shape
carat
color
clarity

Do you own your holy grail ring?

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You’re better than me. I think I might be a complete floozy/hussy/tart/call me what you will, but it’s hard to commit to just one ring. Variety is the spice of life.
:lol: :lol::lol:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don’t think it’s possible for me to have one holy grail ring. I think I am just not made that way, but a holy grail collection, now that’s another story entirely...

I like the way you think @Yelena :kiss2:
And that takes the pressure off when you think of a collection vs one piece. The best of all worlds.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I dont have my HG...I dont even know what my HG is??? It may be a larger OEC!

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not anymore, I had to sell it, but hopefully another one will come my way

mommylawyer

Brilliant_Rock

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes I finally do too! I never thought I was a one ring girl and I am still not, I enjoy wearing and rotating many others too.
Am I still ecstatic? Yes and no. I think I still cannot believe it! It feels bizarre in a way, the opportunity presented itself so suddenly. I have owned the stone since August 14 and the ring since September 7. So yeah very new.
Most people do not know the value so in a way she is not flashy. Perfectly handmade three stone cathedral setting. She is a 1,05 ct fancy blue.

PICTURES!!!!

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes!

It's frivolous, over the top and I probably paid way more than I should but I've never seen another one like it and will never love another ring the way I love it.

It's my "If I could have anything I want and don't need to be sensible" ring

00100lPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20191003134822509_COVER.jpg

00100lPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20191003134741061_COVER.jpg

IMG_20191003_113001.jpg

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:-o

Goodness me.....

And now I'm about to say something sacrilegious...That ring would be too big for me.

o_O

This is still my holy grail - my dream-come-reality - The One That Keeps Me Up At Night...

Ruby ring.jpeg

WTH!!!!

You own that???? Where is the thread???? I need the thread!!!!!!

That's just..... beyond fabulous!

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is a tough question, as like @LLJsmom I'm not actually sure what my HG is anymore?? For ever it has been a classic Tiffany round solitaire around the 1.5ct mark, set in the platinum knife edge.

But since discovering PS I have developed a huge love for a beautifully cut, clean, bright OEC solitaire. They are SO romantic & historical! Maybe one day I will be lucky enough to own both.

In the meantime, my lovely pear cut DEFINITELY is the most beautiful diamond I have ever seen & I know i'm lucky to have such an (almost) perfect stone (D VS2).

lala646

Brilliant_Rock
Nope. The two rings which make my heart truly skip a beat are unattainable antiques. I know there are repros of the Tiffany marquise available, but none achieve that gorgeous patina of age and history.

1094c10eb0f81208fa03127c33460458.jpg

81e11bb7e98c7b7779b83668e45f3152.jpg

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
WTH!!!!

You own that???? Where is the thread???? I need the thread!!!!!!

That's just..... beyond fabulous!

Good lord, no, @mellowyellowgirl! If you read the previous comments, you'll see that a large ruby is my HG, but that I don't own my holy grail - and never will! The one in the photo sold at Christies about 3 years ago. Estimated price range was 10-12 million!

A girl can dream tho,.....

Good lord, no, @mellowyellowgirl! If you read the previous comments, you'll see that a large ruby is my HG, but that I don't own my holy grail - and never will! The one in the photo sold at Christies about 3 years ago. Estimated price range was 10-12 million!

Just for discussion’s sake, would you be open to recreating this ring (which is STUNNING btw, you have great taste) with less expensive materials? For eg heated/treated ruby, which would bring the price tag down significantly. Or would you rather not have it - ie the quality of the stone is what makes it HG status for you?

I ask because as you mentioned, that ring is an eye watering price that few can afford without mortgaging both kidneys, a liver and possibly loaning out a limb or two, but to have it recreated with less expensive materials would be possible at a lower price point (probably still a high price though). You could end up with something that looks (almost?) the same to the eye as well.

I’ll generalise the question to others as well actually - if your otherwise unaffordable HG could be recreated (with some compromise) at a more palatable price, would you do it, or would you rather not have an approximation of the thing?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just for discussion’s sake, would you be open to recreating this ring (which is STUNNING btw, you have great taste) with less expensive materials? For eg heated/treated ruby, which would bring the price tag down significantly. Or would you rather not have it - ie the quality of the stone is what makes it HG status for you?

I ask because as you mentioned, that ring is an eye watering price that few can afford without mortgaging both kidneys, a liver and possibly loaning out a limb or two, but to have it recreated with less expensive materials would be possible at a lower price point (probably still a high price though). You could end up with something that looks (almost?) the same to the eye as well.

I’ll generalise the question to others as well actually - if your otherwise unaffordable HG could be recreated (with some compromise) at a more palatable price, would you do it, or would you rather not have an approximation of the thing?

I *snorted* my tea - what an... evocative... turn of phrase :lol:

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Back in the day? Absolutely. But now? I don't think so. I'm done with my major purchases. I'd like to get to a 4ct G VS1 some day, and set it as a solitaire. Other than that, apart from setting loose stones I already own - I'm out.

xxxxxx

Brilliant_Rock
Back in the day? Absolutely. But now? I don't think so. I'm done with my major purchases. I'd like to get to a 4ct G VS1 some day, and set it as a solitaire. Other than that, apart from setting loose stones I already own - I'm out.

Maybe I misread but I think I read somewhere that you didn’t like the 4ct solitaire you had on you finger. And that a solitaire for you personally lacks something to be seen as a „complete“ ring. I love a solitaire but I always think back to that statement to question if I really do love a solitaire. So please enlighten me about your updated take on a 4ct solitaire (: I love hearing the opinions of such experts like you.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I won’t ever have a HG.
If I had the most perfect ruby- it would be a diamond.
if I had the most perfect diamond- it wouldn’t be a sapphire.
If I had a custom ring made exactly to my specs it would never be that one I found in eBay randomly that is quirky and unique.
I will just continue to hoard rings that are perfect versions of what they are and when something else comes along I will buy that too

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I don't have my holy grail diamond yet, but I don't know that I ever will. There are so many beautiful rings out there, that I don't think there is "THE ONE". That being said, I'm content with what I have now and I'm not endlessly searching for my HG.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe I misread but I think I read somewhere that you didn’t like the 4ct solitaire you had on you finger. And that a solitaire for you personally lacks something to be seen as a „complete“ ring. I love a solitaire but I always think back to that statement to question if I really do love a solitaire. So please enlighten me about your updated take on a 4ct solitaire (: I love hearing the opinions of such experts like you.

The problem with the 4ct stone I had was it was too tinted. I liked the setting a lot. I also loved my 2.15ct soli I had, but wanted lager and more detail. But at 4ct, in my opinion, detail becomes largely irrelevant, tho that doesn't rule out detail in the basket, on the shank, and even a halo. When I say solitaire, I'm mainly saying as opposed to a three stone. Tint, on the other hand, becomes more noticeable. Also, a 3 stone with a 4ct center, in my opinion, starts to become not large but, rather, just ostentatious.

My main issue, tho with mine was the tint.

As for general detail in the ring, I now have other rings to scratch that itch. My two favorite rings were both solitaires by my estimation, but both had side stones - and one had quite substantial side stones.

Just because it's a solitaire doesn't mean it has to be plain.

Yimmers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I will start bc I think I have finally finally achieved it. My stone is a 2.9 E SI1 that is super eye clean. Last week by some fortune of fate a lovely PSer listed her Victor Canera Emilya cathedral and in no time, I was wearing my dream setting with a stone that I never imagined that I could own. And tbh, i don’t even know how to feel! E4C49485-A9D3-4296-99DA-A70727156F3A.jpeg

I didn't know you purchased that setting! Awesome that you got your dream setting!

As for the question itself - no, I don't have my Holy Grail. There would be some 4+ carat AVC or similar type cut, slightly enlongated. I don't know what my HG setting would be yet.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Haha whoops!

I saw that ring, thought you owned it (and that you often looked at it in the middle of the night which is understandable) and got super excited over the prospect that there was a thread I missed completely!

asterismdispersion

Shiny_Rock
No, I don't have my holy grail ring, which would be an unheated Burmese star ruby. One with an attractive, primarily red color in a roundish oval shape. Set with old cut diamonds in platinum, art deco style. I doubt that I'll ever find and spend on such a ring!

voce

Ideal_Rock
Yes, my holy grail ring(s) are here. They are: that neon blue paraiba with a CS halo, the Jedi spinel in a lotus flower inspired setting, the ruby in a five-stone setting, and the small blue sapphire with kite diamonds all in halo. If I had to pick a fifth, it would be that tiny but mighty Mahenge spinel on the bottom right. Looking at them still makes me ecstatic. I had a significant role in the design of three of these five, so of course they mean lots to me. IMG_20200104_163457.jpg

Last edited:

Rons Wolfe

Shiny_Rock
Yes, I do. I have other nice diamonds, ACA's, BGD's, etc. But my dream ring was an Eightstar in a nice setting. Not only do I have that now, it was given to me as my engagement ring, so it means SO much more to me now.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results