shape
carat
color
clarity

Do you like either of these tanz?

justginger

Ideal_Rock
The oval is 3.8 carats, the emerald is 3.5 carats - the vendor is obvious. :bigsmile:

tanz2.jpg

tanz.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not bad at all. If these really peak your interest, you should ask for additional pictures (hand shots) and also more questions. I presume this will be a pendant stone or you are extremely careful and know how to take care of tanzanite? It's not an everyday wear stone. Even as an occasional wear stone, it required knowledgeable care. Ask the vendor about how it looks under different lighting, plus if it shows any blue or red flash. To assuage my curiousity, please post the dimensions of both stones.

Deia

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Something about that oval I like more than the emerald cut... it's gorgeous!!!

justginger

Ideal_Rock
Chrono, thanks very much for your input. I do realize that tanz is a soft stone, but was still hoping to turn it into a ring for very rare occasions. Is this not recommended at all? It seems that there are a few ladies on here who have beautiful tanz rings that appear to be in very good shape. I would really like to have it be the centerstone of a ring, flanked by two diamonds. When people say that it is 'easily damaged,' what does that actually mean? Like bump a wine glass and it shatters? :errrr:

I have made further enquiries and asked for handshots. I must admit I am thinking twice now, with the reminder of durability. I just don't know what stone I could swap into my mental picture in its absence - possible a tsav, but the one I've just purchased isn't big enough (1.26 carats) and I don't really want my next purchase to be exactly what I've just gotten.

What else could I use that is durable, won't cost a boatload, and will look great in a sort of three-stone step-cut ring (would want the centerstone to be around 10mm long)? :confused:

And as for the measurements of these - the oval is 10.65 x 8.85 x 6, the emerald cut is 10.1 x 7.25 x 5.5.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s not to say that you cannot wear it in a ring but only that you take extra care with it when worn. Tanzanite is sensitive to thermal shock and has the potential for cleavage. Sometimes, the temperature change from the hot lights of a jeweller’s display case to the chilly glass of the countertop of the air-conditioned showroom is enough for the stone to develop cleavages. Obviously, keep it away from acids. Only clean it using warm soapy water although I’ve heard that some people will advise the owner to keep their tanzanite away from water at all costs. Never clean it using US or steam.

Thank you for the measurements. I asked about it because of that darkness in the center of the step cut tanzanite. Based on what you’ve provided, I will probably pass on the emerald cut as it is too shallow and may have performance issues.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I own many Tanzanite rings so if you want one then go ahead! In all honesty, if you knock a diamond in just the right place, you could end up cracking that and the same with Sapphires and Rubies. Apart from those 3 and maybe one or two others, no gemstone is recommended for every day wear. However, we need to put that into perspective .............. gemstones should be worn and loved. If you know you have to be careful then you will be so, for example, take it off when washing your hands, don't cook wearing the rings (because of putting your hands inside an oven or stirring a hot pot etc) which might expose the gemstone to different sudden temperature changes. My only caveat is that if you're generally hard on your rings (and everybody is different) then it may be that you want to keep the ring for special occasions only.

I'd echo Chrono and wait to make your decision on the handshots you've asked for. The oval looks far nicer and will probably perform better overall. Emerald cuts are not the best for Tanzanites. I have an 18ct one and although it's beautiful, the cut doesn't really show it to its full advantage and I much prefer my ovals which have more small more, flashes of pinks/reds rather than more broader open flashes.

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I think a lot of the warnings about how delicate many stones are, are over stated.
When I cut a tanzanite, I dop the stone with wax, which means I heat up a brass dop stick so hot it would burn your hand, melt some wax on it, then place the cold tanzanite to it. This sudden temperature change is way more than you will ever subject your stone to. The stone is cut with a constant water drip, so it's exposed to water during the entire cutting process. When being polished, the surfaces are exposed to high heat and friction.

The cutting process is going to be much more severe than most anything the wearer would subject the stone to.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
But then too, thermal shock is not the same as mechanical shock. My pyrex® baking dishes can go from the freezer to the oven with no danger of causing glass shards in the lasagna, but drop it on the floor and it shatters to bits. Most stones can withstand far more thermal shock than we can, while with our flexi joints and internally cushioned round surfaces we can withstand more mechanical shock than many stones. And so the stones we wear are likely to be subjected to more of the mechanical shock that they are vulnerable to than the thermal shock that they can undure. It is fine to cook with your stones (though not to put emeralds in the lasagna) but not to hit them with hammers.

mastercutgems

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I will have to agree with Vapid; as mechanical shock and abrasion I feel are the most common issues with colored gems being damaged.

I do not use wax; I use 5 minute epoxy and to break the bond on the dop and gem; I use an alcohol lamp on the dop with fingers on the stone and when it is too hot for my fingers I peel the soft epoxy off. Not to say that in any way my way is best; it just works better for me than any dop wax I have tried.

I repaired high end gemstones for the jewelry trade for over 7 years and most of what came across my bench was tanzanite, then emerald, then tourmalines. In that order the worst damage was chips and nicks, then abrasions, most all the gems were in a ring mount; that is why I really take a deep breath on large fine blue-purple tanzanites and fine big emeralds being set in engagement settings to be worn on a every day basis.

That is just from experience; as I have cut/re-cut gems from 80,000 dollar price tags to 300 dollar price tags and they all will become damaged if hit against something harder than they are; or constantly abraded by grit which we all know quartz I believe is the most abundant grit in our environment.

It is not to say any individual can not get away with it; but care should be taken with the softer stones just like the harder ones as they can all have issues; the list is too numerous; but as you Ladies take such good care of your Lovely hands; I am sure the rings that adorn them will be safe as well :)

Thanks to learning forums such as this one; it just makes us all so much more informed as to the ins and outs of our lovely gems and what we can do to make them more safe in the environment we display them in.

Most respectfully;

Dana

mastercutgems

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Oh and I forgot :)

JustGinger; I think they both are extremely fine examples of Tanzanite; my favorite is the oval as I like the color a little more and I think it is a little more intense... But they both are very fine and lovely gems...

Most respectfully;
Dana

justginger

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the opinions here, it's good to have an idea of what sort of 'careful' we're referring to when discussing tanz rings.

Asking further info, I was told that both are well cut with no windowing, and are eye clean. The oval is very slightly darker and gives off slightly more violet flash. The hand shot I've attached does show the emerald cut is not windowed, but does not show the color differences that would be true to life.

I like them both. I am in love with the idea of a three stone step cut ring, but maybe with the optical properties of tanz, this would not be the stone to use? Does anyone know of any PSers with a step cut tanz/diamond ring?

tanzcompare.jpg

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Lovely colors in those stones -- I agree with the others that you would probably get better performance from the oval. Though I just love an emerald cut, it doesn't show a tanz at its best. You do need to be careful with them; I've written before that I had a tanzanite ring -- bezeled & set low into the shank, well protected (I thought) -- and whacked it against a jewelry case the first time I wore the critter, knocked a chunk off it. Still want to cry!

Have you looked at purple garnets? Or are they too purple, not enough blue? They're a little more durable than tanzanites. I assume amethysts aren't your thing or you would have checked them out.

I'd go with the oval, personally, and just treat it with care. You're probably not the klutz I am.

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
Seeing them both together, I kind of like the look of the emerald cut better.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
justginger|1316013016|3017330 said:
Thanks for the opinions here, it's good to have an idea of what sort of 'careful' we're referring to when discussing tanz rings.

Asking further info, I was told that both are well cut with no windowing, and are eye clean. The oval is very slightly darker and gives off slightly more violet flash. The hand shot I've attached does show the emerald cut is not windowed, but does not show the color differences that would be true to life.

I like them both. I am in love with the idea of a three stone step cut ring, but maybe with the optical properties of tanz, this would not be the stone to use? Does anyone know of any PSers with a step cut tanz/diamond ring?

Yes - I've got one. I don't like it because (a) it has a small window and (b) the cut does nothing for the stone. My ovals out-perform the step cuts all the time. The one I have (which, from memory is between 1 or 2ct) is not great quality but that's not why I don't like it. The cut is the main problem with it in that I don't like the way it performs.

One of the issues I see with the emerald cut you're looking at is that it suffers from blackout areas right in the centre. Although the oval has areas of extinction also, it will be far less obvious because of the cut especially as you rotate the ring on your finger.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The emerald cut could look nice in a pendant, but will definitely look too dark in a ring. I'd choose an oval.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Still the oval for me because I see the large dark areas in the emerald cut stone that is still there in all the pictures. Is this the darkest both stones will get? I wouldn't want my gems to look any darker than this, even in low lighting.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results