shape
carat
color
clarity

Do you look the part?

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I dress nicely to go out.. But once I am home?? I am in sweats and a cute sweater... I like being comfy... So if you knocked on my door in the afternoon. I wouldn''t look the part. And that''s fine by me!!!!
3.gif

And once I am home for the day, all jewelry is off, well I wear earrings.. But the whole ering set is off and bangles, necklace etc...

I am really a simple person when it comes down to it.
5.gif

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock
What "The Part"?

Diamonds are ubiquitous in North America.

I wear diamonds, therefore I look the part.

Diamonds aren''t particulairly classy - that''s mostly clever marketing.

Don''t shoot me! I love Diamonds and they''re gorgeous, but there is such huge price variation that I don''t consider them to be a specific status symbol
e.g. (2ct clarity enhanced I I3 frozen spit vs .5ct D IF) Most people aren''t going to look close enough to know that the big rock is less posh than the little one.

The abundance of CZ (especialy large ones) out there has realy desensatized the population to the visual impact of diamonds.

Lula

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/25/2010 1:46:23 PM
Author: Dancing Fire
no i don't...

i drive a 2001 Toyota truck,wear a $30 pair of sneakers,$25 pair of pants,$5 T shirts,but then i don't have a $20k ring on my finger either.
39.gif

No, but you have a 20+K watch on your wrist!

gardengloves

Brilliant_Rock
I dress very simple, turtle neck , pleated skirts weekdays, sometimes a dress and sweater , lots of grey, black, beige and navy, cream and white in summer- jeans and tee weekends, gotta nice ring and dress it up with some strands of pearls but it' s all pretty low key. I'm sure everyone thinks my ring is a fake, but that's ok, it's not.

PilsnPinkysMom

Brilliant_Rock
Yoga pants and t-shirts... or... Baggy jeans and band t-shirts? I''d say no
2.gif
I also look like I''m 15, so that doesn''t help.

Not that my stones are flashy or over the top (though I do long for some that fit that description
11.gif
), but I''m sure onlookers that notice my bling think it''s a bit silly for someone "my age" to own it. This is assuming they think I''m a teeny bopper and not a 20-something young professional.

reader

Brilliant_Rock
Hummm, that would be a resounding NO on my part. I work in a very blue collar environment. My hands are constantly cut up and dried out from the mail, and my nails split constantly.

At work, I wear a postal themed or funny t-shirt in dark colors, dark jeans, and very battered, will never see white again tennis shoes. Hair gets a trim a few times a year, and is usually wet! Sunglasses were an on the road present from a friend, and keep my hair out of my eyes. I do wear my rings, and rubber gloves. Also wear a huge, obnoxious magenta watch and my earrings.

When I go out, its usually something vintage and funky as close to my size as I can find. I notice I wear a lot of black or brown. I''m style clueless. I don''t like to carry purses. I drive over ten year old VW bugs.

I''d like to have a sense of style but I don''t see it happening anytime soon.

CaliSun

Shiny_Rock
Nah. I am very low maintenance. I take mass transit to work, don''t drive, dress professionally for work. Not big on makeup either. When I''m not at work, it''s jeans and tees. Gotta love California casual !
Honestly, my wedding set is just about the most formal thing I own. Putting them on every day makes me feel all dressed up - even when I''m lounging around! Ahh the power of diamonds!!

purselover

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/25/2010 4:41:35 PM
Author: luckyme502
I think I probably do look the part. I have naturally curly hair, so even when I do nothing with it it looks like I did. I keep my nails manicured at all times, in the summer, my feet are always pedicured. I should probably own stock in Coach, I don''t think I ever carry a bag that isn''t Coach and they have to be leather or suede, not any other material. I always wear my diamond stud earrings. I wear clothes from Old Navy, but I don''t think that matters so much. I try to always look put together. I also have a shoe fetish. Over 60 pairs right now, and I just had a shoe purge when we moved into our new house in August. So, my shoes, whether expensive or not, always coordinate with what I am wearing. Like right now my favorite thing to wear is a pair of shinny zebra print ballet flats, jeans, a tank top and a very fitted black 3/4 length sleeve hoodie. Perfect for the weather right now! I usually wear make-up. I drive a 2000 Honda Accord; however, we don''t own a flat panel TV, a blueray player, we are not into electronics. We have nice furniture though. I think it is just where your priorities are.
that''s too funny about coach DH bought me a few shares for valentine''s day! It''s been doing pretty well
1.gif

Cinna

Shiny_Rock
Hmm...

on weekends, most definitely. I never go out without makeup/heels, and always dressy.

However on weekdays at work I wear not the best work clothes. Anytime I speak with the people I need to outside our company, it''s either through the phone or my co-workers who are all computer engineers, and they are all men as well. I work t my desk most of the day except for meetings and I care more for comfort than looks. No makeup, but as long as it''s not considered casual and businesslike I''m good. I wasn''t like this at my previous jobs but this one my work is just so chained to my desk. So not at work
3.gif

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
It depends where I''m going. If I''m in college I dress down and I''m sure that people think my diamond might be fake. On a night out I like dressing up so I''m sure I look more the part then.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, I always carry nice designer handbags, but that''s about it. I don''t dress up or wear make up. Whenever I go into jewelry stores, I think they assume I don''t have any real money to spend. I''m sure some people think my upgraded diamond is a fake.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m quite sure I don''t. I don''t wear much makeup and I avoid the latest trends in hair. I love my birkenstocks and when it''s cold I WILL wear socks with them, fashionistas be damned! We never buy brand new cars because we think the drive-off-the-lot-fee is ridiculous. We are pretty modest about most things, like hotels etc. The thing is, we COULD afford all of these things (well maybe not all at once lol) but I just cannot embrace the over the top lifestyle. It seems unnecessary and too far over the hedonistic line for me. Had I not found PS I''m quite sure that a 3/4 carat mall stone would have been everything I ever dreamed of... poor dh when I pointed to the 2.71 carat stone I wanted hahaha And now I want MORE!!!!! But everything else is the same. Driving a new car doesn''t make me want to buy one lol

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 3/25/2010 9:03:13 PM
Author: HopeDream
What ''The Part''?

Diamonds are ubiquitous in North America.

I wear diamonds, therefore I look the part.

Diamonds aren''t particulairly classy - that''s mostly clever marketing.

Don''t shoot me! I love Diamonds and they''re gorgeous, but there is such huge price variation that I don''t consider them to be a specific status symbol

e.g. (2ct clarity enhanced I I3 frozen spit vs .5ct D IF) Most people aren''t going to look close enough to know that the big rock is less posh than the little one.

The abundance of CZ (especialy large ones) out there has realy desensatized the population to the visual impact of diamonds.

Well said, HopeDream!

I''d say I look "the part," but I''d say I looked it long before I had diamonds, because I was getting told that I had "airs" before I was out of elementary school. Good self esteem, I haz it!
41.gif

That said, while I don''t own sweats, sneakers, flats, or Uggs, and while I''m always put together and generally nicely made up, I also love my shiny costume jewelry - big earrings, Indian-style necklaces, enormous, ornate confections of all compositions. So does anybody looking at me necessarily know which pieces are real and which are fake? Probably not. But I''m guessing they can tell I have a certain je ne sais quois ....

bebe

Ideal_Rock
I''m pretty much like Kaleigh

If I''m going out, then yeah, I try to look nice, ya never know who you might run into, ;-)

But once home, it''s sweats and ponytail! And the bling comes off.

joxxxelyn

Shiny_Rock
"I''m sure a stranger would assume the rock is tacky fake bling from WalMart."

LOL. This reminds of the fact that while I don''t look the part, I always hope for that secret gemologist to spot my diamonds and think "oooh."

wsu12

Brilliant_Rock
I think I do...at three years old I said this to my mother.."I cannot buckle my safety belt, it will wrinkle my dress". You get the idea.

I really like wearing make-up, having nice hygiene and grooming. I majored in Fashion Merchandising in college and have always loved being fashion forward/trend right. With that said, I''m more Tory Burch less Christian Louboutin. I feel better about myself when I put some effort into how I look, then again when I am at home I have PJ''s on 90% of the time.

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/26/2010 4:57:22 PM
Author: Laila619
Well, I always carry nice designer handbags, but that''s about it. I don''t dress up or wear make up. Whenever I go into jewelry stores, I think they assume I don''t have any real money to spend. I''m sure some people think my upgraded diamond is a fake.
Me, too! I get lots of compliments on my Coach purse!

When I was working, I dressed up and always received comments about my jewelry. I would always get a "warm greeting" from SAs in stores.

Now that I''m on a disability retirement, and look very different, I seldom get the attention that I used to get. Fine with me.

Lori

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/25/2010 8:14:01 PM
Author: Kaleigh
I dress nicely to go out.. But once I am home?? I am in sweats and a cute sweater... I like being comfy... So if you knocked on my door in the afternoon. I wouldn't look the part. And that's fine by me!!!!
3.gif

And once I am home for the day, all jewelry is off, well I wear earrings.. But the whole ering set is off and bangles, necklace etc...

I am really a simple person when it comes down to it.
5.gif

Huge ditto. When I go to work or go out I am always dressed nicely. However, when I get home off come the nice clothes and all my jewelry and on come my sweat pants and a sweater or top and clogs. And ponytail and glasses. So if you ring my bell you are now warned.

9.gif

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/25/2010 1:33:46 PM
Author: Catmom
I probably look the part. First, I'm older so that always helps. I'm retired now but always dressed professional so even now that I wear jeans it's still with heels and a nice top or sweater and I drive a higher end car. I have been known to wear a lot of flip flops in the summer though. What I have on has never stopped me wearing my jewelry. My philosophy is why have it if you're not going to wear it? Although I do have to say that these days I have toned it down some.
I agree with Catmom. I probably do look the part
1.gif
I'm older and I do think that makes a difference. Unless I'm going out someplace dressy, I have my "uniform." Designer jeans with a white tee shirt [or something similar], a fitted black blazer and mid high heel black boots. I carry a good handbag, from an English designer. I change out the boot for heels and wear an ivory raw silk jacket in the warmer weather. Sometimes I wear a silk scarf. I do get manicures and pedis and get my hair done every five weeks. I also like sundresses that are flowy, but not "hippy" style. I do wear my jewelry, when I go out. I also drive a higher end car. My DH complains that I'm too dressed up when we go out to do errands. He's probably right. When I'm home, it's a different story. Give me my snuggie and jammies
9.gif

whitby_2773

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/27/2010 12:32:58 PM
Author: risingsun

I probably look the part. First, I'm older so that always helps. I'm retired now but always dressed professional so even now that I wear jeans it's still with heels and a nice top or sweater and I drive a higher end car. I have been known to wear a lot of flip flops in the summer though. What I have on has never stopped me wearing my jewelry. My philosophy is why have it if you're not going to wear it? Although I do have to say that these days I have toned it down some.
1.gif
I'm older and I do think that makes a difference. Unless I'm going out someplace dressy, I have my 'uniform.' Designer jeans with a white tee shirt [or something similar], a fitted black blazer and mid high heel black boots. I carry a good handbag, from an English designer. I change out the boot for heels and wear an ivory raw silk jacket in the warmer weather. Sometimes I wear a silk scarf. I do get manicures and pedis and get my hair done every five weeks. I also like sundresses that are flowy, but not 'hippy' style. I do wear my jewelry, when I go out. I also drive a higher end car. My DH complains that I'm too dressed up when we go out to do errands. He's probably right. When I'm home, it's a different story. Give me my snuggie and jammies
9.gif

*sigh*

you sound so well put together....

i would look a *lot* better if everything i wore wasn't covered with a liberal sprinkling of dog hair. and yes - i brush. i have clothes brushes everywhere, in fact! but there's dog hair in the car, in my handbags, EVERYwhere. sends me mental to arrive places...then find dog hair on my black wool pants, for example...

i own a truckload of black - black pants, black cashmere sweaters, cardigans,even black cashmere dresses. TWO HAIRS on this stuff stands out like a beacon. i'm as careful as i can be,but....

7.gif

Sky56

Brilliant_Rock
I don''t look the part. I wear $7 K-Mart jeans and drive an old car with scratches. For me, with gemstones, nothing surpasses the look of beautiful well-cut diamonds. Sometimes my hands are loaded up with them as I like to look at sparkling fireballs.

Yimmers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Haha, some of the comments crack me up.

At work, yes, I do look the part. Business casual is the minimum requirement, although we can wear jeans on Friday. At court, suits are mandatory. That doesn''t stop people from wearing crocs with their suits (!!)

I do carry designer bags and I love shoes. I have a rep for my choice of footwear, most of it being designer, and a lot are heels. I have a hard time finding flats if they aren''t sneakers. Most of my clothes are not high end designer (barring jeans), but range from boutiques to Banana Republic and J Crew. Running errands or seeing friends, I''m in jeans and casual tops. I don''t wear a lot of makeup and rarely do mani/pedis. Most of my other jewelry is costume. At home, I''m in comfy lounge wear and glasses. Heck, I''m monitoring a phone depo in my jammies :)

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/27/2010 12:57:35 PM
Author: whitby_2773

Date: 3/27/2010 12:32:58 PM
Author: risingsun

1.gif
I'm older and I do think that makes a difference. Unless I'm going out someplace dressy, I have my 'uniform.' Designer jeans with a white tee shirt [or something similar], a fitted black blazer and mid high heel black boots. I carry a good handbag, from an English designer. I change out the boot for heels and wear an ivory raw silk jacket in the warmer weather. Sometimes I wear a silk scarf. I do get manicures and pedis and get my hair done every five weeks. I also like sundresses that are flowy, but not 'hippy' style. I do wear my jewelry, when I go out. I also drive a higher end car. My DH complains that I'm too dressed up when we go out to do errands. He's probably right. When I'm home, it's a different story. Give me my snuggie and jammies
9.gif

*sigh*

you sound so well put together....

i would look a *lot* better if everything i wore wasn't covered with a liberal sprinkling of dog hair. and yes - i brush. i have clothes brushes everywhere, in fact! but there's dog hair in the car, in my handbags, EVERYwhere. sends me mental to arrive places...then find dog hair on my black wool pants, for example...

i own a truckload of black - black pants, black cashmere sweaters, cardigans,even black cashmere dresses. TWO HAIRS on this stuff stands out like a beacon. i'm as careful as i can be,but....

7.gif
Anything in black has been tested for fur resistance! I have black pieces that are so bad--after a trip to the cleaners--that they have to be thrown out. I'm a black, white, ivory, and tan type person. I carry a clothing brush in my bag. I do try to look pulled together when I'm going to be out in public. When I'm at home, what you see is what you get. Sometimes it's pretty scary
32.gif
When Charlie, my CKCS, and I were training in obedience and agility, I was a fashion riot
3.gif

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/25/2010 1:50:50 PM
Author: whitby_2773
i do - on occasion. and on occasion - not.

yesterday in Single Stone i was wearing a baggy pair of knee length shorts, a nice, but plain cotton interlock top, and a flat pair of walking sandals. no make up. tiffany elsa peretti earrings (open heart design) and elsa peretti platinum band with a....2pt diamond in it! woo hoo! (laughing)

last night we went out to dinner and i wore silk trousers from neiman marcus, a silk georgette blouse and stuart weitzman sandals, with a prada bag, diamond band rings and diamond studs.

so kinda both ends of the spectrum.

at the moment i''m wearing a long sleeved t-shirt and my favorite pyjama pants. i am, however, wearing underwear, so this in and of itself is an accomplishment.

things could be worse.

9.gif
Had to laugh at the underwear comment!
9.gif
Brought me back the first time I went to Cartier Jewelers while on vacation in Hawii....My friends and I were at the beach and decided to go shopping before going back to the hotel to change for dinner.We got to Cartier and I stopped dead in my tracks at the door.My friend asked if I was okay and I said"I dont know if i can shop at Cartier with out wearing underwear"!Everone burst out laughing and even today when we go to a high end store my friends ask me if Im wearing underwear!
9.gif

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think I look "the part" given the jewelry I do own. None of it is overly expensive or large. It''s all pretty modest, and I feel like the way I present myself is with the same modesty.

I''m a Gap/ON/JCrew/Banana/Ann Taylor freak. My jeans are always Paige or 7FAM. Coach leather bags. Shoes from Chinese Laundry and Steve Madden to Giuseppe Zanotti and Stuart Weitzmans. I drive an ''08 VW R32 or if I''m in my husband''s car, an ''06 STI. Our house is in a nicer, newer subdivision in the neighbourhood, but again, pretty modest. I always wear make-up and have my hair/nails done, but I still feel like, for all of my efforts, I''m not the type that could easily pull off a 2+ ct. diamond. No idea why I feel that way since it''s so arbitrary. I''m hoping that by the time I''m ready for a 25th anniversary honkin'' asscher that I''ll look "that part".
9.gif

petrock<3

Brilliant_Rock
Not at all! I''m an artist who barely looks presentable most of the time. I work with my hands, nails never done (or free of paint either), and what I do gets pretty messy. I work with all kinds of materials, plants, grungy stuff. I clean up well when I have to though. My husband checks my nails before going to any of his work events!
40.gif

I drive a mini that is crammed with ladders, power tools, paint, and all kids of junk. My engagement ring is the only nice jewelry I have ever had, and the only jewelry I wear. I usually don''t wear it when I''m working though.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I dress professionally, wear nice shoes and purses and have my hair cut and colored at a very expensive salon. I also use cosmetics and wear a nice perfume. But I hate doing manicures so my nails never look the part. Also, one of my kids is still young and I have to take care of lots of things for him so my hands are rough because I forget to put on lotion.

All of it is negated by coffee spots - I frequently spill my coffee, either on my work table or on myself. (I am a coffee addict). So I guess, I do not look the part...

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
If it weren''t for my age, I probably do look the part. I wear dresses and heels most days. Even to class I look more pulled together than most students. I love clothes and I know that I probably err on the side of over dressed than under dressed most times.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I''m adding my comment late since I just found this thread....

I''m in between looking the part and not looking the part of a diamond lover. I usually look put together, and at least middle class (haha). Even in the cheapest T-shits and jeans, I just have an "aura" (I''ve been told) of someone who was not lacking in stuff. I think it has something to do with the way I was brought up. Always minding the P''s and Q''s, always being well-mannered and presentable because my dad was a diplomat and our behaviour represented our country, so we always had to keep that in mind. As for neighborhood etc, we live in a affluent neighborhood, but own a modest townhome, I drive a luxury brand car, but I have a modest model, and my clothes are all nice, but I don''t pay full price EVER, always shop at TJ Maxx, Marshalls etc first, and if I can''t find what I need then I go to a Mall.....

I do wear my diamonds (studs, solitaire pendant, E-ring, and diamond band) EVERY DAY no matter dressed up or down, I think my pieces are all simple, and understated (not huge, but defiitely noticeable size), and they even go with with tank top and shorts. I''ve never been asked if my diamonds were real, I think people just assume they are.

LGK

Ideal_Rock
I live in Seattle, where "dressed up" means you weare the fleece without the stains on it
20.gif
. NOBODY dresses nice here!

I dress very goth- stompy boots, skirts or dresses, lace, silk, velvet etc. And I tend to go for a bit more Victorian since I work with antiques and the customers always fascinate on vintage clothing if I'm wearing it. (I do sneak my busted converse on since I'm standing behind the desk
9.gif
what they can't see doesn't hurt them!)

That being said most of my clothing is either from thrift stores, or Target or Newport News. (OK I do splurge on Fluevog boots though.)

Lots of tattoos- visible in tank tops, my back is covered as are my shoulders. I look fairly young for my age, 33. And yeah, people usually assume my jewelry is fake. You don't see much larger diamond jewelry here in the Northwest. Even those who can afford it usually don't bother- diamonds don't go so well with fleece I guess.... even the dress-up fleece!
2.gif

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results