keeps people on their toes!

Monnie, I think if you changed yours I would be at sea!

Love your new one Layla. I also recognize posters by their avatars. If they change them, it just takes me a little bit to get used to the new ones.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you Linda and Hudson. And ditto to you BOTH!

Ms. Linda... do I need to venture over to colored stones to see what you have planned for that freaking gorgorous pair of pads in your av?

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I totally recognize people by their avatars first, then I look at the name.

ETA: LOL, I just realized that I still have The Demon up in his holiday antlers. Um, it''s almost EASTER... probably time to change back to his regular summer pic!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
yes, and i get confused when members change them.
33.gif

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Avatars first, then screen names. And if it''s an avatar I don''t recognize, I check the name.
1.gif
Sometimes it throws me a bit when people change their names, but for the most part I can keep track of the folks I know!

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/26/2009 2:56:57 PM
Author: Gypsy
Thank you Linda and Hudson. And ditto to you BOTH!

Ms. Linda... do I need to venture over to colored stones to see what you have planned for that freaking gorgorous pair of pads in your av?

Those pads are three years old ha. I have them set into a pair of earrings. I just got tired of my other avatar picture, so I changed it. Thank you so much for the compliment though.

When we meet, I will kindly ask you to take pad pictures for me, so I can finally post them.
9.gif

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/26/2009 2:53:44 PM
Author: Linda W
Love your new one Layla. I also recognize posters by their avatars. If they change them, it just takes me a little bit to get used to the new ones.
I love Gypsy''s new av too, so cute! But I also love yours, Linda--that pair is positively scrumptious!
18.gif

...and maybe it''s very wrong of me, but threads like this always give me the itch to change my avatar.
12.gif

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/26/2009 2:59:18 PM
Author: Dee*Jay
I totally recognize people by their avatars first, then I look at the name.

ETA: LOL, I just realized that I still have The Demon up in his holiday antlers. Um, it''s almost EASTER... probably time to change back to his regular summer pic!

ha ha ha ha, I think so too Dee.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes...I recognize posters by their avatars. And I recognize posters I "know" by their names. Of course. But I really wish that it was illegal to change one's avatar. I suppose there should be some leeway, but I don't know what it should be. Maybe the former avatar would have to appear with the old one for a while! This used to make me crazy!!!!

Perhaps I am more visual than I realized! I am a reader...and I do spell well. So perhaps I used the avatars more than I realized that I did. If I could change anything on Pricescope, I'd ban the changing of avatars! I mean, couldn't people keep the same avatars and just decorate the pages on which they post?

AGBF
34.gif

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/26/2009 3:03:50 PM
Author: gwendolyn
Date: 3/26/2009 2:53:44 PM

Author: Linda W

I love Gypsy''s new av too, so cute! But I also love yours, Linda--that pair is positively scrumptious!
18.gif

Thank you so much Gwen. Believe me they look better in person. The avatar makes them look like they have huge windows LOL, they have itty bitty ones in person. Which is OK for me, as they were for earrings.

...and maybe it''s very wrong of me, but threads like this always give me the itch to change my avatar.
12.gif

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gypsy ... you''re wicked. And I like it.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
I just thought about it, and I have had the same av since February 12th, 2006.

I''m terribly boring . . . and like Gwen, this thread is really making me want to change my av.
3.gif

fleur-de-lis

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/26/2009 3:09:49 PM
Author: decodelighted

I also think Deco''s papillion avatars keep her out of trouble when she''s really calling it like she sees it. Sure, what she says may be true, and sometimes it may hurt to hear it, but who could possibly get upset at that sweet wittle itty-bitty happy puppy face???
28.gif

Erin

Ideal_Rock
Now that my bf is off his crutches, I think I''m gonna go ''old school'' for a while.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/26/2009 3:16:18 PM
Author: fleur-de-lis
Date: 3/26/2009 3:09:49 PM
Author: decodelighted
I also think Deco''s papillion avatars keep her out of trouble when she''s really calling it like she sees it. Sure, what she says may be true, and sometimes it may hurt to hear it, but who could possibly get upset at that sweet wittle itty-bitty happy puppy face???
28.gif
LOL. My secret weapon: cognitive dissonance
3.gif
... but, for the record, Tallulah is a *very* vicious puppy. Or she tries to pretend to be, especially when the cats try to muscle in on her wet food. She gets like a Rottweiller trembly seething thing happening along her jaw and makes the scariest growling sounds -- but its all for show. Even the cats don''t buy it. Poor dear.
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results