shape
carat
color
clarity

Do you have weight issues?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
OK I was trying to be funny with the title, but wanted to ask you girls and guys, how important to you is the weight of the piece of jewellery? Do you feel like pieces that are more substantial seem more "luxurious" i.e. more apropriate for dressing up than those really lightweight ones? I do have that feeling and enjoy the sense of weight, especially if it''s combined with nice workmanship, so I wondered if anyone else feels the same.

simplysplendid

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/4/2009 1:20:38 PM
Author:ma re
OK I was trying to be funny with the title, but wanted to ask you girls and guys, how important to you is the weight of the piece of jewellery? Do you feel like pieces that are more substantial seem more ''luxurious'' i.e. more apropriate for dressing up than those really lightweight ones? I do have that feeling and enjoy the sense of weight, especially if it''s combined with nice workmanship, so I wondered if anyone else feels the same.
Hello, yes, I am with you. I have 2 jewelers - one of them I go to for custom pieces that are more luxurious, generally for my higher value gemstones or purchases. The other is for my fun pieces. The key reasons that the first jeweler gets my business for setting the higher value gemstones is because they use top quality diamonds (nothing short of F or G colour and with teeny tiny hearts and arrows even on melee diamonds) and the setting somehow comes out higher end looking with a more luxurious feel and I do notice that they are heavier. The bands are also always very comfortable as compared to the 2nd jeweler''s setting.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I like a piece of jewelry to have a nice weight, appropriate to the design. However, I don''t think this equates to more or less dressy. Some heavier pieces are more casual, due to the design, or a very fine filigree setting may be quite dressy, but still light weight.

ts44

Brilliant_Rock
My engagement ring is my only piece made of platinum. I feel like the weight of the platinum makes it seem all the more luxurious and substantial compared to my other jewelry. So if I were to get another piece that would be "dressy" and not for everyday wear, yes I feel the weight of it would factor in for me. I need to feel like I''m wearing serious jewelry, you know?
2.gif

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

like big, like heavy.

cheers--Sharon

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
The shorter answer is yes.
9.gif

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/4/2009 5:08:14 PM
Author: ts44

I need to feel like I''m wearing serious jewelry, you know?
2.gif
Exactly! It''s like, when the piece is heavy you actually are more aware of it''s presence and it feels more dressy, doesen''t just look like that. BTW, in this regard, would you consider silver to be a good alternative to gold nowdays when gold is super expensive, eventhough silver isn''t (by most) considered as precious of a metal? Would you be OK with a piece of silver that has a nice weighty feel to it, instead of ordering something hollow/electroformed/lightweight in gold or platinum?

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/5/2009 3:24:21 AM
Author: ma re

2.gif

Exactly! It''s like, when the piece is heavy you actually are more aware of it''s presence and it feels more dressy, doesen''t just look like that. BTW, in this regard, would you consider silver to be a good alternative to gold nowdays when gold is super expensive, eventhough silver isn''t (by most) considered as precious of a metal? Would you be OK with a piece of silver that has a nice weighty feel to it, instead of ordering something hollow/electroformed/lightweight in gold or platinum?

I have a Tiffany silver ring and I really enjoy the weight of it. I didn''t realize how lightweight many silver pieces are made until after I received that ring. Before it, I hadn''t considered silver to be a part of "finer" jewelery, but now I''m starting to. However, my mother would definitely not agree...she''s pretty old school (or rather, gold school?
5.gif
).

ts44

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/5/2009 3:24:21 AM
Author: ma re

2.gif

I would absolutely consider a well-made silver piece to be fine jewelry, even without the recent hike in gold prices. With the price of gold going up, silver is all the more attractive to me.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No I''ve never thought about the weight of my jewelry. I prefer my earrings to be lighter weight. Now the really thin hoops I have I consider to be casual compared to the intricate gold loops I have. But that''s style, not just weight.

As far as necklaces go though I''d say yes a thicker heavier necklace would look dressier or more substantial to me than a thin gold hollow rope necklace.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
One of my favorite rings ever was a 4mm comfort fid gold band. I actually traded it in because I didn''t have anything to wear with it but it was SOOO comfortable and I quickly found I missed it. I generally like small jewelry (under 1 ctw) but I want my bands to be a few mm thick so they don''t feel cheap.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I actually prefer lighter pieces. I find that I''m hyperaware of jewellery that I can feel, and I''m always fiddling with it. By that same logic, though, I also prefer smaller, dainty pieces to bold and heavy, so...

Mrs Mitchell

Ideal_Rock
I like the weight of platinum, it does feel more luxurious. I would way prefer a substantial piece in silver to a flimsy piece in gold and I think it''s a more attractive metal anyway. I can''t remember who it is, but a PSer has a really gorgeous silver bezel ring with a stunning warmer coloured diamond in it. Looks amazing.

Liane

Brilliant_Rock
Other way around for me.

I started my jewelry collection with huge pieces in silver and semi-precious stones. Lots of "ethnic" pieces (Balinese, Thai, Indian, Peruvian, etc.). Many of them weigh a half-pound or more. When I moved up to fine jewelry, I was astonished by how light everything felt in comparison. So in my head, less weight correlates to higher price.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
weight matters!This is how i was trained and it has always stuck...a better quality peice always has good weight!When i wear a piece i want to feel it on my hand or around my neck when i move.But not so heavy that its uncomfortable.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
I have some exquisitely made feather-light antique pieces and some deliciously substantial ones. To me it''s not the weight that counts, it''s the workmanship and the design.

When I was young I preferred delicate jewelry. Now that I''m older and more, um, substantial myself, I like larger pieces too.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/7/2009 9:27:51 PM
Author: glitterata
I have some exquisitely made feather-light antique pieces and some deliciously substantial ones. To me it''s not the weight that counts, it''s the workmanship and the design.

When I was young I preferred delicate jewelry. Now that I''m older and more, um, substantial myself, I like larger pieces too.
OH MY!! I agree with the first statement. I would like to disagree with the second. I think that I need to become less substantial so I can buy less substantial gold items!!! Ah a goal for the new year. Maybe the reward should be in gold?

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
No. It''s not like I''m from some underdeveloped country where you wear your "wealth" layered on.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/9/2009 4:03:21 PM
Author: purrfectpear
No. It''s not like I''m from some underdeveloped country where you wear your ''wealth'' layered on.

That is a pretty tacky comment.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/7/2009 3:35:13 PM
Author: Liane
Other way around for me.

I started my jewelry collection with huge pieces in silver and semi-precious stones. Lots of ''ethnic'' pieces (Balinese, Thai, Indian, Peruvian, etc.). Many of them weigh a half-pound or more. When I moved up to fine jewelry, I was astonished by how light everything felt in comparison. So in my head, less weight correlates to higher price.
With me it''s exactly...the other way around
9.gif
I saw so many low-quality pieces that were really too light and small stones never lasted very long when they set in them, simply because there was not enough metal to hold them. Another thing that comes to mind when talking about insufficient weight is mass produced jewellery sold in mauls or via shopping networks. Of course, I do understand that there are wonderful examples of fine quality in both "weight categories".

But hey, we can''t all like the same things - world would be a boring place if we did
2.gif

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Short answer, yes.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results