shape
carat
color
clarity

do you have good penmanship?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
why are some of the well educated professionals have such ugly hand writing skill ?

oneandahalfrock

Shiny_Rock
Nope- my dad''s a computer programmer, so we''ve had computers since I was born (early 80''s)- anything important has always been typed :D
I believe the guys I work with have referred to my penmanship as ''man-writing''.

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Only sometimes and it''s not a good thing as I''m a teacher. I''m left handed and it''s harder to teach us to do anything (write, cut, sew, crochet, etc.) because it''s all backwards. I try very hard, but my writing isn''t as nice as I''d like it to be.

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
No! I have a friend who jokes about my "secret bad handwriting" because I don''t allow many people to see it.

It''s chicken scratch.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

It is extremely good, thank you :). When I briefly taught school a couple of years ago I inadvertently caused a ruckus by writing "in cursive" on the blackboard. No one had told me that a series of laws against cursive writing had been passed and that children could no longer decipher it, even by eighth grade.

AGBF
34.gif

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
My penmanship isn't "pretty" or have especially great style, however, if I take the time to nicely print each letter, overall it looks fairly good. Mostly I write everything in a hurry and it's a sloppy mess.

Also, at least for me, the visual results of my writing depend upon which pen I'm using. Some styles cause my writing to look terrible.

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/19/2009 11:41:21 PM
Author: AGBF

It is extremely good, thank you :). When I briefly taught school a couple of years ago I inadvertently caused a ruckus by writing ''in cursive'' on the blackboard. No one had told me that a series of laws against cursive writing had been passed and that children could no longer decipher it, even by eighth grade.

AGBF
34.gif

That''s very interesting! Where were you living at the time?

My penmanship is atrocious, because I rarely have to write anything. It was better in high school, but my biggest thing is that I get in too big of a hurry, and when I try to slow down, I wobble because it feels unnatural.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
If I take the time, then yes. If I don''t, it rivals the worst thing you''ve ever seen on a Rx form.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mine look like printed text due to threats by teachers that if it isn''t legible, then the examiners will get frustrated and give us a very bad score. Our examinations require a lot of writing and must be completed within a short time frame so we were forced to write quickly and legibly. It''s not necessarily pretty though.

E B

Ideal_Rock
I do, and have since I was little.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have very good penmanship, thank you very much.
9.gif

How is your penmanship Dancing Fire?? Supa Granny wants to know.
25.gif

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Date:
5/19/2009 11:45:34 PM
Author: MonkeyPie

It is extremely good, thank you :). When I briefly taught school a couple of years ago I inadvertently caused a ruckus by writing ''in cursive'' on the blackboard. No one had told me that a series of laws against cursive writing had been passed and that children could no longer decipher it, even by eighth grade.

I''m sorry, MokeyPie. I was being facetious about the "series of laws". I meant that the children had so little ability to read script/cursive writing that the only logical explanation for such a lapse would be that legislation barring them from learning it must have been passed! It was a joke.

I assume that you now don''t want to know where I was living!!!

Hugs,
AGBF

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/19/2009 11:57:55 PM

Date:
5/19/2009 11:45:34 PM

Author: MonkeyPie

I''m sorry, MokeyPie. I was being facetious about the ''series of laws''. I meant that the children had so little ability to read script/cursive writing that the only logical explanation for such a lapse would be that legislation barring them from learning it must have been passed! It was a joke.

I assume that you now don''t want to know where I was living!!!

Hugs,
AGBF

OH hahaha! That''s what I get for taking everything so literal
20.gif
Nuts! I was thinking it would be interesting to hear of a place that didn''t allow cursive, hah!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/19/2009 11:50:48 PM
Author: Linda W
9.gif

25.gif
it use to be pretty good when i was young til the computer keyboard came along. now my penmanship skill is terrible,along with my bad grammers and spelling
14.gif
my grandfather use to made me practice my Chinese writing skill everyday after school.

Granny, i knew you would have Ex penmanship,cuz every school report had to be written by hand back in the old days. nowadays, all the kids use the computer to type their school reports,so no wonder kids have ugly hand writing these days. my 22 yr old daughter''s hand writing looks like it was written by a 3rd grader.
14.gif

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/20/2009 12:47:05 AM
Author: Dancing Fire
Date: 5/19/2009 11:50:48 PM

Author: Linda W

9.gif

25.gif
it use to be pretty good when i was young til the computer keyboard came along. now my penmanship skill is terrible,along with my bad grammers and spelling
14.gif
my grandfather use to made me practice my Chinese writing skill everyday after school.

Granny, i knew you would have Ex penmanship,cuz every school report had to be written by hand back in the old days. nowadays, all the kids use the computer to type their school reports,so no wonder kids have ugly hand writing these days. my 22 yr old daughter''s hand writing looks like it was written by a 3rd grader.
14.gif

ha ha ha, you are right. My grandboys are still printing, no handwriting yet or computers. That will come soon.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
YES!!! But hubby''s?? Oh that''s a different story... hehe.
31.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/19/2009 11:50:35 PM
Author: EBree
ha,ha...then you must be the same age as my Granny Linda.
9.gif

E B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/20/2009 1:12:08 AM

9.gif

If Granny Linda and I are the same age, then you''re old enough to be our father.
2.gif
Papa DF.

I don''t think my penmanship is "proper," but it''s nice and neat. Print with a bit of cursive thrown in. I''ve had several teachers and coworkers comment on it.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/20/2009 1:29:25 AM
Date: 5/20/2009 1:12:08 AM

9.gif

If Granny Linda and I are the same age, then you''re old enough to be our father.
2.gif
Papa DF.

I don''t think my penmanship is ''proper,'' but it''s nice and neat. Print with a bit of cursive thrown in. I''ve had several teachers and coworkers comment on it.

Dancing Fire: Ebree is probably old enough to be my daughter, you naughty boy.
11.gif

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Extremely good penmanship. Remember those cursive alphabets from elementary school? I wrote the originals.
27.gif
Seriously though, my handwriting looks *exactly* like those old cards. I guess I had no imagination back in the day. I also did some calligraphy and use fountain pens a lot, so it comes more naturally. My signature could be forged by anyone who ever studied plain palmer style cursive!

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
Not my best, because a good example.

I told my students that if I couldn''t read their work, it was going in file 13, Anyone have a clue what that means?

file_13.jpg

kittybean

Ideal_Rock
I have very good penmanship. My cursive is neat and pretty, but I really take pride in my print. I've tried my hand at calligraphy, but I like printing better. I still hand write a lot of things at work, and it's important for others to be able to quickly read and understand my notes, so I try to make them as neat as possible.

ETA: To answer your other question, DF--I'm assuming it's not rhetorical--I'm a "well-educated professional," and I have awesome handwriting skillz
9.gif

doodle

Brilliant_Rock
My handwriting is so terrible that my father FREAKS if I use red ink for anything because he says it looks like I scrawled in someone else''s blood while in a psychotic rage. My seventh grade English teacher told me that my writing looked like "a drunken chicken stumbled across a piece of paper with ink on its feet." In my case, I think a lot of it has to do with plain old spite--in my school, we learned cursive in the fifth grade, and my teacher was EVIL crazy about some penmanship, so I deliberately formed letters incorrectly just spite her because the teacher yelled at me in front of everyone so often for not writing the way she wanted me to. Mom still has the letter the teacher wrote home after I told this lady that she "couldn''t suppress my individuality"--did I mention I was 11 at the time!?! I also changed the spelling of my first name that year because the woman always freaked that the loop in my "y" overlapped the loop in the "g" so instead of changing how I wrote it, I just started spelling my name M-A-G-G-I instead of M-A-G-G-Y. Yes, I was difficult!
11.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
I write better with a 10-22 than with a pen
pens have never fit my hand
Not even I can read it unless I print very slowly.

Sabine

Ideal_Rock
Nope. One of the biggest complaints my students have, but it''s a function of rushing most of the time. When I take classes and I''m taking notes for myself, then yes, but in grading and even writing on the board, the most they can say is that it''s usually readable.

White Orchid

Shiny_Rock
I have awful penmanship! I try to keep it hidden too by typing out most things.

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
My cursive is decent if I put my mind to it (which isn''t often). My normal printing is an odd cursive/print hybrid that can be difficult to read.

My sister on the other hand, has such nice and unique writing that a graphic designer she knows asked her if he could create a font based on her handwriting!

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock

My cursive is terrible. It looks like a 2nd grader wrote it. I only learned it in 2-3rd grade, and haven''t used it since. I really have to *think* to use it. I can''t even remember how to do all the letters all the time. Man that sounds bad, but no one has expected cursive of me since I was about 8.

My regular printing is nice when I put even a small amount of effort, but if I''m scrambling to write something down, it''s messy... legible, but messy.

jet2ks

Ideal_Rock
Nope! I don''t think I could remember how to write in cursive if you put a gun to my head and my printing resembles chicken scratches.

The sad part about that is that I used to do a little calligraphy, and even won some art awards for it in middle & high school. When I take the time doing that, it looks great, but the rest of my writing is awful.

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
I actually get a lot of compliments on my handwriting (I''m a teacher, so it''s something students notice). That said, proper it is not. My Ts and Fs are influenced by the early days of PDAs, so they''re a bit weird.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results