shape
carat
color
clarity

Do you prefer a lighter-faced watch or a darker-faced watch?

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am going to return the Coach one I just bought I think, not in love. So Im back to looking for something in my budget ($250ish max). Stainless, prefer bracelet style band, would like day/date option, no need for chronographs, no blingy stuff....the Seiko I found that looks like a Rolex Datejust/DayDate thing seems to keep popping up with black face.

I also am in love with a Raymond Weil Traditional mans watch that is very similar to my holy grail of a Cartier Ballon Bleu, neither of which I can afford, even if I got it on Overstock.

So I dunno wtf to do at this point!

Lottie

Brilliant_Rock
Re: Do you prefer a lighter-faced watch or a darker-faced wa

For me it completely depends on the style of watch, I like both but think watches like Cartier Tanks look better with a white face and mannish watches look better with black face. Would you consider a Breil watch?

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock

I tend to prefer a light colored watch face, but it really depends on the watch.

What about this ESQ watch? Its fairly classic http://www.amazon.com/ESQ-Movado-07301367-Filmore-Stainless-Steel/dp/B003OCURUE/ref=sr_1_16?s=watches&ie=UTF8&qid=1316370332&sr=1-16

I also find Tissot watches to be very well made and you can probably find some in your price-range.

ETA: Sorry, just noticed you said you like bracelet style stainless bands. Disregard my suggestion!

ETA 2: This Tissot is pretty sharp. Do you like larger Men's style watches? http://www.amazon.com/Tissot-T52148131-T-Classic-Desire-Watch/dp/B000HDEAVK/ref=sr_1_146?s=watches&ie=UTF8&qid=1316371031&sr=1-146

kelpie

Ideal_Rock

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock

One of each! I've traditionally liked lighter faces (especially on tank style watches) but have really been loving the charcoal/nearly black face of my big menswear style chunky bracelet watch.

Maybe that's the deal -- bigger watches look better with neutral or darker faces ..... smaller watches stand out more with lighter faces that are easier to read???

Are you going big, bracelet menswear ... or more toned down ladies demure? Casual or dressy?

ETA: Weird thing I've noticed lately -- I'm starting to loathe roman numerals on watches! Which rules out most of my beloved Cartier "one day wish fors". SUPER WEIRD BRAIN LEAP all of sudden. Have decided that roman numerals are "trying too hard" ... HA!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock

Definitely mens size, there's not one damn thing about me that would count as "demure".

I really like the ESQ shown, though I prefer a metal band, and I might keep looking on Ebay. I am NOT a big ebay person, I pretty think think everyone on there is a huge conman, and its always all fake, so I tend to avoid.

The metal version of one shown above.

http://www.amazon.com/ESQ-Movado-07301386-Filmore-Stainless-Steel/dp/B004UC69DQ/ref=sr_1_30?s=watches&ie=UTF8&qid=1316372863&sr=1-30

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock

decodelighted|1316372914|3020236 said:
ETA: Weird thing I've noticed lately -- I'm starting to loathe roman numerals on watches! Which rules out most of my beloved Cartier "one day wish fors". SUPER WEIRD BRAIN LEAP all of sudden. Have decided that roman numerals are "trying too hard" ... HA!
lol I never thought about it at all.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock

I like light or bright colors.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I am a sucker for mother of pearl faces. I have two blue ones and a few white/multi-color. The few watches that I have that are
plain, I don't wear much. I have a couple of dark ones, but I think I prefer the light.

April20

Ideal_Rock

I've had both, though right now both my watches have light faces. I have a Tag with a light pink MOP face and a Raymond Weil with a white MOP face. I love both of them!

purplesilk

Ideal_Rock

Do you prefer a lighter-faced watch or a darker-faced watch?

I have both: I think there's no right answer, it depends on the kind of watch and on your mood when you're buying it.
I have a luxury watch and some everyday watches; my favourite ones are the CK watches because of:
high quality steel;
sapphire crystal ("cheap" watches usually have mineral crystals);
trendy design;
affordable price.

I usually prefer men's watches on my wrist, but those two are absolutely terrific:

ck braid.gif

ck hypnotic.jpg

LittleRiver

Shiny_Rock

That ESQ watch you posted looks great in person (I have seen it at Macy's).

I have both, but I actually find the dark face easier to read. I think that is because my white-faced watch has silver hour markers -- so not enough contrast between the markers and the face of the watch?

I have this Burberry (bought on Overstock): http://www.gemnation.com/watches/Burberry-Herringbone-BU1851-17140.html.

Burberry Herringbone Watch.jpg

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock

Yea this ESQ has a mineral face...Hm. I assume the Weil probably has sapphire, which also pushes the price way up.

I should probably wait on this til after I get back from Minnesota, because I haven't worn a watch in like 6 years and probably should start with a Swatch...

@LittleRiver:
Oh yay, Im glad it looks good, thank you!!! So it's not an online only which I was concerned about....I might call a couple locations today and see who has one in stock to try on.

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock

All Tissot have sapphire crystal and they're a reasonable price. I've had my T-Trend bracelet watch for 7 years without a problem so they're well made. I've found that they're one of the few cheaper brands that use sapphire crystal. The only downside is finding them in the US. They're all over Canada and Europe, but it seems like you have to order online and have a great jeweler if you're going to make it work for you.

purplesilk

Ideal_Rock

Why did you return your Coach watch? Had it the cheap look? Was it too large/small? Too heavy?

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock

The main reason was that I didn't like the big square block it looked like the face was put in. But it also didn't have the look of a Ballon Bleu or Rolex to me at all. I have Cartier Tastes on a Fossil budget.

I also really don't want to spend a ton on the look because I have no idea if Ill actually wear it.

purplesilk

Ideal_Rock

ame said:
I have Cartier Tastes on a Fossil budget.

:lol: We're in the same boat!!!

purplesilk

Ideal_Rock

When you're really fond of something special like the Cartier Ballon Blue or the Rolex Datejust, anything similar looks like rubbish.
I also agree with you that there's no reason in spending a lot of money on a watch not being sure if you're going to wear it.

Some years ago I was in your shoes: I was in love with a Cartier watch, but it was out of my budget.
Everthing similar didn't look OK to me, so I decided to buy something different: I bought my first CK watch and I did enjoy-still enjoy- it very much...now I can afford the Cartier I love, but I found I don't want to worry about scratching my watch and I don't want to hide it under my sleeves or leave it home when I'm travelling.
Plus tastes change over time...

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock

purplesilk|1316442421|3020623 said:
When you're really fond of something special like the Cartier Ballon Blue or the Rolex Datejust, anything similar looks like rubbish.
I'm not sure I agree 100%. Fourteen years ago I substituted the JLC and Cartier watches I thought I wanted with a simple, classic tank style Tiffany which had a similar look and I'm still thrilled with it. And my husband loves the Omegas that have a similar look to the Rolex Submariners. Actually prefers them. Soooooooo. I think you can replace a higher-end with mid-range with good results SOMETIMES. It is tricker when you're comparing a 5K-20K watches with $250 versions. (Or $50 versions for that matter!). But as long as you're not going for "look-alike" it totes possible to find something that looks way more expensive and feels luxe.

Look forward to see what you choose!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock

lol well ideally I would get a look alike. But that's not really possible. I am surprised no one has really copied this watch closer actually. Their others seem well copied.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock

I did find a few copies that looked almost identical. But they were from like "replica" companies and I didn't think they'd be like...functional for very long lol

purplesilk

Ideal_Rock

Sorry but I'm against replicas!!!
Better a genuine Swatch than a fake Cartier...no need to show off, just the pleasure of wearing something exclusive and perfect in every detail.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock

Oh Im not buying a replica, Im not going to support the counterfeit industry.

purplesilk

Ideal_Rock

ame said:
Oh Im not buying a replica, Im not going to support the counterfeit industry.
:appl:

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock

I'm not RECOMMENDING replicas! Just contesting the idea that no one is "knocking off" the style. PLENTY are. Just not subtly enough I guess. HA.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock

I called the two "main" Macy's here and neither has those two watches available (the Weil or the ESQ). I might check a few other places around here but both said we were not an "important enough city" for the "good stuff" to come here. Unfortunately true. So I might go see what's available one day, otherwise Ill see what I find at Mall of America or something. Seikos seem really high quality for such a low price, so I might just buy some cheap basic one for a while til I get used to it.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock

purplesilk

Ideal_Rock

decodelighted said:
I'm not RECOMMENDING replicas! Just contesting the idea that no one is "knocking off" the style. PLENTY are. Just not subtly enough I guess. HA.

I was contesting the fact that cheap materials and poor job cannot compete with high quality materials and skilled labour.
That being said, I'm with you when you say you can find plenty stuff in the style you like, but I think that when your heart is set on a charateristic luxury watch and you can't buy it, it's better not to search for a copy because it can't be at the same quality level...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results