shape
carat
color
clarity

Do you prefer a slight purple/violet undertone in your sapphires?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
Do you prefer a slight purple/violet undertone in your sapphires?

I'm thinking I want the purest blue possible, but is this the "most" attractive way to go? Is a slight purple/violet tone desired? Would you see more purple in indoor light or outdoor?

Is the opposite of a purple/violet undertone a green undertone?

Thanks.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Hum...

I think with colored stones the more the stone is purely a primary color the better.

My stone is mostly blue with a slight purple violet undertone, and I like it a lot. I think that it is attractive and it is a great way to bring down the price of the stone without a significant sacrafice in beauty as I personally like purple. In my stone, I see much more purple in indoor/artifical light.

I personally would rather have a purple undertone than a green undertone. If you are looking at the stone for a possible collection, the purple undertone is more desired by people in the trade. However, you should always buy the colors that speek to you and you eye as you will be the one who has to look at them. If you like stones with green undertones better, than you should get those.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
I really think these are all personal preference type questions. If I was going for a blue sapphire, I''d probably lean more toward a violet undertone than green too.

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
Thank you, dear friends.
1.gif

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/30/2008 6:05:23 PM
Author: LtlFirecracker
Hum...

I think with colored stones the more the stone is purely a primary color the better.

My stone is mostly blue with a slight purple violet undertone, and I like it a lot. I think that it is attractive and it is a great way to bring down the price of the stone without a significant sacrafice in beauty as I personally like purple. In my stone, I see much more purple in indoor/artifical light.

I personally would rather have a purple undertone than a green undertone. If you are looking at the stone for a possible collection, the purple undertone is more desired by people in the trade. However, you should always buy the colors that speek to you and you eye as you will be the one who has to look at them. If you like stones with green undertones better, than you should get those.

What she said. (though I already know that Ltlfirecracker and I have very similar tastes in sapphires!)
2.gif

The other thing you want to watch for are the blues that get kind of greyed out....

LS

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Everything is a matter of personal preference. The trade likes a touch of violet or a pure blue hue. No greens and grays.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Personal taste.

I like very ultraviolet coloured sapphires - I''m not a blue person.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Definitely personal taste.

laurel25

Brilliant_Rock
I definitely lean more towards the violet/purple hued stones than the ones with green undertones, but as everyone said, it''s all a matter of personal preference.

heathernoel

Rough_Rock
I thought I liked the greener shades, but the sapphire I bought was blue with shades of purple. I love the depth of color that the purple gives it and am glad that''s what I chose. I see purple much more indoors.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results