shape
carat
color
clarity

Do you have an Ipad??

beesha77

Shiny_Rock
I'm thinking of getting one as a tax return present :bigsmile: and heard I really only need the 16gb. If you have one do you love it? It would really just to be to surf the net etc. Thanks!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I see no reason for one since I already have a laptop.

LGK

Ideal_Rock
kenny|1301951556|2887695 said:
Ditto, between laptop and iphone I have literally NO use for an ipad. Another option is doing that thing with the Nook Color to turn it into a tablet. Much cheaper. I think ForteKitty did that- rooting it? I think that's the term? Gah I wasn't paying much attention clearly... but I figured if either me or my husband decided for whatever reason we couldn't live without a tablet, I would probably do that rather than get an ipad, the price is way cheaper.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
We have one, and I really like it. I find it less cumbersome than a laptop, because I like to use it to read the paper.

I also have fairly poor eyesight, so the zoom function really helps me. I also like to have an assortment of web pages open at once, and it organizes them into a handy grid pattern.

The apps are fun, and the cat toy apps are big enough for my cat to see (and ignore after he realizes they're 2D). 90% of the iPhone apps work fine on the iPad, so any games you like will transfer.

It's also good in the car (if you get the cell sevice) for GPS, cause it's nice and big. We only sign up for the cell service for long trips, and we can surf the web in the car PLUS find our way. I can check in on PS at 70 miles per hour (someone else driving, obviously)! :appl:

I do find the automatic spelling corrector incredibly annoying, though! When I'm typing searches into Google, it tries to correct my spelling on the fly, and always gets it wrong. Annoying! :rolleyes:

With a program & box called Sling Player, I can watch my DVR at home while I'm on the car trip. I have no idea how my DH hooked it up, but it's pretty awesome.

Overall, it's pretty cool, not a necessity, but fun.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
iLander|1301952661|2887720 said:
I do find the automatic spelling corrector incredibly annoying, though! When I'm typing searches into Google, it tries to correct my spelling on the fly, and always gets it wrong. Annoying! :rolleyes:

Have you seen this site? :bigsmile: http://damnyouautocorrect.com/

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
Yes. I have the ipad2 and I can touch type on it in bed. I absolutely adore it. Battery life is very good.

Much less cumbersome than the laptop and I find the iPhone too small to surf on comfortably.

My wonderful fiancé bought it for me, and hey, who doesn't love a present?

suchende

Brilliant_Rock
I really think one of us (BF or me) need to get one because the monitor parts of our laptops keep "kissing" when we're snuggled on the couch or in bed.

iugurl

Shiny_Rock

That is what I thought. DH wanted one last anniversary. I thought it was a waste of time as we both have laptops and Droid phones with the internet. However, it was his present, so if he wanted it, then I didn't care.

But.... I love it! I use it more than him! I still use my laptop a lot. However, it is so nice to use in certain circumstances. For example, I am cooking and need to look up a recipe or cook time or whatever, I can use it quickly. I don't have to wait to turn on, load, open the internet. It is always on, just press the button and boom on. No wait time. I realize that sounds lazy, that I couldn't wait the 3 or 4 minutes for my computer to turn on, but I don't care :cheeky: . :cheeky:

If I am in bed and want to look around on the computer, the laptop is annoying, bulky, and heavy when I am lying down. It also is a pain, since the laptop battery goes down a lot quicker (2/3 hours) so if it is already 1/2 dead, then I can't use it for very long or I will have to move my huge laptop cord, and try to plug it in behind my bed. The ipad lasts like 10 hours (I think), so that is never really a problem. It is also nice when we go to my parents/friends, we don't have to pack up the laptop and charger, just grab the ipad and head out the door.

We have the original ipad 32 gb wifi and 3g version. We don't actually have the internet service since we don't want to pay the monthly fee, but if we wanted to, we could. Almost everywhere we go has wifi, so I see no need for it. Even if you are somewhere without internet, it is still fun as I can play games, listen to music, read books that are already downloaded, among other things.

I think you will love it! I haven't seen the ipad 2, but I am sure it is just as great, probably a little better w/ the new features.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
My parents have one, and they use it a lot. I never really saw a use for them except one thing...it would be really nice to take into work to read pdfs of research papers during downtime. For everything else, either my Droid or my laptop are fine.

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
jstarfireb|1301958981|2887826 said:
My parents have one, and they use it a lot. I never really saw a use for them except one thing...it would be really nice to take into work to read pdfs of research papers during downtime. For everything else, either my Droid or my laptop are fine.

So that's what I'm doing wrong.

I never read research papers in downtime. :cheeky:

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a desktop and a laptop, as well as an ipad, and I use them all differently.

Anything I want to print I use the desktop for, and that's down in my office. If I'm in the living room or at the breakfast bar I use my laptop if I'm going to do a lot of email or other typing, but in bed I probably use the ipad and laptop 50/50. And I LOVE LOVE LOVE being able to throw the ipad in my purse and go anywhere with it. I have even taken it overseas in lieu of a laptop and I can't believe how long I lived without it!

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
rosetta|1301960254|2887851 said:
jstarfireb|1301958981|2887826 said:

So that's what I'm doing wrong.

I never read research papers in downtime. :cheeky:

Haha, well, one must HAVE downtime to read during downtime. :tongue:

iluvcarats

Ideal_Rock
I love :love: my iPad.

It is so amazing. I use it all the time. I surf the web, I use it as a kindle, I watch Netfix, play scrabble, read the news, email, listen to music - everything. Using it right now :bigsmile: I have bad eyesight and I like the touchscreen b/c I can make the print any size I want. It is so great for the gym too. I think it's the best.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have one. Wasn't sure what to think of it at first and didn't even use it for a few weeks. What I like about it is it's portable and I can also watch Netflix movies on it (so I can watch fun things the kids/dh don't want to watch). Also, if I'm reading a book and want to quickly look something up on Wikipedia, I can do so w/out getting on the main computer. What I HATE about it, is that the keyboard takes up half the screen so it's a pain to type messages. Also, the other is the damn autocorrect. I will write out a name and it takes 5 tries to get it all right.

We've had it for a month or two so I'm still getting the hang of what what I do and don't like about it. It is convenient if you have the extra $ for electronics. My husband LOVES it...

Also, we have two computers and when the kids are on those, it is nice to have the ipad as a back-up for browsing.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock

Oh, and to add, I don't have a laptop. Not sure what I would choose, but my MIL's laptop does have a disc slot which was nice for watching movies...

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love mine. It fits in my purse. I *wish* I had a 3G connection so I could surf with the big screen while I'm traveling. I use it in bed. I used to use my phone but it's so much nicer to use the bigger screen. I don't have to carry around a bag full of cables and wires. It's pack and play - on the go is so easy. It's good for moving around from room to room. You don't even need a flat surface. I use my iphone, ipad, and laptop interchangeably but for me the ipad is about as different to my laptop as my iphone is. They are three items I use in different ways and if I had to give up one of them it would probably be the ipad only because the other two fulfill the extreme needs of communication and computing - but the ipad is a bridge and I LOVE that for most things I can just use the one.

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, I got the Motorola Xoom and love it.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
My husband got one last year, and he adores it: it's fabulous for reading comics, watching movies on the go, and reading while traveling. If you fly a lot, they're lifesavers on multiple counts. His main complaint, if I remember correctly, is that you can't really multitask (like, no reading a book and quickly dodging over to check something on the net). But frankly, something that helps focus can't be all bad ....

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
I bought my husband an iPad when they first came out. Because of limited supply and high demand I ended up getting the most expensive model because that was the ONLY one I could get my hands on that day without ordering one and waiting almost a month and a half--with big purchases I usually get buyers remorse, so it's best if I actually do the whole cash/carry thing. With that said, most of the memory is empty and it was a HUGE waste of $$$ to go that high up in the options (I could have bought a fairly decent Mac Book Air for the same price) but such is life. 16g would be more than fine...my husband loaded his up with apps and music and movies and TV shows and it's no where near full, it's almost laughable. I cannot imagine the monster app-addict who could fill that bad boy up, I shudder at the thought.

My husband LOVES the iPad. I personally couldn't care less about it, and I hardly use it. I like using my laptop, but that's just me. He takes it everywhere with him, the 3g is super resourceful and comes in very handy, so make sure you get that. On our recent trip, we were able to just use it like a very streamline computer while on the go. On second thought, if you have an iPhone the latest update allows you to turn your phone into a hotspot, so you could go with the wifi only and add the hotspot to your data plan for an additional $15.00 per month/per phone which would work just as easily.

I do antique restoration on the side as a hobby, and my husband manages all the business stuff via the iPad. It's like a work computer for him. It's not a big scale thing, but the iPad has a lot of small business resources.

The screen is amazing, I'll say that. We watch movies on the airplane and I have a season pass to Criminal Minds, so I can play catch up on there. I also have magazine subscriptions on there to store like Pottery Barn, so the catalog updates itself and I can flip thru casually. That's pretty nice...but honestly, that's as far as my usage goes.

In short, the iPad is a giant iPhone. If you have one you probably don't need the other, kind of like having an iPhone and an iPod. But, a lot of people have them and love them...so why not?

les12

Shiny_Rock
I just bought one and love it! We only have one laptop between us and were debating on a second laptop or an ipad. For half the price, we chose the ipad, since it does almost everything a laptop can do, as far as surfing the net, emailing, etc. We both have iphones but are moving out of the country and will likely have to give those up so our ipad will get plenty of use as a replacement for those as well!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
les12|1302017473|2888254 said:
I just bought one and love it! We only have one laptop between us and were debating on a second laptop or an ipad. For half the price, we chose the ipad, since it does almost everything a laptop can do, as far as surfing the net, emailing, etc. We both have iphones but are moving out of the country and will likely have to give those up so our ipad will get plenty of use as a replacement for those as well!
don't be so quick to get rid of your iphone - I know you are likely not going to be able to use it officially, but let me tell you here in china almost everyone has their jailbroken iphones and they are our lifelines. When you get to know your new community, discuss it with them before you make a decision. You may be surprised to find helpful resources.

les12

Shiny_Rock
Cehrabehra|1302025747|2888406 said:
les12|1302017473|2888254 said:
don't be so quick to get rid of your iphone - I know you are likely not going to be able to use it officially, but let me tell you here in china almost everyone has their jailbroken iphones and they are our lifelines. When you get to know your new community, discuss it with them before you make a decision. You may be surprised to find helpful resources.
Oh, I most definitely will look into it, but as far as I can tell they don't really have a great system for iphone use. We're moving to Trinidad and they are a little behind when it comes to technology. I sure hope I'm wrong though:)

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am sitting here reading ps in bed on my ipad2. After this I will probably watch Netflix while hubby watches basketball. I love the screen and all the apps. I do everything on here. I can bank from bed, talk on fb, even FaceTime with my gf if I feel like it! I also use it tons in the kitchen as I have several cookbook sites loaded. Great for traveling! I have the 3G model but have not turned the 3G on yet.

confusedaisy

Shiny_Rock
Yes! Get it! It will change your life!!

It is money well spent!! It's not a cell, and it's not a laptop. There is space in your life for an in-between thing. I love it!!

CdnBlingGal

Brilliant_Rock
I love my iPad. I love electronics and gadgets. I can take it anywhere. I love the 3G capabilities. There are certain functions an iPad can not do but that's what my PC is for. It definitely keeps me entertained while on transit, Dr's office, work etc.

Highly recommend the iPad with Wifi and 3G capability if you don't have a smartphone.

beesha77

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for all the info!!! I have a laptop at work that stays at work, and a home pc. Really the only time i used my laptop at home was while i was in bed, or sitting on the couch, etc and surfing the net. I think the ipad would be perfect. OF course I can't find any! I only want the 16gb which i figure is plenty for me but have yet to find any near me, everyone is sold out. So as soon as i can find one, i will get it! :) I'm exciteD!

GameSeeker

Rough_Rock
No, and I have not intentions to do it, I dont like it since fragile to me :read:

redfaerythinker

Brilliant_Rock
Dee*Jay|1301960608|2887858 said:
I have a desktop and a laptop, as well as an ipad, and I use them all differently.

Anything I want to print I use the desktop for, and that's down in my office. If I'm in the living room or at the breakfast bar I use my laptop if I'm going to do a lot of email or other typing, but in bed I probably use the ipad and laptop 50/50. And I LOVE LOVE LOVE being able to throw the ipad in my purse and go anywhere with it. I have even taken it overseas in lieu of a laptop and I can't believe how long I lived without it!

This, exactly, even down to the overseas trip. I LOVE my iPad!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results