shape
carat
color
clarity

Do You Have The Engagement Ring You've Always Wanted?

LunaStar

Rough_Rock
I know that some ladies get the ering of their dreams when they become engaged and some get it later on when the finances will better allow it. Some day I hope to have a 2 carat princess cut solitaire in a platinum cathedral setting. Do you have the ering you have always wanted?

Rivendell

Shiny_Rock
I do but it's not what I thought I wanted! I chose an asscher in a halo but I just didn't love it so it's recently been upgraded to a princess cut in a cathedral setting. It's much more me and I'm so happy with it.

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My husband proposed without a ring and a few days later we had a trip into town to look at some. My mum has a nice cluster ring (bought in the 60's :twirl: ) and for some reason I always thought I'd end up with something similar. I had no idea about different ring styles or anything diamond related, really. Anyway, I tried on lots of different rings and much to my surprise loved a 3 stone. Solitaires didn't look right on my finger and the cluster style just looked dated. Luckily, despite my ignorance, the diamonds appear to be of good quality (although I know I could now "do better" online), and the size is perfect for my life (although teeny by PS standards). I love it still, 18 years later and don't plan to ever change it.

poshmommy

Brilliant_Rock
Yes and no. My original set is a 2 carat asscher set in an antique style setting with a matching baby asscher wedding band made by Whiteflash/Brian Gavin. I loved it then as I do now. However, my taste have changed as I have gotten older and more established in my career. I am fortunate enough to be able to upgrade my ring but still keep the original set intact. I plan to wear the original set to work and travel. The upgraded set will be for pure enjoyment and social outings. I don't buy into the one ring forever idea. It took my husband a bit longer to get on board.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wore my 1 ct diamond for many years. We had three children and braces, college expenses, etc. But around 10 years ago, I told my husband I was wanting to change from yg to platinum and was considering a 3 stone setting to kind of add some size to my ring. And he said why didn't I keep the original and just choose a whole new ring? Yay!!! So, as a researcher by nature, I found PS and thankfully learned about diamond cut before venturing out to buy anything! My first upgrade was 1.6 cts, and 3.5 years ago upgraded to a 2.3 ct AVR from Good Old Gold. My diamond is on the large end for my area, so I won't go larger. I will just likely end up with a couple of diamond rings similar in size! But to answer your question, I have the diamond I think will be the one I keep (the one in my avatar picture), however, I haven't settled on a final setting yet.

daintyG

Brilliant_Rock
As a high schooler, I would look at little jewelry catalogs that came in the mail and I imagined myself with a marquise solitaire. When I got engaged, I received the ring that was number one on the wishlist I had sent DH: a marquise on a filigree shank.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do now, 20 something years later, when I bought it myself-- 1.52 Asscher set in a solitare. (Of course I wish it were bigger lol)

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am in the yes and no camp. My current diamond (1.52 F VS1 ACA) is a keeper. I will probably eventually change the mounting to a different solitaire setting but that ering will have to go with my 4 wedding bands.

My previous ering history: My DH proposed is a .15 ct ering that had a few side accents diamonds. I wore it with a 1/3 ctw channel set band for 16 years. I then picked out a 1/2 ct AGS0 and put it in matching wedding set with PC stones. I moved the 1/2 carat to a 3 stone ering and channel set band about a year later. About 4 years later I upgraded to a .75 carat solitaire with channel set band; found I really didn't like that diamond and upgraded it to a 1 carat.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I didn't really HAVE an engagement ring of my dreams prior to choosing mine. I'd never thought about it very much, and when I did, I figured I wouldn't wear one, or I'd just wear a band. Part of this is because I've always thought (and still think) that engagement rings as a tradition are sexist, and part of it is probably subconsciously because my mother's engagement ring is just a plain band. But then my husband wanted to get something fancy, and I said I wanted a sapphire, and then what I wanted further developed as we shopped for a ring. The ring became the ring of my dreams when I first held and looked at the sapphire and it made my heart sing. I don't know how to describe it but I fell entirely in love with that stone in that moment, and haven't looked back since. I can't imagine changing rings or upgrading later because I can't imagine falling out of love with this stone - maybe, I guess, it could happen, but right now it's incomprehensible. I could imagine maybe changing the setting if I wanted something plainer, but instead I just have other rings with plainer settings.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I still have my original diamonds, a 4.35 emerald with two .40 side baguettes. I started off big because I was 40 when I got married. However a medical condition has seen my fingers get a lot puffier, from a size 5 1/2 to a size 8. I had stopped wearing my beautiful engagement ring because it didn't fit, My original setting couldn't be resized up enough and I ended up having it re set. It is now exactly how I imagined my perfect ring. My mum has had 5 engagement rings over the decades, upgrading each time. Because my husband and I were much more financially secure when we got married, I just went straight to the big size. image_1098.jpg

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not sure yet. I'm happy with what I have now but in twenty years I might want something different.

secretagentlaura

Shiny_Rock
Premium
When we were ring shopping (in 2001), I initially loved bezels, but I was unexpectedly drawn to three-stone settings, and my husband ended up totally surprising me with a boring solitaire. Thank goodness that my wedding ring is gorgeous.

For my 10th anniversary, I was able to pick out a new ring all on my own, so I have a pretty halo with milgrain and my husband doesn't understand what I love about it :) And two years ago, I had my original engagement diamond re-set into a semi-bezel setting and I think it's improved 500%.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results