shape
carat
color
clarity

Do you like a Singapore chain?

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What is your favorite chain and why? Also, do you like a Singapore chain?

Thanks. Just getting ideas. Probably 1.5 width if anyone wondered.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Might help if you included a picture of a Singapore chain...

I personally dont care for that link but of course, my opinion is to buy what you like!

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Might help if you included a picture of a Singapore chain...

I personally dont care for that link but of course, my opinion is to buy what you like!

Good idea.

I’m going to be setting that nearly 11 carat oval aqua soon and I’m tying to eyeball what chain would be best.

I grabbed the first photo off images:

2A17FB61-A7C3-4970-8C3E-71B9A12814E4.jpeg

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you have some different width chains at home? That aqua is large and I wonder if it might need a slightly thicker chain?
Not really sure. That's why I was wondering if you had any thicker chains you could lay near it to make sure its all in good
proportions.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like and have a 2mm box chain for pendants.

I like figaros for bracelets, rolo type with open links for charm bracelets.

I also like chunky wheat and curb chains for bracelets for stacking.

I used to like robe chains until I discovered they were a pain to try and clean.

DK :))

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think i know it as a Singapore twist
i got one as a gift for my 30th birthday.
It came with an exchange card
i exchanged it ! (Probably the only time ive ever exchanged a gift)

So no sorry, on me i don't like them
too delicate (plus ive never seen Bruce Springsteen wear a Singapore twist :mrgreen2: )

I like box chains but ive broken two :confused2:
I like belcher bracletes - ive lost two :(2

Im open to new options
so pictures please

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you have some different width chains at home? That aqua is large and I wonder if it might need a slightly thicker chain?
Not really sure. That's why I was wondering if you had any thicker chains you could lay near it to make sure its all in good
proportions.

I don’t. All my chains are really thin. I was also thinking of making it a dedicated necklace instead of a pendant for this reason..... (long story, local jeweler has it but I have had no movement on getting a CAD... and long story about why I brought it to him anyway....)

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I used to like robe chains until I discovered they were a pain to try and clean.

DW has a fair number of pendants, and deciding what pendant to wear with her outfit took long enough without having to spend even more time deciding what chain went best with that pendant. To solve this problem, and not incidentally to help keep me from pacing around impatiently as we got later and later for our dinner reservation, she decided to buy separate chains for each pendant :bigsmile: To keep costs down we bought them from the Goodwill retail website. Chains on this site in both 14K and 18K are plentiful, and usually sell at about gold melt price. She prefers rope and wheat style chains with thickness and length varying in accordance with pendant size.

Needless to say, given the source, she wanted the chains to be really well cleaned. I found that extended time in the sonic cleaner with a drop of Dawn and really hot distilled water would clean all the dirt off just about any chain. Even heavily tarnished chains would look great after a couple of hours of this treatment.

Hope this helps. =)2

Edit PS Here's a LINK to a site that has photos and the names of just about every known chain style.

Last edited:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ooo, I forgot to mention my 2mm box chain is only 16in long, and I bought a 2in chain extender so that I could extend it to suit different pendants.

I also have a twisted cable wire chain with a removable end, about 1.5mm and 18in, which is the chain that I wear mostly with pendants for the more casual look, especially with small pearl slider pendants.

@prs I guess I should invest in an ultrasonic cleaner! :lol-2:

Reactions: prs

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don’t. All my chains are really thin. I was also thinking of making it a dedicated necklace instead of a pendant for this reason..... (long story, local jeweler has it but I have had no movement on getting a CAD... and long story about why I brought it to him anyway....)

I don't have anywhere better to be
give us your long story if you want :lol:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ooo, I forgot to mention my 2mm box chain is only 16in long, and I bought a 2in chain extender so that I could extend it to suit different pendants.

I also have a twisted cable wire chain with a removable end, about 1.5mm and 18in, which is the chain that I wear mostly with pendants for the more casual look, especially with small pearl slider pendants.

@prs I guess I should invest in an ultrasonic cleaner! :lol-2:

Bugga !
Why didn't i think of a chain extender :(2
Can you get a box chain extender ?
I scraped mine because it became to short

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bugga !
Why didn't i think of a chain extender :(2
Can you get a box chain extender ?
I scraped mine because it became to short

A box chain extender can only extend to one length with the jump ring fixed at one end, and they are available, try Etsy to see if there is anything that suits.

I got an open link one from an Etsy vendor, so that I can vary the overall length of the chain.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
A box chain extender can only extend to one length with the jump ring fixed at one end, and they are available, try Etsy to see if there is anything that suits.

I got an open link one from an Etsy vendor, so that I can vary the overall length of the chain.

I need a whole new chain now :doh:

I do like a rope and a wheat chain
Are they stronger ?
I do love a gold box chain

Dumb question (not that i have one) does an ultrasonic do a good job with tarnish on a silver chain ?
I have a silver rope chain around here somewhere ???

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I need a whole new chain now :doh:

I do like a rope and a wheat chain
Are they stronger ?
I do love a gold box chain

Dumb question (not that i have one) does an ultrasonic do a good job with tarnish on a silver chain ?
I have a silver rope chain around here somewhere ???

Don't know if rope and wheat chains are stronger or not over chains with links made of the same gauge of wire. I like them as bracelets as they are chunky as I don't like tiny and delicate chains. Hence I am not keen on DBTY bracelet or necklace.

I have no idea re: ultrasonic cleaner, and I am NOT going to get one! :lol-2:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
....back to the old polishing cloth :mrgreen2:
I find it quite satisfying seeing all the black come off onto the cloth
even off a gold chain that didn't look dirty (opps that's the box chain i scraped)

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
....back to the old polishing cloth :mrgreen2:
I find it quite satisfying seeing all the black come off onto the cloth
even off a gold chain that didn't look dirty (opps that's the box chain i scraped)

Welcome to my world! I have a fountain pen with an engraved solid silver casing, a nickel silver cocktail set that used to below to my dad, and nickel silver keys on my clarinet that I have to polish from time to time!

(Apologies to @whitewave for going off-topic!)

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't have anywhere better to be
give us your long story if you want :lol:

Lol. I wish my smilies worked.lol

I blame everything on Percocet right now. I have Percocet brain and am making stupid decisions.

Beginning of story:

It all started in the middle of the night. Nights can be bad after my surgery and I find myself looking for aqua, pink sapphire, emerald and ruby round pairs 5.7-5.9mm that would fit in my Brian Gavin jackets.

I found a gorgeous set of aquas at Africa gems. This was before/during/after Christmas.

He had set the ruby I previously bought in a Stuller crown setting, so I decided he could go ahead and set them, so I bought the stones and he sent me the link to pick out the settings.

That took a day or so (some of my early days were bad where I couldn’t even do such a task). I found the 4 prong baskets with guardian backs and sent him the link and he charged me. (I realized after the fact that I didn’t pay him a setting fee).

A few days later I got just the settings in the mail. Lol. Not set. Just the settings. I called and left a message. Two days later I received the stones in the mail. I also received an email from Marc apologizing as we don’t know where the miscommunication happened. It’s ok, in the end no big deal, and as I mentioned, I don’t recall specifically saying I would like him to set them, nor did I pay him to do so. (Which I would have done obviously).

Marc said if I had trouble finding someone to set them, send them back and he would.

Ok. So we have one bench in town. He is NEVER at his shop— it’s always something like oh it was a beautiful day and he hasn’t played golf in a while, so he left to go play a round. Things like that. But he does do nice work.

So I had my son bring me there, and you have to understand how things go around here— it can be a weird way of socializing with people and it can also be based on who is who. So I’m at one jeweler, but my neighbor owns another one (but the bench is the first jeweler who does the bench work for my neighbor).

So anyway, it’s freaking land mines around here and we are well known in town, so I was worried about just showing up with stones and setting and have to explain why I never went to him to begin with....... sigh.

So although I wanted a PS vendor to set the oval aqua and I’d mentioned it once, I decided to bring the oval aqua to this bench (will make it up to the PS vendor when I get my sapphire for a pendant) as a sort of carrot to dangle, like yeah, sorry for you to finish someone else’s work but here is a giant aqua and could you make a cad and set it too?

Well, the CAD person was there and I had brought my aqua ring with me to show him my style— he was so blown away by the design element and execution of it (Brian Gavin) and said it was well above the norm for this town (no duh).

Well, the bench was out and something about something and something and could I just leave them all there and they would get back to me about cost and time and cad ($500 CAD charge by the way, which the bench could negotiate but since he wasn’t there, there is no way to know...)

After two days I called to check on everything and the CAD guy said the bench said 7-10 days and $90 to set the earrings (I gave the ok) and then said nothing about the CAD and oh is this my white gold ring setting in the envelope with my stuff (umm, no it’s not).

I blame it all on Percocet. The CAD guy was so thrilled about my aqua ring and the pics of my yellow sapphire (DK) that he actually thanked me for coming in and showing him, so I feel sorry for him and want to give him a chance. It all seems so screwey though.

So there, that is the long story lol. He didn’t even write down how much or how large the aqua is etc, so I casually took a pick of everything on his desk so I have proof of it all. Seems very disorganized.

Last edited:

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
BE144AF5-6DB9-412C-A778-9857D0AD3224.jpeg
The pic I took on the sly

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Welcome to my world! I have a fountain pen with an engraved solid silver casing, a nickel silver cocktail set that used to below to my dad, and nickel silver keys on my clarinet that I have to polish from time to time!

(Apologies to @whitewave for going off-topic!)

That's for the reminder
on the long list of stuff that needs repaired is an engraved parker pen my mother gave me
the pocket clip thinh got broken in 1989 and i found it in the shift 3 years ago :lol:

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok, chain lady here, I have a few.....
Dont recommend box link chains because they break easily AND can’t be seamlessly repaired.
love snake chains but they remove all the fine hairs around your hairline - ouch
love a flat omega but one kink and you can see it from the other side of the room, also not suitable for pendants of any weight - don’t sit right. A flat polished curb link is similar in look and easier to wear.
Figaro, anchor and other “fancy links” I think are best wearing just as a chain. They look too busy otherwise.
My favourites for pendants are belcher link and rope chains. I’m a fan of rope chains because they are basically unbreakable and for the gold weight you get a better visual presence. I do like a Singapore twist chain as well.

bright&shiny

Brilliant_Rock
So pretty, but if I have one chain that will catch, twirl, and ultimately lead me to yank out hair to get the necklace off, it’s this one. I never knew what it was called, though. I think I’ve given all of mine away because of this problem

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I’m from Singapore and this is the first time I’ve heard of a Singapore chain :P2

Hey there! Me too! Fellow Singaporean here. :lol-2:

For the uninitiated, Singapore is a small, tiny sunny country.

Is it bad i only recently heard about Singapore noodles yet i know this chain as a Singapore twist ? :mrgreen2:

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
I never heard about Singapore noodles or bee hoon until I went overseas in my 20s and was a bit stunned by the curry in the noodles when I tasted it. It’s not something that you find in Singapore hahahah

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like belcher chains too but what about a small paperclip chain? Those are really pretty. They come in different widths.
Quick grab off the internet.
Capture.PNG

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results