shape
carat
color
clarity

Do you feel PriceScope has changed what you want in jewelry significantly?

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've always been a gemstone hoarder so probably not in that respect, owing a 5.34 OEC - hell yeah, I blame *cough cough* PS for enabling me :)

Allisonfaye

Brilliant_Rock
I have always loved diamonds or rather rhinestones. My grandmother used to have a big drawer full of fake stuff back in the 60's and 70's and I always wanted to play dress up with the rhinestone necklaces.

I know a lot more than I used to about diamonds. Only learned how to use the HCA thing recently. At some point, I will upgrade my current stone and then I will be done with anything diamond other than maybe a stackable band of some sort.

My favorite part of having been on PS is going into a jewelry store, especially a high end one and figuring out that a $450k ring has a crappy cut diamond.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I joined to do some research when we were ER shopping. I didn't really know what I wanted & the styles I saw here did influence what i got in the end. Some of the things I learned:

- It's ok and maybe not that unusual that I didn't like most of the things I was seeing in my local jewelry stores (which was starting to drive my SO a little crazy)
- It's ok and maybe not that unusual that I like warm / colored stones more than colorless ones
- Made me more comfortable with the idea of buying from a reputable online or remote vendor (and I learned about websites/vendors I'd never heard of before)
- There are very nice rings to be had in a wide range of sizes, shapes, styles, and budgets

It also made me want to get rid of things in my jewelry box that I don't wear frequently but hold onto for whatever reason and consolidate to a few things that I'll use often.

And +1 to @Allisonfaye 's comment above about that feeling when you know something is overpriced...it's changed how I would shop for jewelry in the future.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
PS = enabler. Yes. Never even wanted jewelry. It actually changed my life. In the end, for the better... :mrgreen2: Made some great friendships here.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I came here originally when my husband said I could get a new diamond for an anniversary, and I knew I wanted high quality but I didn't exactly know what that meant or where to find it! So I learned about superideal cuts here, and later, antique cuts (old and new).

As a result of PS:
1) I have bigger diamonds than I ever would have expected (I thought 1.6 was pretty big when I did my first upgrade in 2006!!!). Wow, the average stone has grown over that time! I am just not comfortable wearing over the 2+ ct range where I live.

2) I have specialty cuts that I wouldn't have been able to access like AVR/AVC from Jon and Yoram as well as an antique asscher that I love.

3) I have other high quality diamond pieces such as studs, DBTY, etc. that I couldn't have accessed where I live.

4) Fantastic jewelry makers were discovered here...Victor and Caysie have made most of my custom pieces.

5) Greater access to seeing designer pieces from VCA and Cartier...all I really had nearby was Tiffany.

So in a way, I am like some previous posters in that I have always loved jewelry and wanted high quality, timeless pieces, but I just couldn't find it until I found PS!

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Prior to PS (and actually DT - which was a forum right before PS) all I had in mind was a round diamond. I had seen my aunt's magnificent massive pear diamond growing up, but didn't even consider other shapes.

Cue 14 years down the road. I am better educated and loving other shapes, including old cuts. I know much better what my color tolerance levels are depending on shapes - e.g. an I color emerald-cut is divine, but my sweet spot for pears and ovals is a G.

Hey uhhhh your avatar made me do a double take, Hassam is one of my favorites, I have a giant framed print of that painting in my living room.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes in terms of ideal cut in diamonds. I would have been blissfully happy getting something from Blue Nile or Costco that was the right color and clarity specs. Now I want to hold out for a super ideal cut diamond.

Phanie

Shiny_Rock
Oh absolutely! I used to spend hours staring at the jewelry at Costco when I was a kid imagining the day I'd be able to buy something from them, now my tastes have changed so much and I've been so exposed to big ass pieces that I barely hesitate when I go to Costco now

My costco always has 5ct+ stuff on display!!!!!

Phanie

Shiny_Rock
Yes. I knew I wanted a bigger diamond before going on PS I just did not know I could get a BETTER quality bigger diamond for less money if I educated myself and look around and no trust the mall jewelers, without having to go to Cartier/VCA/etc.
But the best part of PS is the friends I have gained from being part of this forum.
I am still so surprised that I have been adopted by wonderful people. I am so blessed.
:love:
You guys have saved me from going to Jared!

Q

Queenie60

I am now more aware of what I purchase as far as quality. And I am much more particular about my purchases in terms of the cut of the stones. I love sparkly bling now more than ever. Thank you PS, there's no turning back.:love:

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This 100% :clap: I am now better educated therefore I now make fewer, but higher quality gemstone purchases with the aim of actually setting them faster.

My standards are higher after PS. It has made me much more critical though so in a sense ignorance is bliss but knowledge makes for more informed purchases.

P

PierreBear

Hello Calliecake! I always knew that jewelry was important to me. I didn't care about the wedding venue, food, dress etc but the e-ring was something that I was sensitive to. Once PS opened my eyes, I think I was most enlightened by all different setting types and options. I was always aware that there were big stones but only associated it with celebrities. I was completely blind that there were custom makers like LM, SK, VC, and CVB to just name a few though I have yet to get one of their settings. Wow, you can truly have artwork on a finger?! PS has showed me countless examples of amazing large stones in an understated solitaire setting but I've also seen examples of beautiful size stones in intricate settings that are just as eye catching.

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
Yes and no.

I love colorless diamonds, love them! :love::love:

Before joining PS, I never really understood the nuances of color grades, better cut diamonds, and all the setting choices out there.. just wow. And I'm grateful that PS introduced me to Sholdt who makes my favorite semi bezel of all time!

After being on the forum for a few years though, I realized I prefer well cut modern rounds, but they don't need to be super ideals. I am also not a fan of lower color diamonds, even in antique stones (cushion, oec's), and I definitely prefer a balance of color, clarity, cut and carat. Carat being last on my list - I know that's not the norm here.

Where PS hasn't influenced me is size. I've had my 2.52, G, VS2 for about 9 years now and I still love it. No DSS here. But that could also be anything much larger, would be very awkward for my lifestyle.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've always been a bigger fan of good metal work and of color than of diamonds. PS has improved (and enlarged!) the diamonds I own, true, but I feel like I'm still hunting for the metalwork creativity that I love so much.

This love of good metalwork DOES flow over into my experience of diamonds on one level tho; however nice a diamond is, it's like nails down a chalk board to me if the setting is off. I'd rather wear a plain metal band than a ring with lumpy prongs - GAAAAAHHHHH!

All that to say - this is probably why my favorite piece of jewelry is my pendant commemorating my darling dog; it's a large, unique, heavy piece, set with some tiny stones of highest possible quality, utilizing an antique chain, made with an interesting bail, precise engraving, beautiful proportions, and on and on and on. I know I will never see another piece like it, or one more individual - and likely never feel one as heavy, either; there is a loooooot of gold in that necklace. To me, it's more of a statement piece than any diamond I will ever own and far more interesting, visually.

If I could go back and do it all over again, I'd by-pass half of what I currently own and about 90% of what I've bought (and then gotten rid of!) and would buy one, delicious, 5+ct ruby and set it in heavy, carved, 20kt yellow gold.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results