shape
carat
color
clarity

Do You Like Your Name?

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
As a kid, I did not like my name. (It's not Kae.) Not only did m parents choose to tweek it's traditional spelling, it wasn't all that common yet, anyway. But more: it's a bad combination with my maiden name.

When I got married, I changed to hubby's name and that last part disappeared and I started to like it more. It's a little different, but it's not way out there.

Then the advent of Facebook, and after some debate I did put my maiden name on my account. It's what had connected me to many old friends, which is great. But, it's also brought that bad combo back up so that I've had to explain it to newer friends, along with and "I know! were my parent's crazy or just mean????" (I'm going with crazy, and that their Brooklyn accents pronounce the vowels differently than a lot of the rest of the country.)

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jambalaya|1442777191|3929902 said:
Oh, no - Alexandra is a classic name so it can never be out of fashion! Wasn't there a Princess Alexandra? All the Alexandras I've ever met have been pretty and elegant!

There was a Princess Alexandra. Elegant? Hmm... Maybe a little & my friends do tease me on occasion for being 'posh' and playing a piano, blah, blah, blah. Pretty? No ;-) Quirky perhaps!

Zizzy

Shiny_Rock
It's not something I lose sleep over but I'm not mad about my name, Lindsey. It was an unusual, but not unheard of name in the UK when I was born but in the late eighties, a soap opera character had my name and it became more popular, then of course there was Lindsey Lohan. I'd prefer a more classic name like Elizabeth (Lizzie) or Anna. I don't think I look like a Lindsey! It's a very girly name.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Missy, we do share our name! I'm only Melissa when I'm in trouble. Or...heaven forbid, Melissa Jo..oh lordy, I'm hiding if I hear that. I go by Missi..and have been told many times that I spell it wrong. Um, der, it's MY name and that's how mom wanted it. And even tho there was a Missy in my class (and two in my brothers, one grade below me) I had to write Missi J. on all my papers. Ugh how I hated that. I was so self conscious as a child, anything that made me stand out made me want to vomit. I still am, but I can handle it better at least.

My gramma used to call me Missilissa.

I'm Miss Missi at work, which I think is cute.

My aunt hated her name so badly, she always went by her middle name-I was...ohh in my early 20's I think before I found that out. She finally had it legally changed, flip flopping her first/middle. My gramma was so upset.

London told me she wished I had named her Claire. When I told her she almost was Ayla, she latched onto that and now looks at herself in the mirror and will call me in to look too. "Do I look like an Ayla?" No. You look like a London, that's why we named you that.

Funny how big a part of our lives, our names can be. My brother ended up w/a nickname in high school that grew into who he is, so much so that if someone asks about him and uses his real name, I stare at them blankly before it dawns on me who they're talking about. And I became known as "Nickname's Sister".

tuffyluvr

Brilliant_Rock
I am one of those people with an annoyingly unique name. It's the feminine of an (uncommonly used) Italian man's name. It's difficult for people to "get" I have to say it 3 or 4 times and it sounds similar to a more common name (which a lot of people think sounds like either a stripper name or a dog's name). It also starts with a soft C, so it's hard for people to figure out the spelling.

I was almost named Sara, but my parents decided that they wanted to give me a more unusual name, but I think I would have rather had the more common name. One of my least favorite aspects of having an unusual name is the fact that people always feel compelled to comment on it: "oh, that's unusual!" "What does it mean?" "Is it Greek?" "Where did your parents come up with that?" And my least favorite: "well isn't that a pretty name"(when you can tell they really hate it, but are compelled to say something). Ugh!

DH has a relatively unusual name too, and in recent years it's become a popular/trendy girls name, which, as you would imagine he just loooooooves. Also, in Croatian and Russian the pronounciation of his name is close to their word for elephant which he hears just about every time he speaks to a Russian or Croatian. To make matters worse, he also has a man's first name for a last name, and his first name can also be a last name, so people are CONSTANTLY transposing his name.

Yeah, we have it rough. I wish people would be a little more sensitive to the fact that kids don't get to choose their own name. I feel like people can be so mean and judgy about it, but it's not the kid's fault! DH looked up his name online and people were so AWFUL! They were saying the meanest things about what an ugly name it is!

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
"Grandmother" names are making a big comeback. There are so many new parents picking up on these soon "old" names will be youthful names. Personally I have an unusual, made up name and I love it. I always felt that I'm unique so my name should be unique.

anne_h

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Yes, I do like my name.

I've always found it simple and plain, which I identify with. I also like that I rarely run into people my age with that name.

So yes, I think my parents did a good job. My husband also has a classic men's name, and we've named our kids with classic names as well.

I'm one of the people who didn't get into the trendy baby-naming thing. But I have a sister who did... we'll see if her kids like their names later in life or not! lol

Anne

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Its very old fashion, I rarely meet others named Mary and no one ever spells it wrong. I guess it's not that bad.

On the other hand, I named my DD a moderately common name but spelled it the way it would be spelled in Finland. She complains all the time!!!! Whoops! :bigsmile:

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gah now I'm wondering what everyone's names are!

katharath

Ideal_Rock
packrat|1442789499|3929971 said:

I know, me too, lol!!

I'm enjoying this thread :)

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My name has four pronunciations. Even when I introduce myself and give someone the preferred pronunciation for my name, Some people will still enlongate a vowel or give it a twang. Sigh, mispronouncing my name is pretty much like calling me a different name entirely. I am not a huge enforcer of it though, I just smile and move on with it...

In spite of this issue, I actually really like my name.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I hated my name when I was younger. It was very common (not so much anymore) and people always spelled my name wrong (still do). As a grown-up, I appreciate it. It is a classic name and fits me. Naming another human being is SO hard. My experience of having a common name did influence how I named my daughter. There is a girl a year or two older with her name in her summer camp but so far in school, she has never shared a name.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know of someone who was named Norbert, and called Norbie by family.
He legally changed his name to Mike. Go figure!

Years ago, I knew a guy named George, who was estranged from his dad. He apparently hated his dad, and didn't want the family name. So he legally changed his name to George Thorogood, like the rock singer.

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like my name. It's a classic and common name but I don't mind that all. It's used widely in classic literature and there were many great women with that name. In school, my classes always had at least couple other girls with the same name and now 2 of my close friends have this name so we usually go by initials. Doesn't bother me at all even as many parents nowadays are horrified by the possibility that another child will have the same name as theirs.

In my personal experience, parents split into two groups when it comes to names. Either classic, because unique or made up names are ridiculous, or unique, because classic names are common and their child is a special snowflake. The two trains of thought are mutually exclusive and shall never meet.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kelpie|1442786833|3929958 said:
"Grandmother" names are making a big comeback. There are so many new parents picking up on these soon "old" names will be youthful names. Personally I have an unusual, made up name and I love it. I always felt that I'm unique so my name should be unique.

Yes my children gave the most "grandparent " names one could probably think of! I think they are fresh and handsome.

Some people feel like they are dusty but that's because it usually takes about 4 generations for a name to feel fresh again. I try not to be offended by it becuase I know when my M has kids and names them Janet or Denise I'll have the same feeling! Lol

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is an interesting thread! I have one of those "old fashioned" names - Olivia and trust me as a child growing up in the 80's it was deeply unpopular... :lol: I was teased a lot about it by my classmates named Kylie, Cindy, Stacey etc BUT now as an adult it turns out to be super popular and has made a real comeback. :dance:

All my nieces and nephews have quite traditional old-fashioned English names I will of course continue the tradition by naming my child in a similar style too. Feel it's better not to go with anything too crazy-fashionable and wacky with kids names else they spend a lifetime spelling it out/regretting it. :errrr:

CharmedOne

Brilliant_Rock
I never really cared for my name growing up. My name can be a male or female name. I am very thankful that I wasn't the first girl born, because we have this horrible tradition in out family that the first girl has to be name Addie and her first daughter has to be named Margaret and Margaret's first daughter has to be name Addie and on and on. I hate both those names, so I am very thankful for that. My name is always mispronounced and misspelled which is a bit of a pain. My DH's name sounds like a girls name and I'm not sure what his mother was thinking but he is mistaken for a female 99% of the time. It's funny because he is a police officer, so people are shocked when they first see this huge guy in uniform.

My kids have names that can be considered unique but they completely fit their personalities. My husband didn't want a junior because there are already three generations of law enforcement in his family and he didn't want my oldest to feel like he had to go into law enforcement. I did use my husband's name for my oldest sons middle name but I spelled it differently. My youngest sons name is Jett and it is perfect for him because he is a pretty fast runner. Everybody loves his name except my oldest son, who used to complain that his younger brothers name is cooler than his. He has a more traditional first name. He is 20 now and over it, thank goodness.

I must say though some names are way out there and I have been compelled from time to time to ask people why they choose the names they picked. One was a young lady behind me in line at the pharmacy, she was due any day and was naming her daughter Gonorrhea. She pronounced it Ganorria. I asked her to spell it and she did. She then told me she saw it on a pamphlet at the doctors office. I told her that she might want to look that up first and do a little research before committing to that name for her little girl.

Another time, I was volunteering and an event and this young lady had these adorable twin boys, so I asked what were their names. She said lemonjello and orangejello. I said wow those are some pretty unique names. Where did you get them? She said when she was pregnant with them, all she craved was lemon jello and orange jello. She pronounced them lamongello and orrongello but they were spelled as I wrote them above. I felt so bad for her when they were called over the speaker "lemon jello and orange jello please come to the front desk." People just stared at the poor girl and some were shaking their heads. Thankfully my sons names, while different are no where near that bad.

CharmedOne

Brilliant_Rock
I knew it was another one but I couldn't think of it, so I had to ask my DH. A teacher friend told us of one of her students named sh*thead. She said she didn't want to mispronounce it and asked the mother at orientation. The mother pronounced it "sheh thead". That totally floored me and has to be one, if not the worst name I have ever heard. Poor child, I'm sure he will change it as soon as he is old enough to.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Those are great stories, CharmedOne. As for the Sh*thead thing, I think this came up earlier in the thread and it's from another culture and is pronounced Sheh-thayd, like you said. But in this culture, it's a pretty unfortunate spelling. If they want the name to sound right but lose the terrible spelling, why don't they just change it to Shehthede, or something. After all, it's this culture the kid has to grow up in!

I had a classmate whose mother was Danish and wanted to call her Jane but wanted the traditional Danish pronunciation of yay-nah, instead of jayne. So they changed the spelling and so she was Yaina, but to her mother it sounded like her own country's version of Jane. I thought this was an excellent solution.

About the lemonjello and Gonorrhea thing, that is just terrible. I really feel there should be laws against giving your children such stupid and horrible names - borders on emotional abuse in the lack of dignity it gives the child. I hope children with those names just choose different ones for themselves. I knew a Digby who went by Mark, and a Horatio who went by Dave. Good for them! I mean, Horatio's OK if you're a famous literary author, or a concert pianist, or a painter. But what if you're just a regular person? And oh, the teasing at school, the teasing...awful! I also knew a Sholto and his sister was Scheherazade! And also a Bodicea (not sure of the spelling). Some very creative parents. There was also a Lygia, pronounced Leesha, and I've never come across that name before or since. There were two Laylas in my class but since then, decades ago, I've never met a Layla again.

ponder

Brilliant_Rock
I had an elderly patient tell me one day that she legally changed her name in her early 20's. She was named Doris but was never called it because her younger sibling could not say Doris and called her Jenny instead. She told me that told me that Jenny fit her personality better, especially as a Jenny is also a name for a female jackass.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A friend of mine in his mid 20s changed his name from William to Willard.

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
I like my name, but I'm a little perplexed that people find it difficult to spell. It's only six letters, people! :wall:

boerumbiddy

Brilliant_Rock
I didn't like my name at all when I was little and wanted something like Diana. Now I love it, even though it is an initial (for an old-fashioned first name my family never used) followed by a long family name (which everybody always used as my first name) followed by a relatively common last name. According to Google, I am the only one in the United States who has this combination!

lioness

Brilliant_Rock
Hate my first name. No one ever spells it or pronounces it right, even in a place as multicultural as NY!! If I saved all the Starbucks cups on which it's misspelled and stuck them on metal rods, I could call it installation art and write some dribble about identity, etc. for the exhibit catalog.

tuffyluvr

Brilliant_Rock
lioness said:
Hate my first name. No one ever spells it or pronounces it right, even in a place as multicultural as NY!! If I saved all the Starbucks cups on which it's misspelled and stuck them on metal rods, I could call it installation art and write some dribble about identity, etc. for the exhibit catalog.

There's an easy solution: pick a "Starbucks name". You have to use the same one every time, so you are conditioned to respond to it. My friend is "Kate" and I'm "Sara". It's funny when they occasionally ask, "Sara with an 'h' or no 'h'"? ...I never quite know what to say cuz it's not my name, and couldn't matter any less. My friend "Kate" has had her Starbucks name "Kate" written as "Cake". Which is amazing, because who is named Cake?!?

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dislike my name. Old school, and stuffy. Got used to it. DH shortened it when we met and it stuck. Didn't like the short version either for that matter. My daughter's name is very unique, a b!tch to spell but sounds wonderful. Strangely enough, she loves it, and totally owns it. I've only met a man who has her name as a first name. It is more commonly seen as a welsh surname. People butcher the spelling and the pronunciation but it doesn't bother her. She doesn't give a crap about what people who don't matter to her say. (Love her for that)

I guess I made up for own crappy name by giving my daughter an awesome name. :)

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
tuffyluvr|1442820221|3930105 said:
lioness said:

There's an easy solution: pick a "Starbucks name". You have to use the same one every time, so you are conditioned to respond to it. My friend is "Kate" and I'm "Sara". It's funny when they occasionally ask, "Sara with an 'h' or no 'h'"? ...I never quite know what to say cuz it's not my name, and couldn't matter any less. My friend "Kate" has had her Starbucks name "Kate" written as "Cake". Which is amazing, because who is named Cake?!?

You should do Heather of you don't like getting asked how to spell it.

At my work I give my name over the phone. No one ever hears it. Sometimes they spell it out to me and its just so annoying that whatever tehy say I'm like " yup"

Which is hard becuase sometimes they are so way off they end up spelling a different, common, males name....but whatever I'm not going to spell my name out 40 times a day

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
packrat|1442789499|3929971 said:

Despite all the MANY Catherine/Katherine/Catharine/Katharine/Kathryn/Cathryn/etcs and Katie/Katy/Catie/Caty/Cady/Kady/Kate/Cate/etcs I've known over the years, I had never seen another with the C to K change until Duchess Catherine/Kate Middleton.

Also, see my names up there and all the spellings? I'm sure I've forgotten a few. Most of those are pretty traditional variants. This is why I don't get bent out of shape about name spellings.

boerumbiddy|1442809344|3930085 said:
I didn't like my name at all when I was little and wanted something like Diana. Now I love it, even though it is an initial (for an old-fashioned first name my family never used) followed by a long family name (which everybody always used as my first name) followed by a relatively common last name. According to Google, I am the only one in the United States who has this combination!

UGH it is basically the biggest disappointment of my LIFE that my husband doesn't think Diana would make a good name for a girl. Like, I mean, we're not even pregnant yet, so there's still convincing time, and literally the only name we've agreed on so far is "Jane," which, yes, let's stun everyone with our creativity and uniqueness there, huh, but DIANA.

Jambalaya|1442799282|3930029 said:
I hope children with those names just choose different ones for themselves. I knew a Digby who went by Mark, and a Horatio who went by Dave. Good for them! I mean, Horatio's OK if you're a famous literary author, or a concert pianist, or a painter. But what if you're just a regular person? And oh, the teasing at school, the teasing...awful! I also knew a Sholto and his sister was Scheherazade! And also a Bodicea (not sure of the spelling). Some very creative parents. There was also a Lygia, pronounced Leesha, and I've never come across that name before or since. There were two Laylas in my class but since then, decades ago, I've never met a Layla again.

Well, at lease Scheherazade, Boudicca, and Ligeia ARE names... albeit, uh, ones that aren't used... ever. And from the namesakes I can understand why you'd pick those and think they are neat - a talented storyteller, a warrior queen, and a siren/Poe story?

Also, I couldn't spell my legal name until about third grade - I'd hate to think how long it would take to learn to spell Scheherazade. Heck, as an adult I have to copy-paste that to make sure I've spelled it the same everywhere I wrote it.

This all reminds me of the opening line of Voyage of the Dawn Treader - "There was a boy called Eustace Clarence Scrubb, and he almost deserved it."

tuffyluvr

Brilliant_Rock
Niel said:
tuffyluvr|1442820221|3930105 said:
lioness said:

You should do Heather of you don't like getting asked how to spell it.

I don't mind spelling it at all--I guess that came across wrong--I just never know what to say when they ask because it's not my name. I have, on occasion, embarrassedly blurted out, "it doesn't matter how you spell it, it's not really my name". My friend's German father, who has a name that's difficult for Americans, goes by "Bob" at Starbucks. I always laugh when I see him with a Starbucks cup!!

I'm with you--when people butcher my name horribly I'm usually like, "yeah, whatever. Doesn't matter what you call me." I figure, when it's a transactional interaction, what does it matter anyways?

star sparkle

Brilliant_Rock
I love my name. It's a classic but spelled the European way, which I think makes it look prettier. It definitely suits me.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results