shape
carat
color
clarity

Do You Have The Engagement Ring You've Always Wanted?

LunaStar

Rough_Rock
I know that some ladies get the ering of their dreams when they become engaged and some get it later on when the finances will better allow it. Some day I hope to have a 2 carat princess cut solitaire in a platinum cathedral setting. Do you have the ering you have always wanted?

Rivendell

Shiny_Rock
I do but it's not what I thought I wanted! I chose an asscher in a halo but I just didn't love it so it's recently been upgraded to a princess cut in a cathedral setting. It's much more me and I'm so happy with it.

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My husband proposed without a ring and a few days later we had a trip into town to look at some. My mum has a nice cluster ring (bought in the 60's :twirl: ) and for some reason I always thought I'd end up with something similar. I had no idea about different ring styles or anything diamond related, really. Anyway, I tried on lots of different rings and much to my surprise loved a 3 stone. Solitaires didn't look right on my finger and the cluster style just looked dated. Luckily, despite my ignorance, the diamonds appear to be of good quality (although I know I could now "do better" online), and the size is perfect for my life (although teeny by PS standards). I love it still, 18 years later and don't plan to ever change it.

poshmommy

Brilliant_Rock
Yes and no. My original set is a 2 carat asscher set in an antique style setting with a matching baby asscher wedding band made by Whiteflash/Brian Gavin. I loved it then as I do now. However, my taste have changed as I have gotten older and more established in my career. I am fortunate enough to be able to upgrade my ring but still keep the original set intact. I plan to wear the original set to work and travel. The upgraded set will be for pure enjoyment and social outings. I don't buy into the one ring forever idea. It took my husband a bit longer to get on board.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wore my 1 ct diamond for many years. We had three children and braces, college expenses, etc. But around 10 years ago, I told my husband I was wanting to change from yg to platinum and was considering a 3 stone setting to kind of add some size to my ring. And he said why didn't I keep the original and just choose a whole new ring? Yay!!! So, as a researcher by nature, I found PS and thankfully learned about diamond cut before venturing out to buy anything! My first upgrade was 1.6 cts, and 3.5 years ago upgraded to a 2.3 ct AVR from Good Old Gold. My diamond is on the large end for my area, so I won't go larger. I will just likely end up with a couple of diamond rings similar in size! But to answer your question, I have the diamond I think will be the one I keep (the one in my avatar picture), however, I haven't settled on a final setting yet.

daintyG

Brilliant_Rock
As a high schooler, I would look at little jewelry catalogs that came in the mail and I imagined myself with a marquise solitaire. When I got engaged, I received the ring that was number one on the wishlist I had sent DH: a marquise on a filigree shank.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do now, 20 something years later, when I bought it myself-- 1.52 Asscher set in a solitare. (Of course I wish it were bigger lol)

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am in the yes and no camp. My current diamond (1.52 F VS1 ACA) is a keeper. I will probably eventually change the mounting to a different solitaire setting but that ering will have to go with my 4 wedding bands.

My previous ering history: My DH proposed is a .15 ct ering that had a few side accents diamonds. I wore it with a 1/3 ctw channel set band for 16 years. I then picked out a 1/2 ct AGS0 and put it in matching wedding set with PC stones. I moved the 1/2 carat to a 3 stone ering and channel set band about a year later. About 4 years later I upgraded to a .75 carat solitaire with channel set band; found I really didn't like that diamond and upgraded it to a 1 carat.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I didn't really HAVE an engagement ring of my dreams prior to choosing mine. I'd never thought about it very much, and when I did, I figured I wouldn't wear one, or I'd just wear a band. Part of this is because I've always thought (and still think) that engagement rings as a tradition are sexist, and part of it is probably subconsciously because my mother's engagement ring is just a plain band. But then my husband wanted to get something fancy, and I said I wanted a sapphire, and then what I wanted further developed as we shopped for a ring. The ring became the ring of my dreams when I first held and looked at the sapphire and it made my heart sing. I don't know how to describe it but I fell entirely in love with that stone in that moment, and haven't looked back since. I can't imagine changing rings or upgrading later because I can't imagine falling out of love with this stone - maybe, I guess, it could happen, but right now it's incomprehensible. I could imagine maybe changing the setting if I wanted something plainer, but instead I just have other rings with plainer settings.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I still have my original diamonds, a 4.35 emerald with two .40 side baguettes. I started off big because I was 40 when I got married. However a medical condition has seen my fingers get a lot puffier, from a size 5 1/2 to a size 8. I had stopped wearing my beautiful engagement ring because it didn't fit, My original setting couldn't be resized up enough and I ended up having it re set. It is now exactly how I imagined my perfect ring. My mum has had 5 engagement rings over the decades, upgrading each time. Because my husband and I were much more financially secure when we got married, I just went straight to the big size. image_1098.jpg

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not sure yet. I'm happy with what I have now but in twenty years I might want something different.

secretagentlaura

Shiny_Rock
Premium
When we were ring shopping (in 2001), I initially loved bezels, but I was unexpectedly drawn to three-stone settings, and my husband ended up totally surprising me with a boring solitaire. Thank goodness that my wedding ring is gorgeous.

For my 10th anniversary, I was able to pick out a new ring all on my own, so I have a pretty halo with milgrain and my husband doesn't understand what I love about it :) And two years ago, I had my original engagement diamond re-set into a semi-bezel setting and I think it's improved 500%.

Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    Who was Jean Schlumberger?
    Who was Jean Schlumberger?
    The Jewelry of Disney's Cruella
    The Jewelry of Disney's Cruella
    He Said, "Yes!"
    He Said, "Yes!"

Holloway Cut Advisor

Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.