carat
color
clarity

Do you look the part?

cnspotts

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/25/2010 12:47:12 PM
Author: fleur-de-lis
After all these prior posts, it seems I am in the minority-- I do look the part.

FWIW, I do not think tattoos wholesale eliminate someone from looking the part; there is quite a range in what inksters can create. I myself am tattoo-free, but some tattoos I see coming out of WeHo are *extremely* artistic and reflect of many hours of dedication to an exacting pursuit of perfection-- and aren''t those the same traits which the most ardent jewelry-lovers often possess as well?
With my skin exposed you''d never think I was interested in good diamonds and jewely but I look super "normal" with my regular clothes on.

So...it should be no surprise to anyone as you said so much planning and thought went into my rings, as is my "ink" is currently. I am very creative and a BIG DIY''r, everything is a canvas to me including my right shoulder, right side of my back/side & hip which is currently undergoing a work of INK. My artist is creating a Japanese garden with koi, lotus, orchids and a laughing Buddha tattoo with my directions and input. It will be amazing when it''s done! I plan to have professional artsy portraits done by a local photogragher client of mine for wall art in my home when it''s all complete and healed. I will also cut & donate my hair which I''ve been growing out for this project, it''s now almost to my waist
23.gif
. For now it will be many more sessions...Sorry no photos until it is done.

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/4/2010 2:09:03 PM
Author: LittleGreyKitten
I live in Seattle, where ''dressed up'' means you weare the fleece without the stains on it
20.gif
. NOBODY dresses nice here!
I beg to differ, but I live on the eastside.
9.gif
9.gif

LGK

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/4/2010 2:30:47 PM
Author: sunnyd

Date: 6/4/2010 2:09:03 PM
Author: LittleGreyKitten
I live in Seattle, where ''dressed up'' means you weare the fleece without the stains on it
20.gif
. NOBODY dresses nice here!
I beg to differ, but I live on the eastside.
9.gif
9.gif
Heh, I never spend time on the Eastside, so that makes sense.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
I have to say, I don''t look the part. I look like someone from my town. We dress very casual, laid back here. Lots of jeans, t shirts, flip flops, shorts... Plus I ride... so lots of boots too...

kittybean

Ideal_Rock
For the most part, I think my clothing and accessories "look the part." I love clothes, and I love to dress up. I wear a suit to work every day, and on the weekends, I wear a lot of dresses with cute sandals or boots. However, I am very petite, so people often think I''m a lot younger than I really am. I get "you''re much too young to be a lawyer/homeowner/married!" all the time.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
no, i don''t.
i wear extreme casual attire and drive a 1996 honda accord ex.....or the 1995 ford F-150......
when i add up the amount spent on the jewelry i wear when i leave the house [whether it be to the garden center or dinner at a nice restaurant], i realize that i''m not quite the simple person i appear overall.

mz

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do I look the part? Yes. My age (51) and I live in a posh Chicago suburb so it would not look at all strange for me to have large diamonds. If I did wear super large fakes, no one would ever question that I could afford them. Truth is, I couldn''t.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
I don''t know?

I live in a small town out in the country, work in a helping profession in a small community hospital and (if I''m not working) I''m in jeans, T''s and flip-flops. Probably if anyone even thought about it, they might think my diamond is fake... because honestly, people in general here just ain''t that into jewelry!!!
1.gif

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Hmnnn. Interesting question..

Sure. I think I look the part for the jewelery that I own and wear.

I dress fairly modestly, usually skinny dark jeans and v-neck sweater or a cardigan. My jewelery is equally as modest, quarter carat twc studs, a little over a half carat ruby ring, a Tiffany Nature ring, and pendants on occasion.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
nope... i don''t wear much jewelry at all, but i am typically a jeans and flip flops kinda gal or in the summer tanks and skirts and flip flops hehe. i also probably don''t dress my age but that''s another topic.

brazen_irish_hussy

Ideal_Rock
Not really. Colorado (outside of the ski towns) is really more about comfort and durability, whereas I wear heels and slacks rather than flip flops or cowboy boots and jeans.
I am also a grad student at a school known for its agricultural work, so not a high fashion area.
Finally, I am in archaeology, which is a group really not known for their high fashion ideals. I have been voted the best dressed arch student 2 years in a row.

So to recap, I wear heels most of the time, my casual and work wardrobe are the same and I do not own a single pair of jeans. I also think fashion peaked in the first half of the 20th century and I have a lot of vintage inspired pieces. I imagine I look very much what one might expect for a pricescoper my age, but not like pretty much anyone else around me except my mom and DH who are well dressed. My dad wears cowboy boots with his suits to work everyday, but it suits his personality so well we forgive him.

April20

Ideal_Rock
I think I do. I am almost always "put together" when I leave the house, which for me equals nice clothes, accessories, good shoes and jewels. I rarely wear jeans- prefer skirts and sundresses.

Steel

Ideal_Rock
I used to; but I used to have a professional job so wore classic business suits every day. Now I look like a builder; for obvious reasons.
1.gif

les12

Shiny_Rock
I like to think I do. I have a degree in Fashion Merchandising, so while I don''t spend a fortune on clothing, I try to wear nice things. Jcrew or anthro, etc. I very rarely leave the house without makeup. My only fine jewelry is my engagement ring and wedding band. Mind you, my ring is not at all huge, and I doubt anyone would think it was fake because it''s antique and very art deco, not really something that I''d think would be simulated.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I drive decent car. it''s a Nissan Altima Hybrid, 2009 so pretty new. But I''m only 24 and I''m a teacher in Brooklyn. I teach children with severe disabilities so my clothing is very casual, usually just jeans, a t-shirt and a sweatshirt. I wear my hair pulled back in a bun and usually little or no make-up. Part of this has to do with the area where I work, I do not want to attract any attention. I do not think I look like a person who is walking around wearing several diamond pieces everyday, I would assume that most people who see me think they''re fake. I used to work in a very upscale school district on Long Island where my jewelry was considered "starter". I used to dress much nicer and where make-up when I worked there because it was the norm. I guess I used to look the part but not anymore!

missydebby

Brilliant_Rock
Great question... It''s really easy whilst on PS to think everyone with these gorgeous diamonds are Manhattan socialites. In fact, I''m really surprised at how many PS''ers are very laid back.

Me, well I''m trying my best to pull things together better, but I almost never wear make-up or do much with my hair. I have a pixie hair style, which is just brush and go, but I don''t dye it and am currently working on getting the full Walter Chroncite.

I only wear workout clothes to work out, but other than that, it''s very casual. I try to polish it up a little with cute little 3/4 sleeve sweaters and awesome shoes... not necessarily expensive shoes, but awesome platforms and great colors.

I''m an artist/painter and just wear a full apron to protect the clothes. And am just careful with getting crud on my hands. (I''m not one of those splash paint all over and call it art type artists!
3.gif
)

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
When I go to work (and it''s a business day), I probably do...I wear wide leg jeans with cute tops (BR or Gap) with cute shoes...nothing fancy, but appropriate. I carry a nice purse, I wear my diamond studs and wedding set.

When I''m home, or out shopping...absolutely not. I''m usually Gap Lounge wear with vintage style tee-shirts and flip flops. Nothing fancy for me. I like being comfortable.

ringthings

Shiny_Rock
What an interesting topic.

Before this site, I rarely noticed other people's jewelry. (Yes, I really think we overestimate how much people around us notice (more like don't notice) our jewelry).

Do I look the part? I wouldn't say I have nice clothes or nice stuff, but I try to have class, take care of what I do have, and look decent.
(Ok, so I rarely fix my hair, let alone dry it. And, flip flops are usually my shoe of choice.) I try to look decent, or at least clean. I used to wear suits every day- weekday, weekend, class, work, car wash, grocery shopping, whatever. It's nice to dress up, know you look presentable, and rock the look. But, is it necessary? No. Do I want to look high end? No. Do I want to look classy, tasteful, and elegant? Probably. Sometimes I wear my "nice" jewelry under hoodies, visible only to me.

Some of the wealthiest people that I've known didn't seem wealthy at all. Nice, but tasteful houses, cars, clothes... but I wouldn't have ever guessed they had wealth. Same with some of the more educated people that I've known. Always clean, well-dressed (in terms of quality, not designer clothes), well mannered, educated, elegantly styled (in home decor and clothing). A lot of people around my age (students) seem to go for designer labels to try to have a certain image, whether that's trendy jewelry, clothes, coffee, or water. Some fall for trends, whether or not those trends look tasteful or classy or chic. I think true class and elegance isn't about designer labels or how much your belongings cost, but how you present yourself, and how well you maintain what you have (i.e., clean and tastefully decorated house, clean car, clean shoes, etc.).

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
Oh gosh no! When I go to school I am in a sweatshirt/sweatpants/yoga pants constantly. On the weekends, *maybe* but thats because I actually dress up a little bit/do my make-up/hair. Weekdays, forget about it. People probably think I'm 17 and its fake :sun:

The car thing is a different story. We're in SO's car a lot and when people see the car I think they expect to see the expensive watches on him and bling bling on me.

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
Nope

I wear scrubs or casual clothes to work

I dress up rarely but I like my designer handbags and shoes when I do.

A cute DVF dress, heels and a designer handbag is my dressy look.

But honestly, I don't have the time to dress up on a daily basis.

I'm sure lots of people will think my 3 stone ring with the 2.5 ct centre is a fake, but my 1 ct cushion is small enough to be thought real!

Tanzigrrl

Brilliant_Rock
I'm told that I do "look the part." You see, almost all of my friends are artists/hippie types so my professional wear (Ann Taylor, Nordstrom, etc.) and decent handbags (Coach, Dooney & Bourke, Kate Spade) seems "all dressed up" to most of them. I always wear fine jewelry. They giggle at me for this. Even with jeans and a sweater, I have on diamond hoops and a nice ring on each hand. I'm known for my jewelry and they all know I'm in the GG GIA program. I live in a college town so most of the people here are college kids or faculty. I like to dress neatly and nicely and I absolutely love jewels. I did the hippie thing years ago in college, I'm just kind of all grown up now. But, luckily they're cool with my style and I'm cool with theirs.

catwalk82

Shiny_Rock
I would go with a big, fat "NO" on this one! When I work, I have on nice clothes and have on makeup-since I am in sales i have to look good. When I am not at work, I'm that lady with black shorts that are covered in dog hair and slobber (i work with dog rescue) and a baggy t-shirt with no makeup and my hair pulled back. I dress to be comfortable so I would say that most people are surprised when they see my ring.

Beacon

Ideal_Rock
I have a split personality :twirl: Sometimes I think I look like a bag lady and other times I look like a person who would be interested in diamonds.

To the credit of the fine store sales associates in my area, I have never been treated badly, even when I am wearing the most awful clothes (very awful) and carrying a black nylon purse from Target. However I recently shopped at Louis Vuitton wearing my better looking clothes and they treated me so beautifully, bringing me sparkling water, very gracious, etc. This I would not expect in my bag lady look.

Amber St. Clare

Brilliant_Rock
Do I "look the part?" hhmmm interesting question.

Since I'm unemployed I'm usually dressed in "comfort clothes"--jeans and tee shirts and now that it's getting colder zippered sweatshirts during the day. I usually wear make-up except if I'm going to the gym, then I figure why bother. But if I'm meeting someone for lunch then I do make an effort to pull myself together and the clothes do match the jewelry--same as if the husband and I are going out for the evening. Nice dress jeans, jackets, pretty tops or wrap dresses.

Now does our LIFESTYLE match my jewelry collection? Hell no. We live in a modest, and I do mean modest home. My husband drives an 11 year old Saturn mine is 3 years old. Our son in STILL trying to find a job in the area of his Masters Degree and lives in a room that looks like your average college dorm {he still lives with us}. He drives a car that is 12 years old and was a hand me down from his grandmother. Our monetary focus is to get our humble little abode's mortgage paid off and then do some improvements without incurring any further debt. Believe it or not, I'm perfectly happy with my sparklie collection.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results