shape
carat
color
clarity

Do you like to eat holiday fruit cakes?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I used to love it :lickout: but haven't eaten any in the past 20 yrs.

kmarla

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Yes, but I think the fruit cake lovers club is pretty small! I have to be honest, for me it's pretty much all about the marzipan icing :love:

Q

Queenie60

I don't like fruit cake. I remember the old Johnny Carson Christmas segment where they passed the fruitcake around from year to year! Same cake, re gifted over and over! So funny. Of course I was just a little girl back then :appl:

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
I don't think I've ever eaten it. Something about it just seems gross to me.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do like it, but well drenched for a couple of months in rum, and without icing. I love my MIL's fruitcake. She sends us a very small one every year and we cherish it. We have the recipe but have never made it for ourselves. I can't imagine having a whole one!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love fruit cake.
Mom used to make the best, every year for Christmas. You gotta have home made. Don't waste your money on store-bought.
I don't know why some people don't like it. It's mostly candied fruit and nuts, with just enough batter to hold it all together.
It's cake! It's fruit! What's not to like??

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the old fashioned Claxton fruitcakes - used to eat them with my grandmother when I was a child and I still love them!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No icing and only certain fruit cakes. Most fruit cakes aren't even edible!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No.
Kinda gross. :knockout:

They always seem like something that's already old and stale yet full of preservatives when new, and will be identical if left in the can for another year or three.

Seem like something you could leave out on the kitchen counter and even roaches or ants would not eat.

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG luuuurve them! :love: My husband makes the family fruit cake for Christmas every year. Weeks of fruit soaking in bottles of booze, topped with fondant & royal icing decorations... a delicious masterpiece! A whole day is devoted to the annual baking of this cake and it's cut & served on Christmas morning with cups of tea, whilst we open presents under the tree. I adore the tradition of it all.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No!!!! The dried fruits are disgusting!

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I adore them; they remind me of my German relatives. A good fruit cake is an art form, but I think they probably don't translate to modern-day America. For me, they remind me of my gramma and my childhood. She would start a couple of months before and I remember her painstakingly picking the stems off the sultanas. It took ages. There would be lots of rum, hence the couple of months for it to age. Then she would do layers of marzipan and snowy white icing, and decorate it with a snowman called Gerald because I loved a boy called Gerald when I was three, and a bridge, and whipped-up snow, and bells, and it was a real winter scene.

Gerald and I never did get it together. Today he lives and works in Hong Kong, but luckily there is still fruit cake in the world, even if it isn't Gramma's. I believe Gerald the cake ornament still lives and serves.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HotPozzum|1447987002|3951932 said:
OMG luuuurve them! :love: My husband makes the family fruit cake for Christmas every year. Weeks of fruit soaking in bottles of booze, topped with fondant & royal icing decorations... a delicious masterpiece! A whole day is devoted to the annual baking of this cake and it's cut & served on Christmas morning with cups of tea, whilst we open presents under the tree. I adore the tradition of it all.
Can one get drunk from eating too much fruitcake?.. :bigsmile:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jambalaya|1447987573|3951938 said:
but luckily there is still fruit cake in the world,

Why are you calling Kenny names?... :Up_to_something:

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No I hate cakes with dried fruit in them, I also hate pudding as well, give me a chocolate cake instead any day of the week.....

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dancing Fire|1447990211|3951951 said:
Jambalaya|1447987573|3951938 said:
but luckily there is still fruit cake in the world,

Why are you calling Kenny names?... :Up_to_something:

:lol:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My mom makes a good fruit cake (no icing or rum). I can do one small piece with a cup of coffee and I'm good for the holidays.

(I'd rather save my calories for 1/3 of a cheese cake...my true love :love: )

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My FIL makes one every year. With brandy sauce he lights on fire and the whole 9 yards. He calls it Christmas Pudding though. I think it's to trick the rest of us non-british folk. I never eat it haha.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
telephone89|1448043022|3952156 said:
My FIL makes one every year. With brandy sauce he lights on fire and the whole 9 yards. He calls it Christmas Pudding though. I think it's to trick the rest of us non-british folk. I never eat it haha.

Oh no, why not eat it? It sounds delish! Can you send me your piece? :D

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jambalaya|1448044543|3952165 said:
telephone89|1448043022|3952156 said:

Oh no, why not eat it? It sounds delish! Can you send me your piece? :D
You got it! It's just not for me :sick: :hand:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results