shape
carat
color
clarity

Do you let anyone try on your jewelry?

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I’m just curious whether family members ,friends or coworkers have asked to try on your jewelry? If so, whom have you allowed to try your jewelry?

I have a hiking friend who always wants to try my rings on after we sit for breakfast after a hike, almost weekly….you know how
hard it is to get my rings off when my fingers are swollen after a hike? I have since told her husband, it is time for him to get an anniversary ring of a significant size so she would stop asking to try on my rings (she always does it in front of her husband as a big hint).

My SIL who lives in Europe visits the US about once a year, and every time she comes, she asks to try on my rings because she doesn’t see people wearing diamonds if a significant size in Europe….even though she lives in an affluent part of Switzerland. I let her indulge and try on my rings, it is only once a year.

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
I’m the kind of person who immediately whips off my jewellery and hands it over for the person to play with as soon as anyone notices or comments on it. Luckily no one had run off with it yet!!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m the kind of person who immediately whips off my jewellery and hands it over for the person to play with as soon as anyone notices or comments on it. Luckily no one had run off with it yet!!

I have done this too. Sometimes they seem so interested, but then they react funny, like they don't want to handle it.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, if it’s family or a friend. I do say “please don’t drop it” and (knock on wood) so far no mishaps.

MrsBlue

Brilliant_Rock
Absolutely not. I think it's generous enough that people share photos of their beauties here. I would never dreaming of asking anyone--even a close relative--to touch or try on their pieces. That's what jewelry stores are for.

I wouldn’t, unless it’s a really close friend or family member. Or unless I have no choice.

I once had this (rather rude) aunt gush all over one of my rings and she asked me to take it off. It was super awkward because I really didn’t want to, but didn’t know how I could get out of it since she kept insisting. So I did. It was at a small lunch event in my parents’ home so I knew it would be safe. She put it on, started admiring it, and then took out her phone and started taking pictures of it on her hand!!! After a point she noticed me looking at her, laughed and said “don’t worry, I’ll give it back” and then took more pictures before finally returning me my baby.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Weird
(Not that i have anything at all PS worthy)
But I'd let any of you guys try them on, but not sure about any one else other than my sister maybe but i doubt she'd ask
I don't ever remember trying on mum's rings either

Probably not earings though

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
A friend of mine asked to look at two loose stones I was trying to explain (casually) to her. I think she must have seen me holding my breath, because she handed them back quickly.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Know the laws in your area! I had a ring taken by a friend of a friend when she took it to look at. Police wouldn't call it stolen because I handed it to her.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't let people try anything on. I handed my grandfather my ring to look at the other day since he was trying to describe "the little diamonds they put on the side of jewelry" and I wanted him to get a chance to see it specifically as it was related to what we were talking about. I've never been asked by a stranger or even a friend. I would make an excuse not to let them handle anything!

Funny thing is that I went to a local PS gtg a few years ago (well, maybe more than a few by now...) and had no problem handing my ring to people to look at. PS people are different from others!

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
I have no problem doing this with family and close friends. My mom and my sister love to try on my anniversary ring and I love seeing it them.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Only my sister has ever asked or would be allowed, unless it's another PSer.

diamondyes

Brilliant_Rock
I love the story about Elizabeth Burton (what was her real last name? My mind is blank) would always take off her Krupp diamond and let people try it on, knowing it would be their only chance to ever experience such glamour.
Myself, I’m happy to let people try on, but I always caution them to it touch the top because I hate finger grease making my diamond look less sparkly!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
@TooPatient I never knew that if someone asked to try on my ring and I handed it to them they could keep it. I’m shocked that this happened to you!
I only let my DIL and mother try Winter on. Anything else is okay.

Last edited:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@TooPatient I never knew that if someone asked to try on my ring and I handed it to them they could keep it. I’m shocked that this happened to you!
I only let my DIL and mother try Winter on. Anything else is okay.

They can’t. That’s not legal. That’s stealing. I’m sorry that happened to you @TooPatient but it sounds as if the police were negligent.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They can’t. That’s not legal. That’s stealing. I’m sorry that happened to you @TooPatient but it sounds as if the police were negligent.

I hope that is the case! I need to look and see what actual state law is on this now that I am older.

I think what they were saying was that since I had handed it to her, it was not her taking it without my consent. Since I handed it to her willingly, the requirements for theft were not met. (I sure hope they were wrong or that something has changed!)

https://www.criminaldefenselawyer.c...se/differences-between-theft-burglary-robbery

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had a co-worker ask to try on my ring and she dropped it on the floor! From approximately 4 feet high. I almost died bc it was brand new and in a new setting. Luckily no damage but since then I don’t let anyone try on my rings. They can see it on my hand.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It depends on the person making the request and the setting.

If the person is a complete stranger and I am on my own in an open busy setting that I am not familiar, then no.

If I know the person well enough and feel safe with this person not to run away with the piece, and am not alone in a more secure setting, then yes.

DK :))

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hope that is the case! I need to look and see what actual state law is on this now that I am older.

I think what they were saying was that since I had handed it to her, it was not her taking it without my consent. Since I handed it to her willingly, the requirements for theft were not met. (I sure hope they were wrong or that something has changed!)

https://www.criminaldefenselawyer.c...se/differences-between-theft-burglary-robbery

The fact she refused to return it is a crime. From your link.

"To commit a theft, the person must take property with the intent to permanently deprive the owner of it, at the time of taking. A permanent deprivation means not intending to return the property ever or for such an extended period of time that it loses its value to the owner."

The fact you allowed her to try it on isn't the same as giving it to her to keep. The fact that she then took it and refused to give it back is where the crime took place.

I am sorry this happened to you. What a betrayal. From someone you considered a friend. I was SMH reading your post last night.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
To expand upon my prior post.

I wouldn't let just anyone try on my ring. It has to be someone I know and trust. Not a stranger.
And I wouldn't do it somewhere that felt unsafe like the subway.
I use my common sense.

But yes, if a friend or family member wants to try on my ring (or earrings if we have alcohol and cotton balls around haha) it's not only not a problem it's my pleasure. :)

737liz

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I let people try my rings on all the time. I interpret any interest in my bling as a polite 'i desperately want a closer look and would like to try it on but don't want to be rude'. So unless we are outside on pavement, I always take them off and offer them to whoever is asking. But, my stuff is of relatively low value. No 5 digit pieces.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think its very sweet that you let your close friend and SIL try your rings on. I think its nice to let people dream a little bit and see
how it feels to wear something that they obviously admire.

Edit...I remember when we went to the PS gtg in Houston, all the rings were going around the table. I really enjoyed looking at them and
trying on some that I knew would never be in my budget. So much fun! Everyone was so nice!

Last edited:

diamondringlady

Rough_Rock
I’m just curious whether family members ,friends or coworkers have asked to try on your jewelry? If so, whom have you allowed to try your jewelry?

I have a hiking friend who always wants to try my rings on after we sit for breakfast after a hike, almost weekly….you know how
hard it is to get my rings off when my fingers are swollen after a hike? I have since told her husband, it is time for him to get an anniversary ring of a significant size so she would stop asking to try on my rings (she always does it in front of her husband as a big hint).

My SIL who lives in Europe visits the US about once a year, and every time she comes, she asks to try on my rings because she doesn’t see people wearing diamonds if a significant size in Europe….even though she lives in an affluent part of Switzerland. I let her indulge and try on my rings, it is only once a year.

I do not mind sharing mine for trying. I take it as a sign of flattery.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My mother & sisters all asked to try on my new Tiffany when we were together in October, as it was the first time they'd seen it. Other than them, I wouldn't let people try on my jewellery.

My SIL's younger sister is a magpie & we love talking jewellery. On the rare occasions we get together in person, she will tug at my finger to pull my pear solitaire off, even though A. It hurt & B. It only went over the first knuckle of her pinky finger as her hands are much larger than mine. That's never stopped her though! She's already said she cannot wait to get her hands on my Tiffany when I see her at Christmas, so I shall tell her I had it sized smaller for extra security & that I find it hard to get off*

(*Read "Back off, Lady! No way!")

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results